midwest 22-Feb-18
Razorrick 22-Feb-18
Razorrick 23-Feb-18
Ron Niziolek 23-Feb-18
Razorrick 23-Feb-18
midwest 24-Feb-18
Ron Niziolek 24-Feb-18
22-Feb-18
New member, I’ve been rifle elk hunting several times but never with bow. I have a 7YO seldom used 31” Hoyt Maxxis bow with 50lb pull ( I think). Haven’t pull it for 5 years since both shoulders had rotator cuff surgery. I’m 59YO with ave strength. Going elk hunting in WYOMING Thorofare area this fall. My question is: Is this bow adequate and has bow technology changed enough to warrant considering a new bow? Thanks. Rick

22-Feb-18
Welcome to the Bowsite!

That bow will work just fine. Just spend some time setting up the right broadhead-arrow system and get it tuned up for that bow and it is plenty enough to get the job done.

Heck, some of us are still able to get it done with much older technology!

Good luck!

22-Feb-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Welcome Rick. Elk have been killed with sticks and stones, then spears, then arrows with stone tips, then self bows, recurve bow, and now compound bow of all makes and models. I would take your current bow to a qualified bow shop, have it fit to size, pull and poundage, check the timing and string/cable, sights, arrow spine and length, weights, broad head flight, field tip arrow flight and once you have all of that accomplished , practice a lot. Fifty Pounds?????? if that is all you can draw at your age and average strength, the bow will do. but I bet you might be able to increase the pull weight with consistent practice and weight training. If only 50# use cut on impact broad heads for better penetration at that weight, and also determine you effective range.

Shooting a bow is one thing, Hunting elk with a bow is another and higher challenge.

my best, Paul

22-Feb-18
Not a damn thing wrong with that bow. Good luck and have a great adventure in the Thorofare! Take plenty of pics then come back to share a story. That's grizz country, pilgrim!

22-Feb-18
Thanks for everyone’s input. I’ll take my bow in to a shop and have evaluated. Hunted this past year in same general area and some fellow hunters had a grizzly charge them. We saw 2 others. It’s a real concern.

23-Feb-18
I will be riding in on horse/mule 30 miles in and then riding daily to various drainages. Is a bow scabbard a good option to keep bow safe while riding?

23-Feb-18
Your bow will be fine as long as you spend some time with it and have it tuned up and ready to roll.

If you decide to go the bow scabbard route, no need to buy one. I have one you can use, just pick it up at my house in Cody before you go and return after.

23-Feb-18
Thanks Ron. That’s very kind of u to offer!!!

24-Feb-18
You should take Ron. Grizz is scared of Ron!

24-Feb-18
Ha. They really aren't Nick, they just haven't chewed on me yet..........

• Sitka Gear