bowyer45 23-Mar-18
donnybowhunter 10-Jun-18
CWOotr 11-Jun-18
altitude sick 11-Jun-18
CWOotr 12-Jun-18
DonVathome 12-Jun-18
BIGHORN 14-Jun-18
20-Mar-18
Is it worth jumping in the Colorado moose game? $3 a point is cheap enough to pay for a chance or am I missing something?

20-Mar-18
It’s a trap. Yes and no. I have been putting in every year they have had a point system and several before. My chance of drawing a tag goes down every year as more people get above the 3-point minimum...

20-Mar-18
put in for a non resident cow moose tag and you just might draw it the same year. You need to apply for a specific game management unit. A bull tag, you need at least 3 years of applications to get into the system and after that I might take you years to draw.

20-Mar-18
I think you are missing something. The preference point gets charged when you don’t draw or aren’t exempt from the fee. Last I recall it was 40 a point unless it was changed.

20-Mar-18
Paul is correct - as a nonresident, you could draw a cow tag this year or next.

20-Mar-18
Trial153- No, amazingly there's no point fee for Moose, Goat or Sheep. Very possible that will change in a couple years, once the members of the Newbie Onslaught of 2018 are all hooked into the points game. It's a pattern that has been repeated by the game departments in multiple western states.

Wisconsinteacher- Most NR who start applying today will not draw a bull tag in their lifetime. Of course you can't draw if you don't enter. But that's true of the Powerball as well.

20-Mar-18
As others mentioned above, Cow Moose can be drawn. Currently, you don't need points. Although depending on the NR and his budget, he may not find it to be a value at 2211.00, being that's about 5-1/2 times the cost of a cow elk tag. That's why they're perennially under-subscribed for NR.

20-Mar-18
Jump in. Everyone else will be.

20-Mar-18
It’s dedinitely worth getting a preference point. After 3 you’re in the draw. Like others said you can draw a cow tag pretty easily.

20-Mar-18
Jump in and Tell your friends. We can see really how bad the odds can get this year!

In all seriousness. It’s worth a try. But moose tag is Truly the hardest tag to get in colorado

20-Mar-18
I never checked my refunds, i assumed the prefrence point cost of 40 was taken out same as elk and deer. Thanks for the heads up.

20-Mar-18
You’re only charged the $40 PP fee if you didn’t have a big game or annual fishing license last year

20-Mar-18

BullBuster's embedded Photo
BullBuster's embedded Photo
Drew with 8 pts nonresident. 50”. Enuf said.

21-Mar-18
Saw as many bull moose as elk in the drainage we were in. One of them was really pissed off too. We kept our distance. 2 were pretty decent bulls. One dink was 100 yards from our camp. Its also the same area the record bull came out of a couple of years ago.

21-Mar-18
If you do draw PM me because I know where lives a beauty! He's been hanging in the same basin two years in a row where I elk hunt.

22-Mar-18
1$ is a cheap enough chance to win the lottery or am I missing something? ;)

22-Mar-18
I applied since the beginning as a resident, as has my father, ex- brother-in-law and tons of friends. I have known several people who have drawn as residents over the years.

I gave up myself as a max-point holder for a bull and put in on a Cow tag just to kill a moose, which I did.

The non-resident odds for a Cow are like 100%, but you have to pay the tag cost which is the same as the bull tag.

For residents, demand has waned some on cow tags, a few years back, odd for resident archery Ram tags were better than Cow Moose- that has changed a bit.

I would warn you that some of the new units and permits on Moose can be extremely difficult hunts- especially for cows! Established units with several decades of hunting you can pretty much count on killing a cow or a bull. Moose densities in newly opened unit are different. Moose can also be extremely difficult to locate before archery season, but if you do they tend to stay in small areas until the rut.

If you don't play, you cannot win! After 3 years, it is pretty much dumb luck on the draw.

23-Mar-18
Ten years ago in canada the fee to have a licence and chance to hunt a cow moose was around 1800. think about it.

10-Jun-18
i have 3 + 17...."no tag" again. twenty years of applying as a resident..

11-Jun-18
It is a bummer to not draw but we have the best system of any state. Yes, more people put in every year but that would be the case no matter how the draw is conducted. Our system rewards those who have been playing the game the longest with a better weighted chance to draw but allows everyone with at least 3 preference points to have a chance. Essentially, your 6-digit random draw number is divided by your weighted points plus one. Then the tags are given to the people with the lowest resulting draw number after the division. To draw, you have to get a low initial random number. That is the key. Your weighted points help but are no guarantee.

11-Jun-18
At least there is some random chance with the Moose, Sheep,Goat system. Everyone complains about the elk, deer point creep then in the same sentence complain about the moose system. There are a few thousand more people that want to hunt moose then there are tags. No magical system changes the fact that most will never draw a tag. And playing the different systems in different states is actually fun. Build a 1-10 points in CO, WY, MT and go hunt. Build 10- 15 in Utah,NV, and hunt. AZ, AK have otc archery tags. Face it there are more hunters than tags. Always will be so we might as well plan around it. Just my opinion and system.

12-Jun-18
altitude sick you got it right.

12-Jun-18
More hunters the tags I have no problem with. Changing the draw so seven times more people apply is an entirely different thing. Seven times as many non-residents didn’t suddenly decide they wanted to hunt moose versus last year. And bad odds multiplied by seven are well let’s face it seven times worse!

14-Jun-18
This is my 20th year applying for a bull moose tag. I finally drew this year. How, I applied in a unit that didn't have as many hunters applying.

• Sitka Gear