AZ~Rich 27-Jun-18
sleddogpa 27-Jun-18
AZ~Rich 27-Jun-18
sleddogpa 30-Jun-18
Buffalo1 30-Jun-18
sleddogpa 10-Jul-18
SableSlayer 27-Mar-19
19-Mar-18
I’m sure this has been discussed before but I can’t seem to find any info. What have been shipping cost been running Polokwane to JFK? Just looking for some ball park figures. I know what my dip and pack fees are but it seems like shipping is the big mystery.

20-Mar-18
Sleddogpa, Shipping costs can only be determined after your trophies are crated, weighed, and ready to go. Along with the size & weight of the crate, current fuel costs, method of shipment, and the carrier chosen to will all be factors in the final shipping costs.

Once the above info is determined, it really shouldn't be a big mystery to get you a shipping quote.... Even before your crate is ready to ship, your dip & pack or taxidermy company in Africa that did the work should be able to give you a good faith estimate of the shipping cost based on recent shipments of similar size and weight.

Once your crate is packed and ready to go, they typically have at least one or two logistics companies that they work with who will arrange for the shipping of your trophy crate, and they will provide your dip & packer with the final quote for the shipping cost. With most of these services, this should all be inclusive on one invoice. I would also recommend that you ask for at least two shipping options and quotes before your crate leaves RSA.

No reason at all your dip & packer should not be able to give you an estimated shipping cost now, and a final quote as soon as your trophies are ready to be shipped.

20-Mar-18
Thanks for the info. I will reach out to my dip and pack company and see if I can get som info.

20-Mar-18
Some companies charge a flat fee for each animal they dip and pack, regardless of what you bring home from that animal. For example, just bringing skull/horns may or may not cost the same as skull/horns and cape/skin of that animal. I didn't bring home some capes one time, to try to minimize charges, but it would have been the same amount (albeit it could make a small difference on weight for shipping charges). If you are contacting the company, make sure you understand how their charges are structured.

20-Mar-18
They use volumetric shipping. In short, it depends on either the size of the crate or the weight of the crate. Usually, when shipping trophies you run out of size before exceeding the weight limit. My typical crates are 6-10 animals and cost are $1000 plus rarely any less.

In addition, you should plan on $500-600 for a customs broker like Coppersmith.

The cost have gone up significantly in the last few years as there are less companies that will ship hunting trophies.

That is a very loose guide. The short answer is it depends. It gets complicated. A good taxidermist will fit one trophy inside of another. Think springbok mounted between the horns of a kudu. It all comes down to space utilization.

21-Mar-18
My crate will have capes and horns from my kudu, gemsbok, wildebeest, bush buck, 2 impala, 2 back skins and a zebra rug. I know with the company I used have a set size of the crate for a certain number of animals. Does anyone have an idea what a crate with those critters would weigh? Again just curious on my end. I’m getting totally excited for my trophies to get here!!

21-Mar-18
Again, nearly impossible to determine because you can never tell how efficiently the shipment will be packed. I have seen some shipments crated very efficiently utilizing every square inch of the crate it was shipped in... I have also seen containers used far too big for the contents inside.... as Mr. Vaillancourt correctly indicated, the cost is calculated by a volumetric formula using a combination of dimensions and weight. The dip & packer you are using should be able to give you a very close guess assuming they know what they are doing... What I have typically seen for a shipment containing what you are describing should not exceed 4'L x 4'W x 2'H and weigh 150 lbs or less....

21-Mar-18
You can cut costs by avoiding using a customs broker on the US side if you live within driving distance of a port of entry. Unless you are bringing in CITES animals you can clear the crate yourself. There is no reason to pay a middle man to do this for you. I've had 5 crates shipped directly from Joberg/Port Elizabeth to the Anchorage Intl Airport and cleared them myself or a had friend in Anchorage do it for me with zero problems.

21-Mar-18

AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
three crates: details
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
three crates: details
We recently had trophies air freighted last October from JNB. Three hunters, one crate per hunter. If a warthog or primate is included they must go into a separate crate, which most of the time is small enough to fit inside the larger crate. More rigidity about combining more than one hunter's trophies into one crate than in the past. Now each hunter must have their trophies in their own crate. Our importation was done under one consignment, so one person in our group became responsible for the consignment which included three crates. The air cargo charge for all three from JNB to Chicago then onto Reed City, MI was $1672. Total weight of three crates was 416 lbs. All our trophies were not finished, just Dip/packed & dried. Here is what each crate contained: #1 (1) Zebra- full skin, (1) Sable- Cape, skull/horns & backskin, (1) Reedbuck- cape, skull/horns and backskin, (1) Gemsbok- Cape & Skull/horns, (1) impala Cape & Skull/horns. #2 (1) Gemsbok- Cape, Skull/horns & backskin (1) Sable- Cape, Skull/horns & backskin , (1) Duiker- Cape & skull/horns, (1) Steenbuck- Cape & Skull/horns, (1) small crate with (1) warthog- cape, skull/tusks & backskin #3 (1) Sable- Cape, Skull/horns & backskin, (2) Springbok- Capes & Skulls/horns, (1) small crate with (1) warthog Skull/tusks, (1) Duiker-Fullskin & Skull/horns, (1) Steenbuck- Fullskin &Skull/horns.

The attached is more detail of the three crates.

21-Mar-18
I can tell you it cost me about 6700.00 dollars to get my dipped and packed trophies from Windhoek Namibia to butte mt., 2300 to taxidermist.. 2400 to shipping agent and another 2000.00 from jfk to butte.. that was 11 trophies.. horns and capes for shoulder mounts and one lifesize ostrich cape. Its going to cost me another 10,000.00 for taxidermy!

21-Mar-18
I think this thread has just reminded me why I’ll be bringing photos of my trophies home this summer! I have paid all those fees enough on previous trips. I just want to hunt, and for what’s would spend getting the trophies home I can do another hunt!

—Jim

21-Mar-18
Great info!! Thanks to everyone who’s posted. Being this was my first trip I wanted to take more critters but I knew the dip and ship would be almost as much as my hunt. I’m going to do some of my own taxidermy work on the smaller animals. I’m going to have my bigger critters done by a local taxidermist who has way more experience doing them. When I get my final dip and ship numbers I will post them. I’m sure people will have the same question as I do.

21-Mar-18
This was for 16 trophies total. Above I only included the cargo and transport costs to the tannery which came out to around $558/hunter. Our Dip/pack costs ran ~($790-$900 per hunter). The import brokerage and overland trucking costs came to around ($230 per hunter). As a taxidermist I have it all sent directly to the tannery and eventually after they work through them, everything is shipped to my shop for me to work on. So, yes things are not really inexpensive if you want to bring them back.

21-Mar-18
Treeman,

Wildebeests are off limits for you!! You kill any and I'm reporting you to PETA !!

Best of luck on your hunt.

21-Mar-18
Sorry Greg, at least one! Impala may get piled up on this trip though ;)

—jim

21-Mar-18
I will add my trip was worth every penny, the memories and friends made w my daughter will last a life time, she is going to pharmacy school and says we will see Africa again...I think about it everyday and wish I was headed there this june!

01-Jun-18
Update on shipping. We got a call back in April that our stuff was ready to ship. Woooohooo!!!?? So now it’s june first and our crates, which are supposed to be sent to JFK just left Atlanta on a truck?? Heading to JFK?? So it’s going on 2 months since we got the call. So with all the experience here, is this normal for it take take this long to get crates shipped? And the fact the shipping company sent our stuff to Atlanta via air and then trucking it to JFK? Or am I just being an inpatient hunter like a kid before Christmas morning?

01-Jun-18
When hunting with the Duckworths in Zimbabwe we had a guy in camp who only took photos back. He said by doing so he could go on 3 hunts instead of 2 for the same money. This post really shows why.

01-Jun-18
I've seen my crate flown to ATL then flown to NOLA where all the clearing paper work was done and I then picked up my crate.

I also seen my crate flown to NYC then trucked to NOLA where all the clearing paper work was done and I then picked up my crate.

My point is- never know how the travel route or how long it will take for crate to arrive and clear for pickup.

Just remember when you receive your crate and open it - it's Christmas morning for a kid all over again !!! Hard to do, but just be patient.

01-Jun-18
The last few years I been printing trophy photos on acrylic and metal, making displays in conjunction with euros and Horns. While that isnt the answer for every trophy it’s certainly a great high end finished product for some..

01-Jun-18
Trial 153 please send pics. European’s can be finished with some JB weld, Kilz and flat paint. Cheap!

03-Jun-18
Sleddogpa,

Once the trophies are crated and ready to be shipped, the logistics company on the African side needs to schedule your shipment with an air freight service. Depending on the carrier, your crate(s) will be put on the schedule, yet it may take several more weeks to actually ship once a date is confirmed. Again, depending on the carrier, it is not unusual to have your trophies shipped to one port of entry by air, and then sent by ground to a clearing point closer to you. Some air carriers only fly into certain cities, so it may be necessary for them to arrange a ground transfer once your shipment arrives in the USA. It's a safe bet that these are the most likely reasons for the delays you are experiencing.

Just FYI, Turkish Air is now getting the bulk of the business from many African logistics companies because Delta has become much more expensive in the last two years. Delta has also been back-logged on it's commercial freight shipments for months in 2017-18. Of the two, Turkish Air has been the shorter and cheaper choice, but they too have still been experiencing delays. Regardless, I wouldn't be too concerned with how your stuff is being handled.

13-Jun-18
Update. Well we were told that Delta lost all our paper work!! You have got to be kidding?? So the latest from our broker is my crate shouldn’t be too big of a deal,as there are no CITES critters. But my buddies crate not so lucky, he has baboon skull euro mounted and no original of his CITES permit. So our crates are stuck in F&W purgatory. They are trying to get copies of our paper work from Africa but the baboon skull needs an original permit. We hav been waiting since April for our stuff to arrive and now it’s here and we are no closer to getting our hands on our critters the we were 11 months ago after our hunt. Maybe next week??

13-Jun-18
Your PH doesn't have all original paperwork ?

13-Jun-18
From what I’m told is all the originals are sent with the shipment. We have copies of all the paper work including the CITES but F&W is wanting an original. We even got a letter from Delta stating they lost our paper work. So they accepted the copies for my crate but they want us to apply for a new or I guess a duplicate CITES from Africa and god only knows how long that will take?? So as of now my stufff is released waiting on a freight transfer to my taxidermist. Not sure if all customs brokers are the same but it seems like ours is very let’s say laid back. He tells us one thing and a week later we have to call him for an update and get a different story. I know this I will be happy when I can finally open the crate and see all my stuff.

13-Jun-18
All baboons are Appendix II which has different rules. From what I understand The shipping company or outfitter can apply for CITES export permit and once that is done the broker here can then get the Import permit. Not sure how long that takes but not much choice?? Sorry to hear about the screw up. Also sorry to hear another bad Delta story around shipping hunting trophies. Good luck!!

13-Jun-18
Maybe this statement from one of the RSA trophy cargo companies will explain better. “With App. II species we apply directly for the CITES EXPORT Permit. The consignment will then be exported after which the CITES IMPORT Permit will be issued upon arrival of the consignment in your home country”.

14-Jun-18
You are dealing with Africa. Nothing is easy. The good news is that it will work out. It is just going to take some time. I had an African import business and have dealt with this issue in the past.

I would suggest calling the US Fish and Wildlife Service in Atlanta, +1 404-679-7319. They are usually very helpful. I believe you simply need a duplicate CITIES permit but I would make sure. Then I would call your customs agent and follow up. It will likely take up to a month. You might also call Copppersmith and ask them advice. I used to deal with Tammy there.

I had the same thing happen last year and my stuff was delayed for about 6 weeks. It is going to be very frustrating but in the end, I am confident it will work out.

Good luck,

27-Jun-18
Sooo finally got a final bill from the customs broker or should I say I got a charge on my credit card. My final bill for shipping and broker fee’s was 2000.00. Now I’m a reasonable man and I understand things aren’t free but 2 grand seems like a hell of a lot of money for brokerage fee’s??? I know my air freight was 550.00 so he charged 1450 for his end. I’m really beside myself because no way did I figure 2 grand for this end of it or did I just have unrealistic expectations?

27-Jun-18
You should have gotten a statement with the breakdown of all costs from your Import broker. Who did you use?

27-Jun-18
I used wesco shippping. I got a price list from them and by my calculations it should have been about 500$ he told me that the storage fees is what drove the cost so high.

27-Jun-18
I did a search on Wesco and others have had similar overcharges and were not too happy with their experience with them. From your accounting it appears Wesco handled your intl shipping to Port of entry (JFK) where they also handled the clearance of trophies through Customs, USDA & USFWS, and I assume it includes shipping to the final destination in PA? Shipping was $550, import clearances usually run $400-500, so was the rest ~$1000 was for storage? That is really unfortunate and is why using one of the more established import brokers can be less costly as they usually have their own warehouses when awaiting clearance visits by US officials. They have a volume business around these processes and know how to get things done with the agencies in short order, avoiding extra storage fees. They all have storage fee rates for excess wait times but the good ones have built in allowances for the normal time it takes to clear trophies in their base costs.

30-Jun-18

sleddogpa's embedded Photo
So here is the final invoice for my importation. I’m sick to my stomach at what this guy charged. Almost 400 for freight charges to ship my crate less than a 100 miles. 300 for airline storage fees from delta but they only charge at 10$ a day. What a complete scam job this has been. Not sure what to do?? Debating on disputing the charges on my credit card or go after him in court. I most certainly did not expect to pay 2 grand to import 6 plains games animals!!

30-Jun-18
I can’t say I’m familiar with the breakout of charges like is on this bill.

Like you, I have more questions than answers.

Hope you can get this matter resolved.

10-Jul-18

After 11 months I finally have my hands on my stuff from Africa. Merry Christmas to me.

27-Mar-19

SableSlayer's embedded Photo
2018 African Trophy Shipment Has Arrived!
SableSlayer's embedded Photo
2018 African Trophy Shipment Has Arrived!
I just received my trophies from RSA yesterday, March 26th, 2019 so the cost is fresh on my mind. This shipment arrived 3 months ahead of all previous shipments. I’ve hunted 32 days with Dries Visser Safaris since 2011 and taken 32 trophies. My import costs have been pretty consistent over the years at $400-$500/animal depending on the number (5-11) and size (weight) of the trophies, delivered to my front door in Idaho. My shipments have included European skulls; dried, raw capes and some tanned flatskins and backskins. (Tanning costs are optional and not included here.) It all starts with your outfitter and the field care of your trophies. I credit my outfitter, Dries Visser Safaris, for assembling a team of professionals that have consistently made this experience hassle free for me. They handle all the inspections, permits and paper work. This last shipment weighed 321 lbs. and contained 10 animals ranging in size from a porcupine to a roan. Here is my most recent price break down: Swift Dip (dip and crate): $1550 Safari Cargo Systems (export shipping) $1190 Coppersmith Portland (import broker) $ 729 Diamond Line (US Ground Freight) $ 676 Total $4145 Average per animal $414.50 Undoubtedly this excellent service takes time and costs money. I plan to use my team of professionals again in the near future.

• Sitka Gear