COHOYTHUNTER 06-Apr-18
Pyrannah 06-Apr-18
WapitiBob 06-Apr-18
Pyrannah 06-Apr-18
Mule Power 07-Apr-18
Pyrannah 07-Apr-18
COHOYTHUNTER 07-Apr-18
05-Apr-18
Im currently leaning hard towards units 89/90 from 9/8 through 9/22. I see MD rifle comes in 9/15.

How have your experiences been with the rifle hunters? Do they tend to screw up your elk hunts? I thought about considering the first two weeks of september but would prefer later in the year.

Would love to hear any and all information.. This is my first DIY elk hunt, so trying to figure this all out in short order...

Thanks so much!

05-Apr-18
Most of the deer hunters will be above you. Yes, there is increased activity but I've really not found it too disruptive for elk hunting.

05-Apr-18
If you can figure out the search function, there are several good threads on this very topic - one just a couple weeks ago.

05-Apr-18
The deer hunters tend to stay up high BUT, I've ran into residents that were hunting both so there is definitely more pressure after the rifle season opens in my experience. I typically have to go deeper after the gun season opens. Lots more horse traffic near the access points and if they are packing a bow, their deer hunt may turn into an elk hunt if they hear some bugling.

05-Apr-18
My experiences have been closer to Ron's. They are 1000-1500' above me. In fact they have provided me good intel, apparently I don't look like much of a threat to the elk population! TH's can look like Walmart parking lot, but don't let that stop you.

06-Apr-18
thanks guys, what weeks would you recommend?

I have heard reports of grizz potentially in that area, but not likely. Has that been your experiences?

06-Apr-18
Well, some will tell you that they haven't seen a grizz there, so there aren't any. I've hunted relatively close to where one of the maulings happened in MT, and didn't see a grizz, so I guess there aren't any there either? Your odds of seeing a grizz will be slim, but there have been reports and confirmation from G&F of a few bears on the east side of the WY Range. The largest effect that muley hunters will likely have is in your head. Having said that, on opening day and especially opening weekend, the place may look like a circus, depending on exactly where you hunt. Plenty will just glass from the road or a main trail though.

06-Apr-18
Is orange required once rifle is open?

06-Apr-18
For archers, no. But I carried orange if I had to pack out a critter.

RE: Griz. I didn't see any but standard griz awareness applies. (Bear spray/protection, how to handle kill sites, food storage etc)

06-Apr-18
"Is orange required once rifle is open?"

Normally Brian is spot-on, but just this once...lol! All persons are required to wear the required florescent orange while hunting big or trophy game during an open firearm season. Florescent orange is legal.

06-Apr-18
What your saying is misleading Rob, in that I believe he is just wanting to hunt elk during the open mule deer rifle season. In this case, NO orange is required to hunt during the special archery season for elk. Archers in special archer seasons (not during the general season) are exempt from orange requirements, even if there is another species open for rifle.

06-Apr-18
All righty Rob! LOL! Normally you are the one stop shopping on WYO (WapitiBob on WYO Draw), but,,,,,,,,,, here is the language from 2017 regs.

"Clothing Requirements; Hunters Required to Wear Fluorescent Orange Clothing. All persons hunting big or trophy game during an open firearm season, shall wear in a visible manner one (1) or more exterior garments of a fluorescent orange color that shall include at least one of the following: a hat, shirt, jacket, coat, vest or sweater. Fluorescent orange camouflage is legal. Hunters participating in limited quota muzzle-loading seasons are also required to meet the fluorescent orange requirements. Archers and crossbow hunters hunting during a special archery season or limited quota archery only Type 9 season are exempt from this requirement."

In a nutshell, if you are bowhunting during an archery season, you don't need to wear orange. If you choose to use your bow during a firearms season, you must wear orange. (At least that is how I read it)

EDIT: Looks like Franzen and I were typing at same time.

06-Apr-18

Pyrannah's embedded Photo
Pyrannah's embedded Photo
Hmmm

Not sure, I read it as if you are hunting (regardless of weapon) during a rifle season, you must wear orange.. here is a snip from the FAQ page

06-Apr-18
It's definitely not required in this case.

06-Apr-18
In Wyoming, you are only required to wear one piece of orange (ie a hat OR vest) if it were me, I'd wear a orange beanie in the morning and a ball camp as it warms up and that's it, you never know what dummy with a bang stick might shoot you as your calling in a bull..

06-Apr-18
Yep, my bad (sorry Brian)! In my attempt to clarify a misunderstanding, I instead created one.

Years ago, we had G&F at our local archery club and this exact question came up. We were told that the clothing requirement had to be complied with in this situation. When I saw Brian’s post, I thought I’d call and see if things had changed. I was told nope, it’s still required.

After reading some of the other posts, I called back and asked to talk to someone in the enforcement department, which in hindsight I should have done from the get-go. Needless to say, I found out that things had indeed changed. My apologies for the confusion!

06-Apr-18
It's all good Rob. You are still one of the guys I lean upon! Maybe we will even get to hunt together one of these years! (I will be the guy w/o orange. LOL!)

06-Apr-18
Thanks everyone!!!

Thanks for the pms too

I’ll be in touch

06-Apr-18
What dates would you recommend?

06-Apr-18
I'd go right when you planned if it were me. Two full weeks in the middle of September ought to put you in the "for sure" bugling window if that is what you want. I've had good bugling and conditions at the beginning and end of your dates. Of course they could also be silent for the majority of the season, depending on conditions.

06-Apr-18
Also sort of kicking around hunting these west units for a week then hitting up 13 or something like that for the second week as rifle comes in for 89/90

Kind of a stupid thought and waste of time or worth while pursuing?

06-Apr-18
Pyrannah, did you get my last PM? Stay in that area.. !

06-Apr-18
Just read it!!

06-Apr-18
And Butterflies as well as all insects have 6 legs.

06-Apr-18
Now that’s solid

07-Apr-18
Many of the local gun hunters don’t even wear orange. If you see a griz let me know and I’ll pay all of your expenses. Griz in 89/90? Pfft

07-Apr-18
Well It’s a lot of expenses this year with new to me gear for this first trip lol!!!

07-Apr-18
Most grizzly are North of the snake river north of hobac junction

• Sitka Gear