Tonybear61 24-Feb-18
Butternut40 24-Feb-18
DrLongbeard 25-Feb-18
NEIAbowhunter 25-Feb-18
Ibow 25-Feb-18
No Mercy 25-Feb-18
TODDY 25-Feb-18
24-Feb-18
Thinking of trying a Minnesota black bear hunt. Has anyone hunted bears in Minnesota? Recommend any outfitters? I thought about Wisconsin but it looks like that is a 4 year draw minimum and I don't really want to wait. It's about a 9 hour drive to the Canadian border so I could potentially scout and try to do it DIY if I could get some tips on where would be a promising area to start looking.

24-Feb-18
East central Minn. between Interstate 35 and Wis.border. East of Sandstone, Hinckley area should be the non-quota area and lots of state and county land. Don't remember how far north the non-quota goes. Maybe one could find private land too? Have no idea how much hunting pressure there is on public land.

24-Feb-18
I live in area 12, it generally takes 3 years to draw here.

24-Feb-18
I know people in Wisconsin zone c that are drawing tags with 1 point

24-Feb-18

Ibow's Link
Here’s a link to a Minnesota bear hunt from a couple years ago that you might be able to glean a little info from.

http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=446065&messages=127&forum=6

24-Feb-18
NEIA PM sent

24-Feb-18
Thanks Ibow. I was just going to post that!

NEIA pm sent

24-Feb-18

Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Guy from Roseau shot this monster last fall, 721 pounds.

24-Feb-18
NEIA if you want to PM me we can talk, don't want all the places in NE Central non-quota area all over the internet.

24-Feb-18

Butternut40's Link
A diy is very possible given you have enough time and location picked. Here's a clip of a small bear that came into my bait the first hour on stand. To me the fun part of bear hunting is the baiting process.

25-Feb-18

DrLongbeard's embedded Photo
Here's my chocolate.
DrLongbeard's embedded Photo
Here's my chocolate.
NEIA-You should try Clearwater Bear Stalkers, just north of Bemidji. I have hunted with them a few times and will be going back again at some point. I know that the hunting has been really good there the past few years.

The outfitter, Dan Hendrickson, is a great guy and there are a lot of bear in that part of the state. He is listed on the MN DNR website as a registered guide and you can reach him at [email protected]. He usually puts a ton of baits out, and has cameras on them all. I took a nice chocolate bear up there a few years ago. My friends went 2/2 there 2 years ago and last year, the one that went got a bear the first day.

I haven't hunted bear anywhere else so I don't have much to compare it to, but it is a really fun hunt. He does a slide show with all the different stands and bears hitting them on the first night, and then a fantasy football style draft of the stands with all of the hunters, so you get to pick out which bait that you want to hunt in about as fair of a way as possible. There are enough stands that everyone gets put on baits that are getting hit.

He has quota areas(usually 1pt to draw there) and non-quota areas. I got my chocolate in a non-quota zone. In his camp, it is usually an afternoon-evening hunt, then dinner when you get back. He usually has the hunters stay in a bunk house, with access to a shower and bathroom in the main cabin, which is right next to it. There are a bunch of lakes nearby, and you can go fish if you want in the mornings. That said, I took my boat twice and never fished.

It's been a lot of fun every time that I have gone and would highly recommend that you reach out to him for more info. The hunt usually starts on Labor Day but I think the draw date is coming up. Good luck!

25-Feb-18
Thank you all, I atleast have a place to start my search. Was fun to read that link, thanks ibow. Haven't found much shed hunting this year, so might as well plan a hunt.

25-Feb-18
Yes... that thread was a lot of fun to follow. Best wishes for your success in finding a spot and hunting it. I think the most fun is the prep. I’ll be passing thru MN on my way north this spring!

25-Feb-18

No Mercy's embedded Photo
No Mercy's embedded Photo
Thanks guys. It certainly was an adventure.

25-Feb-18
The biggest challenge is getting a tag. What used to take a year or two, now takes four or five. Our DNR is continuing to reduce tag numbers yet they don't have a clue as to the real bear numbers we have. We have a lot.... I have good contact up around Ely is you want. I have sent other BS people their way with good success. PM me if interested. TODDY

• Sitka Gear