RogBow 07-Mar-18
WV Mountaineer 07-Mar-18
jims 07-Mar-18
Michael Schwister 08-Mar-18
njbuck 08-Mar-18
06-Mar-18

PoudreCanyon's embedded Photo
PoudreCanyon's embedded Photo
Hello all - As i’m Sure most of you are aware, CPW has revised the fee requirements for it’s big game application process. Whereas, in the past, all applicants had to pay full license fees plus a $3 application fee up front for all species they applied for, with refunds issued after the draw for unsuccessful applicants, this year the license fee will only be charged after the draw to successful applicants. Just wondering about everyone’s opinion on the change. It seems to me that coveted tags, particularly those on the weighted point system like sheep, moose, and goat, will become exponentially more difficult to draw after the unevitable torrent of new applicants get to the minimum 3 points needed to go into the draw. As I understand it, there is very little statistical advantage to your weighted points after acquiring only a few. Most of us on Bowsite dream of one day being able to hunt sheep, goat, or moose, and for those of us with modest incomes, these lottery tags are the only plausible hope to realizing that dream. It seems that, with the new system, those dreams in CO ate about to become far less realistic. Your thoughts are welcome! Poudre Canyon

06-Mar-18
Makes sense.

Posting it on Bowsite probably won't help (several million views per Year)

I'm sure the word will get out, regardless.

06-Mar-18
My thoughts are, "Yep".

06-Mar-18
It's going to be ugly. Bull Moose apps have already been on a strong upward climb, with eligible (3PP) NR applicants increasing from 363 ten years ago, to 869 last year. Average NR draw odds for Bull Moose are currently less than 2%. I believe the Moose draw will be the hardest hit by the new on-line apps. You can get a sense of this by looking at app numbers in other nearby states with a long-running on-line app policy. For example there are far more NR Moose apps in Wyoming and Montana, where both NR & Res have been able to apply on line with a CC for many years. In Montana they get 3000+ NR apps for Moose. In Wyoming 11000+ NR's apply for Moose or buy points. Wouldn't be surprised to see NR apps triple in Colorado over the next 2 years. Sheep and Goat apps will go up dramatically too, maybe not quite as bad as Moose, but still a huge increase. Bottom line is that the good 'ol days of having a decent chance of drawing one or more of the Big-3 in a lifetime, are very soon coming to an end for NR's in Colorado.

Resident app pools will be affected too, since the license fee is no longer required up-front.

This change will probably lead to guys with higher points starting to lobby CPW again for point squaring or other schemes. And those efforts might get some traction now.

06-Mar-18
It's common sense. Yes it will increase demand

06-Mar-18
I am at max points for moose in CO. Was putting in before they even started giving points.

The way the system is currently set up, my odds of getting a tag decrease every year as more people get to the "magic" 3+0 mark.

The way it keeps climbing for the 3+ tags (sheep, goat and moose) combined with not having to front the cost of the tag now and increased applicants, the odds will get worse.

CPW wants more applicants. More applicants = more money. It will be tough to ever make any changes to the system to give any more weight to applicants that have been in the game for longer because that may cause someone to not apply.

Squaring points may be an option.

As these tags have become more Once in a Lifetime, it seems strange that some of the season structures are still so messed up for bowhunters.

06-Mar-18
They dropped the price in Montana also and it increases the applicants by 30 percent and up To 50 In some units. Sorry guys hope you draw this year or next. Hunt

06-Mar-18
Treeline, I'm in the same boat as you. Been applying for moose since before points. At max weighted points now. Odds will continue to get worse. Hopefully this is the year for both of us!

06-Mar-18
Sad day in my opinion. Gonna make it even harder to draw. Feel like it will make it about impossible for goat, sheep, and moose

06-Mar-18
Getting pretty frustrating on sheep and goat, too at 3+ Double Digits for both of them as well...

Maybe get lucky and pull all 3 this year! WHOO-HOO! Not.

06-Mar-18
Yeah, I’m 3/9 for sheep and goat and 3/12 for moose. I used to feel like that meant something...

06-Mar-18
When Arizona made the change from requiring payment up front, to just charging after you are drawn, the applicants went up exponentially very quickly! I'm sure it will happen in Colorado the same way.

06-Mar-18
I wish I had a dollar for every thread I’ve seen on this topic. I’d bypass the draw and buy an Alberta sheep tag! Good luck in the draw.

06-Mar-18
People complained about having to pay the full fee up front too. This will definitely make it tougher to draw.

06-Mar-18
$28 to apply for everything in Colorado.... Residents and NonRes

Good luck to everyone

06-Mar-18
Got me a Habitat Stamp for sure:)

06-Mar-18
I’m surprised Colorado doesn’t require a hunting license like most states. Buy a license to apply.

06-Mar-18
They do 'sort of' when they require a previous year license

07-Mar-18
Yep, agree with sticksender's assessment. I used to actually love writing the big check to the DOW because I knew that most guys wouldn't do it.

07-Mar-18
Ucsdryder- they basically are requiring you to buy a license if you apply for more than one species. You have to pay $40 per species for elk, deer, bear, and antelope--OR--buy a license for $56. That's for NR--it's a little less for Res.

07-Mar-18
I predict I will now enter all the draws

07-Mar-18
ill be applying for everything this year been building points for cow moose for awhile now but for the app fee thats a cheap raffle ticket for goat and sheep...

07-Mar-18
I predict the 3 dollar app fee will go higher soon, they have us by the balls.

07-Mar-18
It's definitely going to increase applications. For a lot of people, coming off of Hunting season, Christmas, then tax time, shelling out cash flow for others to hold was a hard proposition. Especially when cash flow is limited already. So, it is definitely going to increase applicant participation. God Bless

07-Mar-18
What's wild is Wyo is TOTALLY opposite! With the increase in pref pt charges many Wyo nonres are giving up applying for extremely poor draw odd sheep, goat, and moose tags. Who has $200 to $400/year to through to the Wyo wind!!!! Guess where many of those Wyo nonres will switch over and apply....Colo? Colo is the most nonres friendly state in the West. Although I hate to see it happen, I have a sneaking suspicion it is only a matter of time before Colo charges similar to other states to apply. You may want to keep that in mind!

08-Mar-18
I like it. May start putting in for moose there myself, given the last two elk hunts were disrupted by large rutting bull moose chasing off the bull elk in our areas (two different OTC areas)..............

08-Mar-18
Am in understanding the new fee's correctly, we don't have to front the tag anymore and we are charged $40 per species for a point for elk, deer and antelope but there is no fee for a point for sheep, goat or moose? That doesn't sound right.

• Sitka Gear