TSI 08-Mar-18
Bowriter 11-Mar-18
shortstop 12-Mar-18
Nick Muche 12-Mar-18
Beendare 12-Mar-18
shortstop 12-Mar-18
Ibow 12-Mar-18
06-Mar-18
In the stand a couple years ago. Hear single "tic" sound way out and circling so pretty sure it was a bear. Gradually got closer and then nice bear appeared. Was it him or bigfoot?

06-Mar-18
I have heard all sorts of bear vocalization over the years. When I hear a glunking kind of noise it is most often associated with a very nice boar. My opinion

06-Mar-18
They'll certainly snap their jaws loudly, as a warning. Possibly telling other bears to "bug out" if you were over bait.

06-Mar-18
The sound Ned is referring to is what I hear the most. Like a soft moose grunt. And it’s usual a boar. Hunt

06-Mar-18
Often that “ticking” sound if it’s what I’m thinking of is them clicking their teeth.

It almost sounds like gently knocking two rocks together. Possibly that?

06-Mar-18
“Clucking” or maybe you would call it “ticking” when they are tending a sow in heat? I’ve heard it a few times. I bet some of the bear guides can expound on it.

06-Mar-18
Bears are very vocal keep ears open you will hear them

06-Mar-18
I was a guide for years and yes i think it a boar tending a sow

06-Mar-18
Trackman taught me everything I know about bears! He has been in more bear dens than anyone alive!

06-Mar-18
When you hear a single branch break a lot of times it's a boar warning other bears that he's in the area in coming to feed.

07-Mar-18
"When you hear a single branch break a lot of times it's a boar warning other bears that he's in the area in coming to feed. "

That's my favorite sound when in the bear woods, either a boar coming in or a brown/grizzly on it's way. Either case, grab your bow and get ready!

08-Mar-18
Thanks all. I've heard the teeth and jaw snapping before. This was different and the only time I've ever heard it. "Glunking" sound is a better way to describe it maybe...thanks Ned. This bear did this for probably a half hour at least while moving around way out there. Probably every 5 minutes. Then did it right before he stepped out at the bait. Nice cinnamon boar........that I shot over the back of! Still getting that bear fever I guess!

08-Mar-18
Until bears speak English we are always speculating as to the meaning of their sounds.Only certainties are if you hear them they are close.a lot of vocals are sows either nervous of boars or communicating with cubs or yearlings.Branch breaking usually is a mature bear but I’ve seen female bears do it as well.the deep guttural sounds I agree are usually big dominant males but the teeth chatter I’ve equally seen males and females also doing it.amazing animals regardless.I like the ones that can’t chatter their teeth because they don’t have any.

11-Mar-18
Have a friend that is a real "expert" on black bear. Been his life study and he is currently the "bear guy" for the Feds in the National forest based in Santa Fe. I wish I could find the article he wrote about bear "sounds". They are extremely vocal but use a variety of sounds from breaking limbs to clapping their paws to convey various messages. He compared them to ravens in vocality. I will never forget his opening sentence. "I believe a bear could pronounce my last name." It is Rataczjck...or something like that.

12-Mar-18
Found it: https://www.bear.org/website/bear-pages/black-bear/communication/29-vocalizations-a-body-language.html

12-Mar-18
Which one is the "tic"?

12-Mar-18
Good stuff Shortstop!

12-Mar-18
Didn't hear the "tic"...... of course......would of been too easy. Just responding to Bowriters quest. I'm goin with Bigfoot! Makes better bear camp story.

12-Mar-18
Interesting site Shortstop. Can’t wait to hear a few of those sounds this spring again!

• Sitka Gear