Treeline 10-Mar-18
Michael Schwister 13-Mar-18
StickFlicker 13-Mar-18
uteangler 13-Mar-18
Michael Schwister 14-Mar-18
Cheesehead Mike 14-Mar-18
Cheesehead Mike 15-Mar-18
07-Mar-18
Over the last few years I have updated all my clothing except my jacket. Still have the same hooded fleece I have been using for 20 years. Any recommendations for jackets for those cool September mornings? Looking for quite and lightweight that can be packed away when it warms up. I will have kuiu chugach rain jacket in pack for rain and extra warmth.

Thanks

07-Mar-18
Kuiu peloton 240... That thing is awesome. Maybe my favorite piece. That being said, I did pick up the chinook jacket this fall and really like it so o far. Haven't tried it for elk hunting yet though.

07-Mar-18
The Sitka Jetstream is an awesome jacket. I’d also look at the Kelvin jackets. I use the Kelvin vest under the JS and it pretty much covers everything in September

07-Mar-18
Sitka Jetstream, Cold Weather Hoody, Kelvin Active all should be considered depending on your temps and specific needs.

07-Mar-18
I'm light and cheap...all I use is a down vest, and a light, packable Space Rain jacket. I layer according to weather and temps, pack them when I'm on the move, and layer up when I'm sitting.

I'm good down into the mid 20s.

07-Mar-18
I have a Kryptek Aquillo hooded down puffy that I bought off of Camofire that I really like.

07-Mar-18
Most mornings I wear a hoodie I bought at Walmart. If it's cooler, I add a fleece vest. I hope the elk aren't making fun of my lack of fashion sense when I'm not looking.

07-Mar-18
"Designer camo yoga gear"

07-Mar-18
jetstream

07-Mar-18
I am a big fan of my jetstream as well. Average morning I will wear a transverse 1/4 zip with it and be good. The really cold mornings I will add a transverse hoodie. If I am glassing which doesn’t happen very often in the morning I will wear a puffy. The Kuiu super down is very light and packs down very well as well.

07-Mar-18
With out knowing your exact needs and hunt type, Smarba hit the nail on the head.

The Active is my go to, with a Jetstream vest.

07-Mar-18
I don’t know why anybody would use anything other than a hooded down puffy that’s packable. If it’s raining toss a rain coat over it (also packable).

07-Mar-18
Last year I brought a Predator wind blocking fleece vest to spike camp and left the softshell at the truck. It served me very well. I would wear 1-3 merino tops depending on temp with the vest on top. Granted, it was warmer last year than the year before but I'm planning that route again this year.

07-Mar-18
Depending on the use - the KUIU superdown is great for the early morning glassing. Once the sun is up, I'm down to a couple light merino layers. If it's real windy, I'll toss my space rain jacket over the puffy and I'm all set.

07-Mar-18
Thanks for replies so far. I have kuiu super down and would not consider it good for archery elk hunting.... if I am sitting and glassing then yes. If drawing my bow on an elk ....not quite enough for me.

07-Mar-18
I would think all down/puffy jackets would have an issue with quiteness. I absolutely love my super down coat but am thinking it would not be ideal for archery elk

07-Mar-18
I love this jacket: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/redhead-1856-bonded-windproof-jacket-for-men?searchTerm=RedHead 1856 Bonded Windproof Jacket for Men ,

Fleece, very quiet, warm and windproof (not rainproof). I also have a light down jacket I can layer with and a packable rain jacket

It is all about layering in September

07-Mar-18

cnelk's Link
I have a Badlands 'Inferno' jacket that works well for those cool Sept mornings. After it warms up, in the pack it goes

See link

07-Mar-18
Sitka 90% is with me every day.

07-Mar-18
Agree with you on the 90% Wapiti, but it was dropped from the line and is no longer made.

Regarding quiet and puffy: Kelvin Active fits that niche perfectly.

07-Mar-18
Same as above. Glad I got my 90% before it was discontinued. If I ever need to replace it, I’ll most likely go with the KUIU Chinook.

That said, I normally only wear a jacket when it’s pretty darn chilly and I’m in my treestand in the evenings. When I’m hunting on the ground, I do like elkmtngear and a few others and just layer with merino wool.

07-Mar-18
Lots of great options out there. For bowhunting, I really like wool - quiet and warm. 2nd tier are the light shell jackets like the Sitka 90% or Kuiu shells. Should be a good time to start looking at clearance for a lot of good stuff and getting them on super sales! That one that cnelk showed looks really good and compressible to go in the pack. Good luck!

07-Mar-18
My Jetstream is hands down my #1 piece of all around clothing.

07-Mar-18
I have used a Core4 Element jacket and pants, or a Midland Prairie Creek jacket (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939205447/midwayusa-mens-prairie-creek-softshell-jacket), or years ago a Cabelas Microtex ls shirt and fleece vest all have worked fine.

07-Mar-18
I'm "betting" they dropped the 90% because Sitka is now owned by Gore and the Jetstream incorporates a Gore windstopper layer. I'm not a real fan of hoods and never felt that the 90% let too much wind through, plus it was quieter than the Jetstream.

I had my original 90% and a spare. The original disappeared somewhere this past season, absolutely no idea where. The spare is no longer a spare...

07-Mar-18
You guys are right. The Sitka Jetstream is by far my favorite jacket. Wish I could wear it everyday. Highly recommended

Scott

07-Mar-18
Wool vest Keeps your core warm while waiting for daylight to move mornings.

Not as bulky as a full jacket. Keeps me just as warm.

07-Mar-18
I would contact KUIU and get their recommendations as to need, temperature range, moisture protection, etc.

I have found some good deals on KUIU Outlet and on AT classified.

07-Mar-18
I don't know all and, I have only done it a few times but, when I have hunted September out west for elk, a $15 polyester fleece jacket worked pretty well for what you describe. This year I will use a $20 walmart puffy. It's more compressible and lighter. That's next level shopping right there. :^)

08-Mar-18
I just layer up with all my Merino and if I need more I put on my rain jacket, I want to add a Merino vest this coming year! I did already add a FL Sawtooth though, that will be with me if the right weather threatens

08-Mar-18
Sounds like a puffy situation if you don't need it while moving. I shot a whitetail below freezing temps with my Kuiu Superdown layered under a fleece, and I shot a different whitetail with the superdown under the Guide jacket. I'm not saying it's dead quiet but if it's quiet enough to kill a whitetail you can surely kill an elk if you get surprised while glassing. Superdown is prob the noisiest puffy out there so you can get a quieter puffy.

If anyone wants a Sitka 90% jacket I have one essentially unused I would like to sell. It is a Medium in Open Country. Shoot me a PM

08-Mar-18
Love my jetstream. I wish I had gotten it in the mud color because I like wearing it for everyday use too.

08-Mar-18
Ohio,

Yes, the Kryptek puffy is a little swishy and a little noisy but the shell is fairly soft for a puffy so it's not terrible. Aron Snyder did a review of the Kryptek puffy on Rokslide a while back and I tried to post a link to it but I got an error so here it is: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Kryptek+Aquillo+review+Rokslide&src=IE-SearchBox&ru=%2fsearch%3fq%3dKryptek%2bAquillo%2breview%2bRokslide%26src%3dIE-SearchBox%26FORM%3dIENTSR&view=detail&mmscn=vwrc&mid=9693138553EC44E93C279693138553EC44E93C27&FORM=WRVORC

I used my Sitka 90% for years with no complaints but a couple years ago after reading several threads regarding a puffy vs. a softshell I was hesitant but decided to give the puffy a try.

Most mornings I would leave camp wearing my Sitka 90% but I'm pretty warm blooded and within the first hour or so I would usually get too warm and I'd take it off and it would spend the rest of the day in my pack. If I decided to sit and glass and it was cold and windy out, the 90% really isn't that warm. The puffy is a lot warmer, has a hood and is lighter and more compressible than the Sitka 90%. I'd rather pack the puffy around in my pack all day than the 90% and if it's cold, the puffy is a lot warmer. Also the puffy is a lot warmer sitting around camp at night, especially with the hood up. And if it's really cold you can sleep with the puffy on adding a layer of down insulation which is much more effective than sleeping in the Sitka 90% jacket.

I like my Sitka 90% and I'll never part with it and yes the puffy is noisier than the Sitka 90% but for a backpack hunt where warmth, weight, space and versatility are at a premium I'll accept the tradeoff and the puffy now gets the nod over the 90% every time.

08-Mar-18
I have a down puffy from REI and thinking about getting the Sitka flash pullover for a wind and waterproof shell. Should just about cover almost everything for sept.

08-Mar-18
Kuiu Peloton 240, Kuiu Chinook, Kuiu Teton soft shell, or if it's really windy or cooler the Kuiu Guide jacket. I generally use the Kuiu guide vest over the peloton 200 hoody as my go to in September then I pack the vest once it warms up.

09-Mar-18
You're welcome ohio. It's all just my opinion for what it's worth...

09-Mar-18
Another vote for Jetstream jacket absolutely love it!

10-Mar-18
Sitka 90% is all I ever use as an outer. With all your other layers you will be more than warm enough.

10-Mar-18
September? Shoot I just wear a sweatshirt with a camo tshirt over it. Whats this jacket stuff?

10-Mar-18

wyobullshooter's embedded Photo
20 Sep 2017
wyobullshooter's embedded Photo
20 Sep 2017
"September? Shoot I just wear a sweatshirt with a camo tshirt over it. Whats this jacket stuff?"

Some of us just ain't quite as tough as others. lol!

10-Mar-18
I have hunted in snow up to my waist up at treeline in September in Colorado. It can get chilly.

Hunting in low country can be quite a bit warmer.

13-Mar-18
Asbel wool pullover in evening stand brown. a layer merino wool base, cotton T shirt, old BDU pants. OD green vietnam era jungle boots with two tracks wool felt inserts and type III nylon chord (550) chord lases for emergency use. Army surplus poncho in day pack for rain/best ultralight hooch on earth. Add silk base layers and a wind blocker layer if needed (never where I have hunted). KOM/grey wolf, or woolrich wool in camp/at the truck for blizzard conditions. Ultra quiet, very comfy, no shine, no big hole in my orange money pile.

13-Mar-18

StickFlicker's Link
For those that have mentioned the fact that the Sitka 90% is discontinued, it appears you can still buy it some places like Amazon.

13-Mar-18
I'm always cold. I wear merino shirt or shirts, then my kuiu guide jacket over them. The pit zips regulate temperature good enough for me. If it's really cold, I put my super down jacket underneath, or add a heavier shirt. I love my guide jacket.

14-Mar-18
Not sure about the ultra high dollar ultra light gear needed for those who choose motorized transport and motorized shelter. Wool is better in every regard save being in line with the latest fashion trends for yoga clothing while hunting. Does it make your butt look good? I know back during my army days of laying on cold hard ground (when not running around carrying heavy loads of ammo and comms gear, and being out in the elements for extended periods and all weather wearing the latest in high tech gear, I LONGED to have my hunting wool instead. O to be comfortable.

14-Mar-18
Ohio, I thought the same thing at first too, but if you click on the tab on the right for the Open Country pattern there are more sizes available.

15-Mar-18
I have a wooltimate vest but rarely wear it. It's too heavy to pack in elk hunting...

• Sitka Gear