Cheesehead Mike 01-Mar-18
YZF-88 01-Mar-18
TREESTANDWOLF 01-Mar-18
Surfbow 01-Mar-18
Matte 01-Mar-18
IdyllwildArcher 01-Mar-18
SoDakSooner 02-Mar-18
01-Mar-18
I apologize ahead of time for the possible ignorance on the subject but I would like to start getting my preference points built up for a Colorado Elk hunt. I will be doing a DIY and OTC in Idaho and Colorado until I draw of course but, I would like to get a crack at some of the other units. That said, how do you go about selecting a unit? And is there a page for how many points is the minimum? On top of that how do ya choose! Any info could help I suppose!

01-Mar-18
So update. I found the draw odds from this last year page. It would take me awhile to read through, but I think I can manage. Any other info would be nice though.

01-Mar-18
Look at % of public land.

01-Mar-18
Look at % of public land.

01-Mar-18
The biggest choice to make is wether to draw a 1-2point unit for possibly less crowds or hold out for 10+ years for a mid level unit. The best hunts are probably out of your reach with the current Preference Point system

01-Mar-18
Mid level units may be out of reach too. Point creep is going to accelerate, especially for NRs, now that you don’t have to pay the $$$ up front.

01-Mar-18
Agree with kadbow, I have 12 points and I don't think the quality of hunt that I can draw is even worth spending those points and driving to Colorado. You would be much better served getting points in WY and AZ if you are going to start the point game. JMO

01-Mar-18
When I first read about the "no upfront costs" I was thinking I would hold out (I am in no mans land), but with the $40 per species fee add-on. I am going to cash out in the next couple years and the only fees I'll be paying is for Deserts (unless I draw somewhere else first) and Deer. Elk and Antelope aren't worth the $40 when you can draw an equivalent unit with 0-1 points. You will spend 10-20 years (at $40/year) to get anything more than a chance at a 300" bull. You are way better off buying a landowner tag if you are looking at a high 200's or 300" bull. Colorado's point game just got worse, in my opinion (which I didn't think was possible).

01-Mar-18
Unfortunately, CPW is only focused on generating more money, increasing the numbers of applicants and licenses sold with no goals nor inclination to improve quality. It is going to get worse with time. The point races in many states are going to drive more pressure for less quality overall.

01-Mar-18
Xbow doctor, check out toprut.com. I really like the format of their website.

01-Mar-18
I'll second Toprut.com Great website.

01-Mar-18
So I should just do OTC in Idaho and Colorado and focus my efforts on WY and AZ? That's what I've gathered so far. I feel like the 1-2 point units probably aren't worth my time. I mean, as opposed to OTC. Am I smelling what you guys are steppin' in?

01-Mar-18

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Yeah, 1-2 point units in CO aren't worth your time. Go to WY and AZ...

01-Mar-18
C'mon Mike! Your making the point creep worse!

01-Mar-18
lol mike!

01-Mar-18
Heck of a bull Mike, but yeah, Colorado is overrated, best to hunt elsewhere... :)

01-Mar-18
I have the opinion if the guys that feel they have to have major points to draw an area that maybe just might let them kill a great Elk are the same guys who buy all the latest and greatest gadgets hoping to kill the next giant. I have seen alot of Giants come out of OTC areas in the last 20+ years of Elk hunting.

01-Mar-18
If you really want to hunt elk every year, it only makes sense to build points everywhere they allow you to.

02-Mar-18
+1 Weve seen some decent bulls in otc and low point units...still working on shooting one of them...lol. but I agree, everyone needs to get out of the colorado points game ; )

• Sitka Gear