Topgun 30-06 06-Apr-18
midwest 06-Apr-18
t-roy 06-Apr-18
Jaquomo 06-Apr-18
Tonybear61 07-Apr-18
Tonybear61 07-Apr-18
Tonybear61 07-Apr-18
05-Apr-18
i started bow hunting turkeys really hard about 6 -7 years ago. I hunt 90% of the time in MS. here we have 120 day deer season - and 50 day turkey season. our game is spooky almost all the time. I got serious about it, and i killed some birds, but I was having a hard time getting turkeys to naturally commit to my set ups.

i hunted other states, MO, KS, OK, KY - and i would have unbelievable success! many times tagging out in just a few hunts and killing birds right at my blinds.

at home i still would continue to struggle to kill turkeys with my bow at close ranges. so a few years ago i worked on figuring it out

Often times i would hang trail cameras on my blinds, and get pictures of Gobblers right in front of my brushed in blinds, but when i would hunt - they would not commit to my decoys, many times getting within 40-50 yds then ease off. I knew it was not my calling, i have called way to many turkeys in to doubt that i sound like a turkey. so, i took a look at my decoys, and bought the best decoys - Avian X - an entire flock. Still the same luck getting turkeys to finish into my setups.

Then the game changer - a jerk string. i added a loop of string to my strutter decoy and the first time i used it - i shot a turkey that i have been fooling with for a while at 10 yds. my decoy looked like a turkey, sounded like a turkey, and ACTED like a turkey. *GAME CHANGER*

since then i have been able to consistently get birds to commit to my set ups and get under 10 yd shots.

i use a remote motion stake where its legal, and i have another homemade stake that i use where electronics are not allowed.

this year - get that strutter moving, and i promise you will not be disappointed.

05-Apr-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
I had the same results when I attached two strings, one for and one aft, on the strutter tom and then back to the blind 15 yards away. I was able to turn the decoy 180 degrees.

Movement help some time. BUT, since that time, I purchased a less aggressive jake decoy, placed it over a bedded hen and have had some good action without any movement. I agree, having a Plan A and Plan B is good and will surely increase ones success.

06-Apr-18
I got one of those wobbler gizmos a decoy sets on with a string attached.looks like a mushroom anchor.I can't figer if it out.just more stuff to carry.I'll need a bigger vest.

06-Apr-18
I got one of those wobbler gizmos a decoy sets on with a string attached.looks like a mushroom anchor.I can't figer if it out.just more stuff to carry.I'll need a bigger vest.

06-Apr-18
MI doesn't allow anything to move a decoy other than natural wind!

06-Apr-18

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Maybe try Robo Turkey!

06-Apr-18
Not legal in wilderness areas, Nick ;-)

06-Apr-18
Wonder if you could put a little cart on the back of that thing and "ride" it up to shoot a Tom? :-O

07-Apr-18

Tonybear61's embedded Photo
Just a little closer...
Just a little closer...
I enhanced a Chicken on a stick decoy with some wing feathers, plus metallic nail polish from my daughter. Toms can't resist the set-up last 3-4 years.

07-Apr-18

Winged decoy
Winged decoy
Sorry wrong pic, didn't have the wings on that day but it worked anyway. The wing feathers fit really good in the fan feather pieces you get with the kit. Cut them in half, add wing feathers and wing nuts to attach. I can put these on in the dark, just don't drop the wing nuts...

07-Apr-18

Winged decoy
Winged decoy
Sorry wrong pic, didn't have the wings on that day but it worked anyway. The wing feathers fit really good in the fan feather pieces you get with the kit. Cut them in half, add wing feathers and wing nuts to attach. I can put these on in the dark, just don't drop the wing nuts...

• Sitka Gear