sticksender 04-Apr-18
Nick Muche 04-Apr-18
tkjwonta 04-Apr-18
DonVathome 04-Apr-18
Eric B. 04-Apr-18
YZF-88 04-Apr-18
Nick Muche 05-Apr-18
03-Apr-18
How does Idaho conduct their draw? I assume they start with assigning a random number to each app.

Do they pull a name then check their choices or do they start with the first unit and see who has the lowest (or highest) randomly assigned number for each tag?

03-Apr-18
For each species they create a random list of all applicants, without regard to residency, and fill first choices starting with the top name and moving down the list, until there are no hunts left, or no names left. Subject to the statewide NR 10% ceiling, and subject to the NR ceiling of 1 tag per each hunt code with 10 or less total tags. Once the NR caps are hit, the remaining NR names further down the list are ineligible, and only residents can draw the remaining tags. Another pass is done to fill any 2nd choices for which there are remaining tags, but this never occurs for Sheep or Goat. The nice feature of their system is that NR are eligible for all hunts until one of the two ceilings are hit. Meaning for example a NR can draw Hell's Canyon Sheep even though only one tag is issued, and a NR can draw Lemhi Goats offering just one tag, and etc. Due to high NR participation as a proportion of the total pool of applicants, the "up to 10%" NR ceiling is usually reached on the OIL hunts.

Also note that for NR sheep, they figure a total NR ceiling by summing the total allocation between RMBS and CBS, and sometimes shift the NR allocation by plus-one tag for CBS and minus-one from RMBS. That's the reason, with only 24 tags statewide for CBS, NR can draw 3 tags.

03-Apr-18
Now that is what I call a complete, concise, comprehensive and easily understood answer to a question.....this post I will save !!

03-Apr-18
I agree, that was thought out and written!

03-Apr-18
Greg is the master of Western draws!

03-Apr-18
1 potatoe, 2 potatoe 3 potatoe......... seems that way.

03-Apr-18
Which units are drawn first? That non resident cap of 3 tags can and probably does get reached rather quickly. End of draw for NR.

Pretty much a crap shoot. The devil in the details.

would at least like to know that I actually am in the draw for a tag albeit tiny odds. Not the current hocus pocus. 10% cap is reached the next twenty units in the draw the NR apps are removed. Do they draw the units in same sequence every year or do they or do they change it up now and then gosh what a game.

03-Apr-18
Like iceman said Greg is the most knowledgeable guy I know on western draws. Dudes a freaking genius and and pretty good guy to share a hunt with too!

04-Apr-18
huntcell,

According to the post above they don’t draw units in an order, they draw people in an order. They go down the list awarding first choices on units. If they get to a name where all the first choices are already taken OR the NR cap has been met, they move on to the next name.

04-Apr-18
Thanks for clarification. Well that process seems just as vague. No Idaho for me, ten other state lotteries is enough.

04-Apr-18
Can a person apply for an Unlimited Pronghorn permit and for a Sheep/Moose or Goat permit at the same time? I cannot remember and I cannot find it in the regulations.

04-Apr-18
Nick the answer is yes you can.

04-Apr-18
Thank you!

04-Apr-18
Huntcell, I agree with you, I don't like the "application based sorting" that Idaho does either. It seems to me that this eliminates the incentive to apply for lower demand units as a NR, since you have to be one of the very "best" NR apps to draw a tag anyway.

04-Apr-18
FYI you can get a little better draw odds there is you look really close and crunch some numbers. NR apps see saw sometimes based on last years odds - tough to do but picking a unit where NR apps jumped hoping others will bail might pay off.

Thanks SS!

04-Apr-18
Coming back home to see us Nick?

04-Apr-18
The way I understand it as a NR for hunts with a NR cap of say 1-3 is that not only do you have to be in the group of people that applied, but you also have to be the first, second or third NR applicant.

05-Apr-18
Eric, I plan to be down there to Mule Deer hunt later on in the year. Should be a good time, I really enjoy hunting in Idaho, it's been a few years and I need something to do in late November/December.

• Sitka Gear