Whitetail Deer
Contributors to this thread:
LKH 13-Mar-18
GAFFER1 13-Mar-18
Brotsky 13-Mar-18
Scrappy 13-Mar-18
LKH 13-Mar-18
13-Mar-18
Nearest neighbor is 1.5 miles and it's open around here. Get to watch the deer a lot. Yesterday I watched one of the "stand and punch" deer fights. Get to see the does do it for a few seconds, but this one went on for over 5 minutes . They would be on their hind legs for 20-30 seconds at a time. Between sessions they would do the puff up and strut before starting to punch again. A couple times one or the other would be laying across the back of the other, still trying to hit it.

With the spotting scope I could see they were 2 shed out bucks. Big boys. I've seen a lot of this type interaction between does for short periods but never the big mature bucks at this time of the year.

13-Mar-18
Quite a show, never seen anything like it myself, thanks for sharing

13-Mar-18
Deer sure are fun to watch. I've seen elk cows do the old boxing match before too. They really get to flailing at each other!

13-Mar-18
Doorknob x2. Always a woman's fault.

13-Mar-18
Could be. We have a growing herd and there were about 20 close by so I couldn't tell. Have some small fawns and there is quite a bit of shooting pressure so maybe something is cycling. Will watch tonight.

• Sitka Gear