splitlimb13 05-Apr-18
splitlimb13 05-Apr-18
WapitiBob 05-Apr-18
splitlimb13 05-Apr-18
NoWiser 06-Apr-18
31-Mar-18
Elk, always elk.

31-Mar-18
Yep, need to see some green next to elk as well.....and oryx:)

31-Mar-18
Elk and oryx are equal to me, enjoy hunting each the same.

31-Mar-18
I put in for Sheep, Deer, Elk, and Antelope. The sheep tag would be amazing but I'm really hoping for the antelope tag.

31-Mar-18
I want oryx! I want my son to draw a youth elk tag.

31-Mar-18
I am hoping for an elk tag, but I am also excited for the javelina tag also!

31-Mar-18
I was hoping I would pull a New Mexico tag this year. When I pulled a rabbit out of the hat in Wyoming that changed my New Mexico plans. Didn’t even put in an app this year.

Good luck to all you guys in the draw.

01-Apr-18
Sheep!

01-Apr-18
Sheep for me as well, I've been applying for a very long time.......come on green!

01-Apr-18
nothing I don't due NM

01-Apr-18
Desert Bighorn Ram, but that's mostly a fantasy due to the horrible odds. I pin my hopes on Archery Ibex. Years ago it was an easy-draw tag with extremely low success. No longer an easy draw though.

01-Apr-18
going to look for sheds again today. found a pretty big one the other day. lots of big elk in new mexico.

01-Apr-18
Sheep or Ibex

01-Apr-18
Can’t wait. Haven’t drawn NM since 2009!!!

This is the year!! Elk paradise!

01-Apr-18
2011 for me. Too long a wait. Downgraded my #3 choice this year just hoping to take my wife on her first US hunting experience. She retires from her teaching career in China and moves here July 12th. I thought she might like visiting the north central part of state. What a change from the old days when it was 90% draw every year.

01-Apr-18
^^^ that's because you had to choose weapon and they drew by unit in the old days.

01-Apr-18
Elk.

01-Apr-18
I don't recall ever having to choose a singular weapon type since I started applying.

from the 2003 regs

"3 You may designate up to three hunt choices, if available. Your second and third choices MAY be for different sporting arms types."

2009 was when they restricted Q and HD Elk/Antelope licenses to those what didn't draw Q/HD in 2008; repealed for 2010.

01-Apr-18
I would be happy with a deer tag after a total blank last year. Antelope and elk would be icing on the cake

01-Apr-18
Elk for me. With that said I would love to hunt Ibex some day, or at least help someone else on their hunt.

01-Apr-18
I remember the good ole days of choosing one weapon for all three choices and the drawing per unit. Had an elk tag every year you wanted one and could buy otc deer permits. Have one in pocket while hunting elk in case you saw a huge velvet buck but mostly had it for January. I applied for everything but Javalina

01-Apr-18
"I don't recall ever having to choose a singular weapon type since I started applying. from the 2003 regs"

It was before 2003. We're talking 80's and 90's. Also, rifle hunters had to sit out (for rifle hunts) the next year if they drew.

01-Apr-18
Allowing multiple choices per species is starting to seem like an out-of-date policy in this age of severely over-subscribed hunts. If NM allowed just one hunt code choice per species, some of the lesser demand elk & deer tags would probably become much easier to draw. Archery Ibex would definitely be easier to draw. And for species like sheep, with a fraction of 1% draw odds for all hunts, it's hard to see any logic in allowing more than 1 hunt code choice. For those hunts, I guess it's intended as a sort of confidence builder....albeit a mostly false one.

01-Apr-18
Just remember hunting is a dying sport!! Hard to remember sometimes when your applying for sub 1% odds tags. Good luck with the lottery guys and gals.

01-Apr-18
"If NM allowed just one hunt code choice per species, some of the lesser demand elk & deer tags would probably become much easier to draw. "

Up till about 2003 NM looked at everyone's first choice, before going on to 2nd, etc, so pretty similar to what you suggest. And yes it was easier to draw lower demand units under the old system. I'm not sure why the system was changed to look at all choices when drawn (some outfitter probably had the ear of a commissioner), but I doubt it will ever go back. The change to look at all 3 choices also made it harder to draw the premium tags, if that was all you were interested in applying for. So there are always winners and losers when they tinker with the process.

01-Apr-18
Sticksender ,if I were to change anything about our draw process,it would definitely be that. I like that all choices are evaluated when the application is drawn. It would definitely improve odds if we were to have to chose one weapon choice! Good luck all( who didn't apply for the same units as me) hahaha :)

02-Apr-18
I actually really like NM's way of doing their draw compared to many of the other states. It is probably the most democratic draw system in the west. Everyone has the same chance at every tag and when your number comes up, you get 3 chances to see if you scored a tag or not. I'm not a huge fan of the outfitter pool but that's the way things work anymore. I just hope this is the year I finally score a tag!

02-Apr-18
I'm in for elk.

Aside from the outfitter and landowner tags, I love the way NM allocates their tags. In some ways only looking at the 1st choice would be nice, but in some ways looking at all 3 choices is nice. Either is fine with me, I just like that they haven't fallen for the preference point scheme.

Crossing my fingers that I get a green box this year! Results next week maybe??

02-Apr-18
I'm thinking end of next week would be perfectly fine with me!!!

02-Apr-18
Green...green...green...all I see in my dreams...

02-Apr-18
Barbary Sheep

02-Apr-18
I'm in for everything except Mule deer...

02-Apr-18
Adventure, being from Colorado I don't blame you about the deer hahaha .

02-Apr-18
Colorado guys gota try a little whitetail in nm! Lot harder trophy than az whitetail! Gota go in for coues

02-Apr-18
I'm guilty too swamp! No coues for me!

03-Apr-18
split you can get in on regular whitetail up near the Canadian river

03-Apr-18
I hear that priley! Just hard to NOT chase the monster floppy ears!

03-Apr-18
Draw results will be available on Wednesday!

03-Apr-18
Calendar says Wednesday 25th.

Where'd you hear that HDE?

03-Apr-18
HDE didn't say WHICH Wednesday, LOL

03-Apr-18
Ahahahaha !! True statement!

03-Apr-18
Good one HDE!!

03-Apr-18
It's all fun and games, until you draw nothing and it's tomorrow. I'm so anxious now. Haha

04-Apr-18
Sorry, couldn't resist

04-Apr-18
Emails went out to those who drew on April 12 last year. In the afternoon. At 4:30 pm. Weird how I can remember that but don't remember what my wife told me about this afternoon. I think I need help.

04-Apr-18
Elkstabber I have that same problem! Weird how that happened. I can even remember where I left a handful of pistachios last season. =)

04-Apr-18
I can remember I HAD a wife.

04-Apr-18
Heard it could be this week or next. Good luck!

04-Apr-18
In for elk and deer. Success or disappointment. Which will it be?

04-Apr-18
I'm saying by the 13th!

05-Apr-18
There never was a multiple choice, single weapon system. The old system was a single choice so by default it was a single weapon. Mutiple weapon choices came at the same time as the current 3 choice scheme.

05-Apr-18
Maybe it is just coincidence but not long before NM went to the three choice system I commented at a game commission meeting that they should allow two choices that are evaluated before the next applicant. And like JRABQ said, it killed the odds for the premium hunts. Dumbest idea I ever had...

Personally, I like Arizona's bonus system best of all the draw system's. Only 20% of permits are in the winner take all portion of the draw. Pure preference points systems like Colorado and squared bonus point systems applicable to all permits like NV are really hurting young or just entering hunters chances of drawing a good or great permit. And the creep makes it worse every year.

05-Apr-18
I've been fortunate and blessed to be able to hunt elk 8 years in a row now.,in good units. That is really not likely to happen in AZ . I really like NM draw system,they have it nailed down good. The only thing I would change would be making the system to where you can apply for only the same weapon choice for all 3 choices. That would improve the archery odds IMO. Other than that I'd say don't touch it.

05-Apr-18
How long ago was it a single choice? I remember unit 2 and 5B (5 at the time) being very popular for 2nd and 3rd choices because you were almost always guaranteed a tag every year.

05-Apr-18
Results up yet?

05-Apr-18
Takes years to build points for good units in AZ. There are 3 steps to the draw. First round gives 20% of all tags in all units to highest point holders being 21-22 points/years of building points. 2nd phase is Max point holders who didn't draw first choice get thrown back in the bucket and their second choices are evaluated and issued by points. 3rd phase is anyone who hasn't drawn at that point gets thrown into the bucket again with other 80% and the 3,4&5 choice tags are issued , still the more points built the higher the success is to draw the tag. Takes years to draw good hunts.

05-Apr-18
That's the only thing about UT I like except theirs is 50/50, unless there is only one tag availabe then it's a free-for-all.

05-Apr-18
I think you can still delete NM apps, do that and put in for ID. That way there are no conflicts.

05-Apr-18
That doesn't sound right for AZ.

05-Apr-18

smarba's Link
Idaho draw method is spelled out in another current Bowsite thread

05-Apr-18
Must be nice to be a resident split. I’ve drawn 2 elk tags in the last 10 draws. We don’t differentiate Rez and nr in my home state draw. What would it be like...

05-Apr-18

05-Apr-18
The ones I drew were very low demand hunt.

05-Apr-18
Sorry sawmp ! Kind of a perk! I honestly wouldn't mind a better split for you all.

05-Apr-18
That's how it's done no wiser . Building deer points wanna get a strip or kaibab tag one day.

05-Apr-18
Sorry nowiser , the second round the applicants with Max points who were not drawn in the first part of the drawing are thrown back in the bucket and at that point all applicants are assigned random numbers for the draw according to how many bonus points they have, so the guy with 20 points gets 20 numbers thrown in and the guy with 10 points/ years only gets 10 numbers thrown in , and so on. At that second point in the draw the first n second choices are evaluated again. The third part the STILL unsuccessful applicants are thrown in again ( based on your number of points) you are assigned that many numbers and 3,4,&5 are then evaluated. So to some it up the more points a person has improves their odds by placing them more times in " the hat" . Complicated. NM system rocks!

05-Apr-18
That sounds more like how I understand AZ works. You are 100% correct. The NM system rocks. I drew a Gila tag my 1st year applying. Since I was born a generation too late, there aren't many states I can have an equal shot at a premium tag. I've struck out every year since, but maybe lightening will strike again this year!

05-Apr-18
hell yes it rocks, especially after drawing eight yrs in a row... lol

05-Apr-18
Being a resident doesn't give you an advantage, at least for me.

No point in buying a lottery ticket, I may have used up a lifetime of good luck last year on VV.

05-Apr-18
It rocks for residents. DIY Nonresidents...............not so much.

05-Apr-18
"First round gives 20% of all tags in all units to highest point holders being 21-22 points/years of building points. 2nd phase is Max point holders who didn't draw first choice get thrown back in the bucket and their second choices are evaluated and issued by points. 3rd phase is anyone who hasn't drawn at that point gets thrown into the bucket again with other 80% and the 3,4&5 choice tags are issued , still the more points built the higher the success is to draw the tag."

This is not how it works in AZ

05-Apr-18
the second round the applicants with Max points who were not drawn in the first part of the drawing are thrown back in the bucket and at that point all applicants are assigned random numbers for the draw according to how many bonus points they have, so the guy with 20 points gets 20 numbers thrown in and the guy with 10 points/ years only gets 10 numbers thrown in , and so on. At that second point in the draw the first n second choices are evaluated again. The third part the STILL unsuccessful applicants are thrown in again ( based on your number of points) you are assigned that many numbers and 3,4,&5 are then evaluated. This is I corrected that BOB! Regardless it takes a great deal longer to draw tags .

05-Apr-18

splitlimb13's Link

05-Apr-18
I missed the correction.

6 points will get you a tag in AZ. Late bow or late rifle but decent hunts.

05-Apr-18
Yessir,my friend drew the late season archery tag this year. After 6 years. I'm building points for deer ,I don't really feel the need to build elk points,but if I did start now I'll be maxed by the time I'm 53 lol. maybe a good retirement gift.

06-Apr-18
I'm not sure how old you are, but if you start now it's unlikely you'll ever be in the top point pool. If you are a teenager, patient, and live longer than average it might be possible.

• Sitka Gear