Shawn 14-Mar-18
HDE 14-Mar-18
Bowfreak 14-Mar-18
Shawn 14-Mar-18
CCRider 14-Mar-18
carcus 15-Mar-18
Bowfreak 15-Mar-18
11-Mar-18
I'm wondering if this is the nature of the beast? Rest performs flawlessly but when cocking it is not near as smooth as a QAD. Is this normal or do I have a bad one?

12-Mar-18
Anyone have any experience with this rest?

12-Mar-18
No experience with QAD so I don’t know what it’s like to load one. I’ve always used Ripcord with no troubles. Give them a call. C

12-Mar-18
My buddy has an Ace and it starting giving problems with falling. Cleaned it right out and it was better. Soon it just got progressively worse. You could feel that it was "raw" or rough if you slowly cocked it. Took it apart again and there was a groove worn into the housing by the detente ball. He has sent it to Rip Cord and they said they would fix or replace it. We both had the Code Reds for thousands of shots with no problem, but they don't have the detente. I believe the Ace is discontinued, so maybe it was a material or design problem??

12-Mar-18
I agree. The Ripcord stuff is just clunky, and they seem to have quality control issues. We have more trouble with them 10 to 1 over the QAD and Trophy Taker...

12-Mar-18
I have, that is why I have a QAD now.

12-Mar-18
I'm swapping it for an HDX. Not happy with how far it sits back from the riser and the smoothness of the mechanism.

12-Mar-18
The Code Red is great except it doesn't stay cocked. The Ace stays cocked but seems to have problems. The Quad is slower to drop and not great for very fast bows. The Ace has a far better launcher and will fit on the Code Red. I'm going to retro the Ace launcher onto the Quad since it's trouble free and quick enough for my anemic Heli'm :)

12-Mar-18
Get a hamskea

13-Mar-18
I had issues with 2 QADs and they were very loud. Have 2 Ripcord Code Red's with zero issues and they are quieter. Now using 2 NAP Apache Carbons. They don't stay up but if I can't let down as smooth as I draw, I'm not shooting enough or I'm over bowed. No mechanism to fail either and very quiet.

13-Mar-18
Used the Hamskea rest for a year or two. Heavy, problems in freezing rain/snow. Sold them and went back to QAD.

When tying in the QAD drop-down cord, make sure to attach 4 1/2 - 5" below rest. Anything less, with today's speed bows, there's a good chance of arrow/rest contact. (per QAD tech spt).

Pat...that may have been your problem you experienced.

13-Mar-18
What's that famous bowsite quote about taking the hinges out of your hunt? I think it originally applied to guys that were anti-mech heads but...

13-Mar-18
I have and will continue to mess up far more times than any moving part on my bow has or will.

13-Mar-18
Sounds like they are all prone to fail. My WB has never let me down, set it and forget it. I'll keep the WB.

13-Mar-18
The bow shoots so good I am leaving it on there. I like the rest, don't like that it isn't as smooth but if that is the nature of the beast and it continues to work well, so be it. I also don't like the fact that it sets so far back. I had to switch vanes regardless so setting so far back is a moot point, since my new vanes easily clear.

13-Mar-18
I've had the ACE on my Nitrum Turbo since I bought the bow and haven't had any mechanical issues. But yes....... when cocking the rest, its not as smooth as others like a QAD. Does it really matter? Whats important is that it gets out of the way and doesn't bounce back before the fletching gets there.

Like anything else, I've heard about the QAD failures too. I would use one, but I much prefer just using my left thumb to cock the rest verses reaching around the riser and cocking a QAD with my right hand.

14-Mar-18
My new Ripcord Micro is not very smooth on the cocking cycle, but it shoots so great I can live with that.

14-Mar-18
Russel:"Used the Hamskea rest for a year or two. Heavy, problems in freezing rain/snow. Sold them and went back to QAD. When tying in the QAD drop-down cord, make sure to attach 4 1/2 - 5" below rest. Anything less, with today's speed bows, there's a good chance of arrow/rest contact. (per QAD tech spt)."

This is correct^^^

14-Mar-18
I know I will get beat up fir this but put a biscuit on it and no worries! Shawn

14-Mar-18
Not at all Shawn, I have a WB in camp as a backup.

14-Mar-18
No thanks on the WB.

14-Mar-18
I only mention it because of the thread itself. This shows there are plenty of problems with drop-away rests. I can take my whole biscuit rest off the bow open a brand new one and put it on and eye it up and be shooting bullet holes in less then 5 minutes. try that with a drop away. I shot them and as a hunter who shoots mostly only out to 50 yards there is nothing more idiot proof then a biscuit and I am plenty accurate with my set up as well. Shawn

14-Mar-18
Ripcord is solid as a rock, I have it on four bows now. Not one problem. My Sig 226 cocks rough too but it shoot smooth. What' s the problem? I had nothing but problems with QAD and also experienced the freezing issues with the Hamskea. Will never use anything other than Ripcord dropaways.

15-Mar-18
Many good mechanical rests, all prone to fail, only one that failed me was a trophy taker smack down, it didn't really fail, a screw came loose, operator error, this was the first time in my life that I forgot to check all the screws on my bow before a hunting season and it cost me a B&C class bear at 10 yards,all caught on video!!! QAD makes the best mechanical rests and the best fixed blade BH's IMO!

15-Mar-18
How does the fact that one rest doesn't move as smooth as the other mean that it fails? Also....why would a guy need to remove a WB rest and then slap another one on and be shooting in minutes? I thought WB rests never fail?

The whole fall away rest will fail scenario is way overblown. Everything on my bow is a mechanical device and could fail.

• Sitka Gear