altitude sick 30-Jan-19
loprofile 30-Jan-19
Scar Finga 31-Jan-19
Enewman 31-Jan-19
Beendare 31-Jan-19
Huntskifishcook 31-Jan-19
walks with a gimp 31-Jan-19
04-Apr-18
Have an 85lb Hoyt nitrum turbo 27.5in draw. Should I use grizzlystik momentum or Easton FMJ dangerous game. Most likely will be using 150 grain or 200 grain Broadhead/field point.

04-Apr-18
FMJ

04-Apr-18
Grizzlystik

04-Apr-18
I shot Grizzlystiks out of my recurve for half of a season. I was very disappointed in their quality control, especially on the wide variance of spine. It was so bad that I switched arrows halfway through the season. That was about 5-6 years ago so maybe they have improved but I would still trust any Easton shaft before a Grizzlystik shaft.

04-Apr-18
Goldtip are tough

04-Apr-18
FMJ. I haven't seen a Grizzlystick in quite a while, but the last ones I ordered years ago, not one out of a dozen were even close to being straight. FMJs are so good, I don't see any reason to even look at anything else. Full disclosure; I shoot the FMJ 300, my wife the 500, and don't have any experience with the dangerous game.

04-Apr-18
I went with the FMJ's based on reviews and several conversation I had with different people.

04-Apr-18
FMJ-DG Stick with the benchmark of shaft manufacturers

04-Apr-18
Does anyone know how thick the aluminum is on a FMJ DG?

04-Apr-18
I also work at a archery pro shop so I get 30% off retail and we sell Easton. Not grizzlystik of course. Anyone ever shot anything from Africa and which do they use id like input ok success with the Easton FMJ dangerous game or grizzlystik.

04-Apr-18

Frenchman's embedded Photo
Frenchman's embedded Photo
used FMJ DG for lots of stuff - still do. The one single complaint - is they bend (soemtimes just a tiny bit)- so you need to check them often! Heavy Arrow - mine reach 550 gr at 28 inches + broadhead. Quiet, heavy hitting, and expensive!

04-Apr-18
Beautiful zebra how much something like that cost?

04-Apr-18
Team FMJ for everyone in my family. I would not consider another arrow.

04-Apr-18
I use a 5mm FMJ out of my Hoyt hyperforce but I see all these people using grizzlystik and getting pass throughs on cape buffalo

04-Apr-18
There was a guy on her a couple years ago who had both. His group size with the FMJ's was half that of the GS arrows. Both are tough and heavy.

04-Apr-18
Another vote for FMJs.

04-Apr-18
I too had very poor results with the Grizzlysticks. I currently shoot FMJ's and would not hesitate to use them for dangerous game. A very tough arrow, and I think the aluminum outside might increase the penetration (but that's just my opinion).

TMBB

04-Apr-18
How many people have bent a FMJ? From shooting an animal or some other way? Falling perhaps? I’ve always liked the idea of them but have heard stories of people falling and bending a quiver full. Wives tale?

04-Apr-18
I've been using them since they came out on the market. I've fallen on steep slopes and they've never bent. Also shot numerous animals with same arrow with no bending. A lot of them were elk and I have no complaints. IMO there pretty tough.

04-Apr-18
Are the newer Grizzly Sticks still a very large diameter like the older ones?

04-Apr-18
I've had FMJ's bend when animals fell on them- but then again, what was their purpose?

04-Apr-18
Used both. Toss the Griz Sticks. Customer service was hideous with GS too. FMJs by far.

05-Apr-18
I never had FMJs bend. I had them break thou. I’ve found all carbon shafts to be tougher thou

05-Apr-18
I tried the GrizzlyStik’s several years ago and hated them. Never hunted with them. When I tested them, the spine variance between arrows was wild, and every arrow seemed to have a very stiff and very weak spot. Tried the Ashby heads from Alaska Bowhunting Supply as well and found them to be garbage. Bent easily and the blades and tip would chip easily. Broke a couple while just shooting targets and broke one completely in half while shooting at a groundhog. Granted, I hit a rock but I’ve hit rocks with other broadheads never had them bend or break. I called ABS and they said they had a couple of bad batches of broadheads. Couldn’t get my money back because I’d shot them already. I’d hate to be on a Cape Buffalo or Hippo hunt and find out the broadheads I just paid $30 a piece for were from a “bad batch”.

I currently shoot Carbon Express Piledriver 450’s with a 100 grain brass insert and 150 grain Vantage Point Archery Broadhead. Have since 2012 and have killed a pile of stuff with them with no failures.

Depending on what you’re hunting, you may want to go heavier in the point that 150-200 grains total with the broadhead and insert. My bow setup is very similar to yours.

05-Apr-18
I have used Grizzly Sticks for years and absolutely love everything about them except the prices. However, I shoot recurves and longbows.

05-Apr-18
For my Buff Hunt, I used a very heavy carbon arrow from an Australian company called Widowmaker arrows... toughest arrows I've used!

05-Apr-18
After watching Masters of the Barebow, I looked into Grizzly Sticks. The price and the negative reviews quickly turned me away.

05-Apr-18
I think pile driver extremes might solve the spine inconsistencies of the grizzystisks and the bending of the fmj.

05-Apr-18
My personal opinion is that arrows are like vodka. Many people think they can taste the difference in brands.

05-Apr-18
I've bent a couple fmjs. They went through both shoulders blades of the deer i shot with them. Pass throughs and stuck in the dirt. They bent, but not till after they did their job.

05-Apr-18
I traded for a dozen GS's 5 or so years ago. Shot them for about 4 days and traded them. I couldn't get the wobble out of about half of them. Junk as far as I'm concerned. So, for me it'd be the FMJ DG's.

07-Apr-18
FMJ's, I've been using them since they came out, also never had one bend, had a few break tho, all hanging out of animals, far side leg busts them in half

07-Apr-18
So what good product does Alaska Bowhunters sell?

Reports they bought the Silver Flames and had them made from cheap steel.....lots of reports the Aboyer heads are brittle...and their shafts are poor [hopefully improved now that Victory is making them]

Holy smokes...Alaska Bowhunters Supply has some work to do.

07-Apr-18
If I was going back to a tapered shaft, I'd use the Arrow Dynamics Nitro Strings. A lot better quality then the Grizzly Stiks, even now that Victory is making them for Grizzly Stik. The Grizzly Stiks of yesteryear left a lot of folks with a bad outlook on them. Because of how stiff they are, they require a lot of weight up front to weaken the spine, and that's the reason they preach hfoc arrows!! Try spinning them out of a lite 52# recurve!! AD's are a lot better shaft, and half the money...

07-Apr-18
I don't know why AD doesn't sell more arrows than they do. I found they shot fixed heads better than most shafts, back when...I still have some, but don't have a bow dedicated to them currently.

10-Apr-18
Decided to go with a Easton FMJ dangerous game for my 2019 safari. total arrow weight is 715 out of my hoyt nitrum turbo 80lb. Now you may wonder why I need to shoot 80 lb to kill a wildebeest, zebra, impala, warthog and blesbok. Simple answer, because I can. I have a 27” draw length 26.5 in some bows!

11-Apr-18
I have had FMJ's bend after hard impacts. With that in mind I think they are quality, more repeatably durable carbon arrows for light game like deer (I'm shooting Gold Tip Kinetics now) but if I was worried about one-shot durability than I would definitely shoot the FMJ's.

25-Jan-19
I have used FMJs for a while. They have bent slightly when hitting an object that you would expect some damage. At first this bothered me. But I have also had damaged carbon shafts that did not show the damage very easily. Damaged Carbon can be very dangerous, so I have since decided I would rather have a damaged FMJ. As for the Grizzley Sticks, I also wasn’t impressed with the spine or weight consistency. They since have changed to tapered shaft, and supposedly more consistent. I have a 2 arrow GStest pack coming and will give them another testing. The reason I’m willing to try the new ones is they can be ordered at heavy weight. My test pack is at 750 grains before the 250 iron will Broadhead is installed. For an round number of 1000 grains. I Will run it all through mill in the next week.

25-Jan-19
I have been experimenting with heavy arrow construction for upcoming buff hunt. I love the new victory xtorsion shaft with ethics archery stainless steel insert/outsert and sleeve. can easily get a 800-900 grain arrow depending on broadhead weight. I will use either german kinetic or iron will at 175 or 200 grains

25-Jan-19
As said above the customer service for GS is horrible. The receptionist gal just couldn’t understand what I was asking for. She finally got frustrated with me and actually blacklisted me. WTH. Turns out to be a good thing. AVOID!

25-Jan-19
I also found solid carbon rod that fits perfectly inside a .204 ID shaft like the xtorsion. you can put various length rod inside shaft to play with FOC and arrow weight. 900 to 1000 grains plus doable with the carbon rod.

25-Jan-19
My guide recommended grizzlystick arrows and their maasai broadhead for brown bear. Now I may have to try the Eastons after all the negative comments

25-Jan-19
I have been really happy with my fmj's and vpa heads for heavy arrows. full pass through on a bison at 40yds.

26-Jan-19
I am trying various configurations with the FMJ 250s. 250 head, two 75 grain brass inserts and adding weight tubes sold at 3 rivers archery. at 8 grains per inch. The weight tubes are 9/32 and fit inside the 5mm 250s. The tubes are easily cut to what ever weight is needed. Trying to get the best combo of Arrow flight and momentum measurements. At approx 950-1000 grains.

26-Jan-19
What is the advantage of a carbon aluminum vs an all carbon or all aluminum shaft

27-Jan-19
I have 23 FMJ 250's and 1 dozen AXIS 250's if anyone is interested. Cut, fletched with Inserts. Also have a dozen 2 blade 200 grain VPA's All Like New. PM me if you want details, I'll make you a smoking deal!

27-Jan-19
Guys...been shooting FMJ out of my recurves and longbows for years...if you're worried about bending, just add a 3/4" footing from an aluminum arrow...stops mushrooming, and bending....great shaft!

27-Jan-19
I have not used FMJ shafts. I did use Grizzly stix in Africa in 14. They were over priced junk, and I’m being kind.

29-Jan-19
I have a Cape Buffalo hunt planned for April and ordered a 2-pack test kit from GrizzlyStik yesterday. Then today I found this thread on Bowsite - got me a little nervous. I was going to default the GS with the 315 Ashby, just going off the large number of buff they have killed with that setup. Would love to hear from anyone who has specifically used them (GS shafts and/or Ashby heads) on Cape Buffalo.

30-Jan-19
The TDT by victory are good arrows. They will require nock tuning the arrows before tuning. As far as the head. I would go with the new Alaskan. It replaced the nanook.

30-Jan-19
I would not trust a forged head or ABS.

30-Jan-19
I wouldn't spend any more money on GS. I'll shoot any arrow before GS.

30-Jan-19
I agree, read my post on Broadheads for Cape buffalo I posted yesterday. I discuss my thoughts on the Iron Will Buff 250s after shooting them.

30-Jan-19
I will happily give $10 each for all of you who would like to get rid of your Grizzly Sticks. I pay shipping. PM's welcome

31-Jan-19
loprofile... For another $2.50 each, I will sell you an FMJ 250, as long as you buy the Dozen! New and a way better arrow!

31-Jan-19
I want in on this $10 each for GS heads. Now I’m picky. I’m looking for nanooks

Thanks

Eric

31-Jan-19
Dale, I read your comments on the other thread and the multiple problems your group had with the Alaska Bowhunter supply stuff, wow

.....I doubt a call from them to join their pro staff is in your future!

31-Jan-19
I can't speak to their arrows, never used them, but I absolutely love their massai heads. I just spoke with them the other day, ordering some more heads, because there was a glitch on the website. The woman was very helpful and cheerful while we spoke. Just my experience with the company.

31-Jan-19
There is no better hunting arrow than the FMJ.

• Sitka Gear