dmann 03-Mar-18
Dino 04-Mar-18
carcus 04-Mar-18
molsonarcher 04-Mar-18
bowpackerRob 05-Mar-18
Bowbender8 06-Mar-18
yooper89 06-Mar-18
03-Mar-18
I use an index finger release. However it is looks like a four finger tension release with a wrist attachment. It is a really nice release, and I have used it for a dozen years. I am actually surprised more index releases are note designed this way. I can even use it as a back tension release. I cannot remember who made it.

I have been considering trying a thumb release, preferably one that can be clipped to the D-loop. I was wondering if many of you are using thumb releases to hunt, and which ones. Tru Ball makes some affordable ones. I was thinking of either the Fang 4 or the Max Pro 4. I can't figure out which one I should try. Thanks Pete

03-Mar-18
Spot Hogg whippersnapper. I shoot the 4 finger model and love it. It has a very easily adjusted tension setting, and mine is set very low. You can take it lower than I have mine set, but it already surprises me going off so no need to go lower.

03-Mar-18
No issue when hunting? You can easily control when the arrow fires, even when using back tension to release the trigger?

03-Mar-18
I do all my hunting with a thumb release. However, I do ALL my practicing with a back tension Carter release. One thing I found, at least for me is, it’s not if, but when, you will start punching an index finger release. Like I said, it just might be me though.

03-Mar-18
X2 on the whippersnapper, won't ever go back to a finger release.

03-Mar-18
I'm a dedicated thumb release guy. I use a trufire revolution hardcore. No complaints. I am a tree stand hunter only so for spot and stalk may not be so easy

03-Mar-18
I've been using a Carter Ember for years. It has an open hook. Lots of good choices just make sure there's no trigger travel.

03-Mar-18
Check out the Nock To It release made by Carter for John Dudley. Search on YouTube for John Dudley. He has some really good videos on the thumb release. I bought one last year. I am sold on them.

03-Mar-18
I've used the tru ball pro diamond for years, and really like it. Just got a fang 4 last year, and have had a hard time getting used to the trigger.

04-Mar-18
Another nod for the Nock2it!!!

04-Mar-18
I practice with a back tension and hunt with a index finger release, bought a few thumb releases but didn't like them

04-Mar-18
Peterk1234, no issues when hunting. I show the 2,3 and 4 finger before I bought mine. I just squeeze like I’m making a fist as I reach my wall, and it goes off as a surprise. If you are a release “puncher”, you can also punch these, but I find I do way less punching with this style. I also found that my draw feels more smooth using this style. I do a lot of tree stand hunting, and have never had the release fall off once clipped to the string. It’s nice to just grab the bow for a shot and not think about clipping on a release. Spot and stalk, the one chance I had to do this, was on an antelope. I had to belly crawl about 60 yds, had the release clipped on and it didn’t come off. FWIW

05-Mar-18
X3 on the whippersnapper. Multiple elk trips and out of state hunts and it is still going strong.

06-Mar-18
I do the same as Molsonarcher. I've got a pair of matched TruBall 4 finger hook style I've used for more than 12 years. I'm thinking to get a 4 finger Fang.

06-Mar-18
I'm going to take a look at the whippersnapper after reading some positive reviews. Never used a tension release before. If anybody's looking to part ways with one, let me know!

• Sitka Gear