Sitka Mountain Gear
Whitetail strategy (Still/Stand hunting)
Whitetail Deer
Contributors to this thread:
stjohnh4 18-Mar-18
Bowriter 18-Mar-18
Pigsticker 18-Mar-18
ground hunter 18-Mar-18
Woods Walker 18-Mar-18
18-Mar-18
I developed a whitetail hunting strategy for early, mid & late season excursions. I am in southern NY and the season opens on October 1st and ends on December 31st. The weather changes drastically in that time so I start by still hunting/scouting in October. Its usually warm so I use my re-curve bow as its simple and lite so I can cover a lot of ground while looking for late season stands. Mid/late season (Nov/Dec) I hit the stands I selected with the compound bow. However, if its snowing or raining I revert back to re-curve as its also weather proof. It has proved to be successful for me. Thoughts?

18-Mar-18
The best strategy or technique for you, (anyone), is the one that works the best. I do 90% of mys scouting in Feb,/March. I do 5% in August-emerging food sources-and 5% during the season as I walk in and out or blood trail. I hang stands in August I do not plan to hunt until Nov. When I was guiding and outfitting, I spent over 100-days a year in the woods. Now, that is no longer needed.

18-Mar-18
If hunting strictly for enjoyment and venison whatever works for you. Sometimes method is more important than size. I envy the longbow guys that hunt often with a very limited shot distance. Many of them enjoy great success but I think get immense satisfaction from the chosen technique. I think ultimately meat hunters and method hunters gain greater satisfaction than the guys that always are thinking in terms of size and score. Just my 2 cents.

18-Mar-18
This is a great post, its real..... I hunt 2 different areas. SW Wisconsin bluff country and remote western UP, wolf country, but big body deer,,,, Spring scouting in Wis, and same in the UP, but with wolves, in season scouting is even more important......

Most of my hunting is with a long bow, it is effective, and simple, and I love shooting it, and to be in the woods with it, while scouting is the way to go..... However as much as I shoot, I limit my shots to 15 yards and under, and rarely not get a pass thru....

I also have a Hoyt carbon spyder, and the compound was made for ground hunting and late season, because of the let off, and use it, all of late season...... Late season is better than the rut in the UP, but not in Wis....... In Wis area I hunt, bucks are a little easier to pattern..... In the UP, bucks travel many miles, so hunting is not easy during the rut, but late season, they concentrate more, in the better feed areas......

In Wis, late pm, is prime time, like in a lot of areas..... But in wolf country, I have learned that prime time, is mid day, because them old bucks, know them wolves are out on the hunt, at twilight, and they move, as little as they have too..............

I could write pages, on how my strategy has developed for me, after a lot of years of trial and error,,,,,,,,, I love bowhunting

I am fortunate, to be in an area, that when the snow flies, which is usually early November, I can track, and track a lot of undisturbed areas, since so few do it anymore, and sit on baits.......... Tracking is very effective during the ML season, where your lucky to see another guy or two even hunting.................

The cross bows, have allowed hunters to fill up early, and leave the woods,,,,,, which is fine with me

18-Mar-18
I get your strategy and it's a sound one. The only exception I would take is that if you're, "cover(ing) a lot of ground while looking for late season stands", then you're not really stillhunting. That's the exact opposite of stillhunting, or at least the way I do it.

• Sitka Gear