TD 01-Apr-18
wooddamon1 02-Apr-18
midwest 02-Apr-18
SBH 02-Apr-18
orionsbrother 02-Apr-18
EmbryOklahoma 03-Apr-18
25-Mar-18

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
This is the year the stave was cut and near Ada, Ok.
This is the year the stave was cut and near Ada, Ok.
My old neighbor from Norman, Oklahoma has been building selfbows for years now. Him and several others in the Oklahoma Selfbow society, started a bow building clinic years ago called "O-Jam". Hundreds of people come and camp, build bows, arrows, nap arrowheads, shoot bows and just enjoy the camaraderie. It's a blast and usually during the last week of March.

So... I've always wanted to try my hand at making my own bow. This year I sat aside some time and went to work. Along with my good friend, Mike Hames, I made it happen. I'm super proud of this bow and the direction it's taking not only my shooting, but hunting.

The bow ended up 62" long and around 46-48 pounds at 28". I'll post some finish pics this week as I get some stain, sealant and leather hand wrap on.

Proud of this bow!

25-Mar-18

Shaping...
Shaping...
Forming handle area...
Forming handle area...
Forming tips and cutting string grooves.
Forming tips and cutting string grooves.
The bow is Osage orange or bois d'arc... also called horse apple or hedge apple. :)

25-Mar-18
That's pretty dang cool. Looking forward to more pics. Nice work

25-Mar-18
Awesome Rick!

Are you going to hunt with it this fall?

25-Mar-18
Mark, you bet I am!

25-Mar-18
Warning addiction is possible. What do they say about crack cocaine, some people take one hit and are addicts haha. Good work. That wood can speak deep into you.

25-Mar-18

25-Mar-18

Checking straightness...
Checking straightness...
Working on tiller...
Working on tiller...
This is my buddy Mike Hames who helped me make this happen. His knowledge is through the roof. Plus, he's one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

25-Mar-18

Gold dust..
Gold dust..

25-Mar-18

Getting closer...

25-Mar-18

Here it was when we had to put heat to it to remove a little twist from one limb.

25-Mar-18

Some others that were building bows as well. The work it entails is off of the chart. It's demanding, it's tedious and you'd better not be in a hurry.

25-Mar-18

Through the guidance of others... this is what I've created up to now. Again, I'll post 100% completed project in the next few days. Hope you enjoyed the photos. I enjoyed making the bow.

25-Mar-18
That's not a CNC..... =D

Pretty cool.

25-Mar-18
Pretty cool, Rick! Will we have to come visit you on Leatherwall now? ;-)

25-Mar-18
I'll be posting here too, no worries Nick. ;)

25-Mar-18
Nice.

25-Mar-18
Rick, I think that bow is speaking to you! my best, Paul

26-Mar-18
Rick, that's so cool that you made a bow.

I'd love to do this. My hunting partner Ron's brother went to this last year and talking with him, it sounds like an amazing experience and great education. I've always wanted to make a self bow and hunt with it.

26-Mar-18
Ike, you should do it next year if you can get away. It's usually in the late March time frame. But... I think there are others as well. Montana had one last year as well. A lot of bows were built, I hear.

26-Mar-18
Very nice, thank you for the pictures.

26-Mar-18
Also... if you google "Mo-Jam", there will be many photos I'm sure. That is where O-Jam was spawned from, and it quickly became one of the largest bow building clinics in the US., if not the biggest.

26-Mar-18
Very impressive Rick!!

26-Mar-18
Great stuff Rick! I am going a similar route for 2018, except I bought mine :( I'd love to make one someday, but right now I do not have enough time to commit to it. Best of luck with your new bow, I haven't been this excited to go hunting in a long time. I remember what it felt like when I took my first (only) trad animal and I want to feel that a few more times. I also think that shooting a recurve, etc, has made me a much better shot with my compound, it was silly how easy it was to shoot a compound after a few months with the 'curve.

Again, best of luck, she looks nice!

26-Mar-18
I have one my Dad made in the late 1950's. Cool stuff.

26-Mar-18
Rick,really cool stuff ,you should be very proud.Now I feel sorry for the first three does that walk by ya this year (maybe you will hit one?) Jk !

26-Mar-18
Excellent Rick, congratulations! I am envious. Best of luck to you hunting with the bow this year; I'm sure you'll make it happen.

26-Mar-18
What an awesome project,Rick! Looking great so far!

Just hope you don’t turn into one of those “get off my lawn” guys! ;-)

26-Mar-18
Ya congrats Rick - now it's OK to miss!

26-Mar-18
Well done! Very rewarding!

26-Mar-18
Nice looking bow. Had one blow up on me in the Bowshop once. Been gun shy ever since! Good luck you will look good in all leather . Hunt

26-Mar-18
Thanks guys!

Where this takes me is anyone's guess. If I go all trad, all the time, then so be it. One thing is a certain... I know my limitations and I am very realistic. If I can't get it to hit where I want to, it will be a decoration in my home. Regardless, it's something I've always wanted to do and I'm very proud of it. Now, get off of my lawn!

26-Mar-18
Hackbow (Darren), don't think I'll be making MoJam. I can't imagine building a bow in July! Wow.

Nick... I hear you man. It's like a fresh start, so to speak. I'm sure I'll be shaking like a leaf at that first doe or pig that comes into range. The thought of taking an animal with this bow will be a rush, I'm sure. Can't wait to get to shooting it.

Apauls... I actually chuckled at one of your posts for the first time ever. :)

26-Mar-18
Very cool project. Can’t wait to see how it shoots.

26-Mar-18
Nice job Rick!!

26-Mar-18
That prickly dang hedge sure makes a nice looking bow.....thx for sharing....very cool

26-Mar-18
Sweet bow and project Rick!!

Keep it coming!

Mark

26-Mar-18
Everything looks better in leather..... well, most things.....

26-Mar-18
TD... don't you think Hunt would look better in leather? Kind of like Freddie Mercury with that dark mustache. Lol

26-Mar-18
Man that's cool. Congrats man. Way to make it happen.

26-Mar-18
Really cool, Rick! Thanks for sharing. I'm a big fan of Osage, especially for longbows. Forgiving wood, and gorgeous when it ambers in sunlight.

26-Mar-18
That's really cool! I'm looking forward to reading about the adventures you enjoy with it.

26-Mar-18
Oh great! Just great! Stop encouraging him guys, Next thing you know he’s going to be posting pictures of himself in a loincloth.

26-Mar-18
Pretty cool Rick, "Christen" that thing in PBR!

P.S. The Queen reference made me lol...don't hate, HUNT!

26-Mar-18
Beauty! Stick sumthn!

26-Mar-18
Very good work, Rick! She’s a beaut! Will look forward to the stories she helps you tell in the future! She has the curves and lines of a killer:) Love those auburn honeys and they just get more beautiful with time...

26-Mar-18
Well done buddy!

27-Mar-18
Soooo..... ya lookin' at a 5 and 10 yard pin????? Or a slider to 20?..... =D

I'm thinking this has minimum, a hunsky posts....... just wait.....

27-Mar-18
"One thing is a certain... I know my limitations and I am very realistic. If I can't get it to hit where I want to, it will be a decoration in my home."

I've been shooting a recurve year round for about 4 years now and haven't hunted with it yet, largely for that reason, but also confidence. I've come close and will definitely hunt some with it for local deer this year. Shooting a stick bow is way more fun than shooting a compound. I bet the feeling of accomplishment taking a big game animal with a self bow is a really cool thing.

27-Mar-18
Very nice, indeed something to be proud of. Looking forward to the "field" photos...

27-Mar-18
That's cool! I have always wanted to build my own, maybe someday. Good luck with it!

27-Mar-18
What a project!!

They look very kool though

Congrats to the craftman/woodworkers

#LovinLife

Robb

30-Mar-18

Stain going on...

30-Mar-18
Nice job

30-Mar-18

Sealing... with low gloss tung oil.

31-Mar-18
That's really cool Rick! Thanks for sharing.

31-Mar-18
Rick, just got back from being up North with my youngest for Spring Break. I am impressed! I hope to follow in your footsteps one day. I'm looking forward to the pictures of you with the deer and hogs you kill with that bow.

31-Mar-18
From start to finish......if you had to guess, how many hours do you have in making it?

31-Mar-18
Jake... this being my first and the process being much slower, I'd say I have around 16-18 hours over 5 days. Much of that time, in my case, was contemplating what to do next. Now that there's much more clarity, I could do one in half of that time I think. It's amazing that the first part of choosing the proper stave, cutting it properly, is the most important part. The tillering is very important also. Slow and steady.

31-Mar-18

By the way... the bow is complete. Thank you for the comments and I hope you like it. Now it's time to get my brace height figured out and proper arrows.

31-Mar-18

31-Mar-18
>>>------>

31-Mar-18
Did it bite your wrist already?

31-Mar-18
"Bite your wrist"? No. It slapped it though. Because I wasn't wearing my wrist guard. ;)

31-Mar-18
Are you taking orders? 27" @ 55#

31-Mar-18

Glunker... you can come build to your liking. I won't be taking orders, sorry. :)

This was my first group at 10 yds. Different animal, but I've shot curves for some time, I'll figure it out. Feels good in my hands.

31-Mar-18
Rick, check this out. Google search, "Jake Powell, brown bear". He accomplished this feat with a hand made self bow. A deer or hog should be a piece of cake. Paul

31-Mar-18
Honestly, Paul, killing a deer or hog with this bow will pale in comparison to the craftsmanship that was put into making it. I will check out the video, thank you.

01-Apr-18

TD's embedded Photo
Leather can change this.......
TD's embedded Photo
Leather can change this.......
TD's embedded Photo
To this......
TD's embedded Photo
To this......
Wow Embry..... that's a work of art. Pretty cool. Gonna feel great when you put something on the ground with it. Congrats!

Told ya..... the leather really sets it off.... =D

01-Apr-18
Damn, TD. That's different level shiz right there. Woh! Still think HUNT would look better in leather.

01-Apr-18

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo
Hunt..... I think he's MADE of leather....... OK, well oiled up leather, much softer after the Dad thing and all..... not so much crusty ol' rawhide.... =D

Told ya we kick this thing to a hundred.... =D

Those pics was just for shock value...... Actually your oiled and leathered up bow would be more like this...... a classic..... "when you're done skinnin' this one I'll git you another....."

02-Apr-18
That's a heck of a nice bow you made. I'm leaning that way myself after 20+ years shooting glass bows. There's a primitive rendezvous in Marshall, MI Memorial Day weekend for anyone nearby looking to dive into this old school stuff. Bow making and all things relative. Even had a couple guys offer to help me build my first for free, really hoping to make it there and start hacking on some osage.

Good luck with that beauty!

02-Apr-18
badass

02-Apr-18
Well done brotha! Looks like you can shoot that thing too! Midwest is right, thats bad ass.

02-Apr-18
I don't know Hunt personally... but I'm OK without seeing him in leather.

I'm checking in to see more of the bow and to look for some pics and info on Rick's arrows.

Now, I'm imagining Hunt emulating Freddy Mercury. None of us want that.

03-Apr-18
Damon, Nick, Matt... thanks a ton! Shooting this bow is much smoother than I thought it might be. I can already see myself killing something with it, soon!

This is something I've been wanting to do for 10 years or more. In this short time we have on this planet, I'm sure glad I did.

Cool thing... after the final sanding, and staining, sealant, wrap, and the final touches... I sent a pic to my friend who followed/helped along during this process.... he was VERY excited to see the final project. So am I... :)

• Sitka Gear