Sitka Gear
Whitetail strategy (Still/Stand hunting)
Whitetail Deer
Contributors to this thread:
stjohnh4 18-Mar-18
Bowriter 18-Mar-18
Pigsticker 18-Mar-18
Woods Walker 18-Mar-18
18-Mar-18
I developed a whitetail hunting strategy for early, mid & late season excursions. I am in southern NY and the season opens on October 1st and ends on December 31st. The weather changes drastically in that time so I start by still hunting/scouting in October. Its usually warm so I use my re-curve bow as its simple and lite so I can cover a lot of ground while looking for late season stands. Mid/late season (Nov/Dec) I hit the stands I selected with the compound bow. However, if its snowing or raining I revert back to re-curve as its also weather proof. It has proved to be successful for me. Thoughts?

18-Mar-18
The best strategy or technique for you, (anyone), is the one that works the best. I do 90% of mys scouting in Feb,/March. I do 5% in August-emerging food sources-and 5% during the season as I walk in and out or blood trail. I hang stands in August I do not plan to hunt until Nov. When I was guiding and outfitting, I spent over 100-days a year in the woods. Now, that is no longer needed.

18-Mar-18
If hunting strictly for enjoyment and venison whatever works for you. Sometimes method is more important than size. I envy the longbow guys that hunt often with a very limited shot distance. Many of them enjoy great success but I think get immense satisfaction from the chosen technique. I think ultimately meat hunters and method hunters gain greater satisfaction than the guys that always are thinking in terms of size and score. Just my 2 cents.

18-Mar-18
I get your strategy and it's a sound one. The only exception I would take is that if you're, "cover(ing) a lot of ground while looking for late season stands", then you're not really stillhunting. That's the exact opposite of stillhunting, or at least the way I do it.

• Sitka Gear