Shawn 06-Apr-18
Nick Muche 06-Apr-18
Native Okie 06-Apr-18
Stubbleduck 06-Apr-18
LKH 07-Apr-18
thehairlessone 08-Apr-18
JL 08-Apr-18
06-Apr-18
Hello everyone, I’m being transferred to Wichita Kansas And will soon be changing my address. I’m curious what the requirements are for a Kansas resident? I need to know if I need to apply as a nonresident or not.

06-Apr-18
Off the cuff, if your not military I bet it’s 6 months. You can probably look at the regulations or call the Pratt office to find out.

06-Apr-18
Most states are 6 months or more at your new address before you are considered a resident.

Contact F & G and make sure before you purchase. Don't listen to a bunch of us on the internet. Don't want to get jammed up by purchasing the wrong license.

06-Apr-18

kscowboy's Link
Any resident of Kansas not qualified as a landowner/tenant. Any person who has maintained the person's place of permanent abode in this state for a period of 60 days immediately preceding the person's application for any license, permit, stamp or other issue of the department. Domiciliary intent is required to establish that a person is maintaining the person's place of permanent abode in this state. Mere ownership of property is not sufficient to establish domiciliary intent. Evidence of domiciliary intent includes, without limitation, the location where the person votes, pays personal income taxes or obtains a driver's license.

Members of the armed services on active duty who were Kansas residents at the time of entering the service, and immediate family members living with them, are considered to be residents. Members of the armed services on active duty and officially stationed in Kansas may purchase resident licenses and permits, except for lifetime licenses.

06-Apr-18
Thanks guys I’ll double check but appreciate the info...definitely don’t want to get in trouble!

Looks like I’ll need to apply for the draw this year

06-Apr-18
When are you moving? Once you get your 60 days in, walk into any vendor and get your permit OTC. No need to apply now, if you are moving over the summer. I applied in CO as a NR while in the process of moving there but obviously did not meet their 6 month residency requirement. Luckily, I had my 6 months in by the time 3rd season elk rolled around. I went to the CDOW office with my CO DL and other documentation to prove my 6 months in CO and bought my OTC unit license without any issues.

06-Apr-18
If you’re in Wichita by July 17 and change your address, register to vote, and pick up a KS drivers license you can legally walk into a vendor the day before opening day and buy your license/tag. Just don’t go back to hunt Oklahoma as a resident. States aren’t very kind with double dipping.

06-Apr-18
He would be fine here in Oklahoma if he has the Lifetime License.

06-Apr-18
Question, if he becomes a legal Kansas resident and buys a lifetime Kansas hunting license and moves again say next year, Is his Kansas lifetime license still good? I had a guy who stayed in the same motel as I did and he lived in Kansas about 10 years and bought a lifetime license. He moved to Colorado and said he comes back every year and hunts Kansas. Thanks! Shawn

06-Apr-18
Good to know Okie. I almost added that but wasn’t aware Oklahoma had one... Shawn, yes. However it is 365 days before you’re eligible for a Lifetime. Not the 60 for residency status. And you have to show “domicilary intent” to remain a resident. I think it’s gotten harder to simply move for a year, grab a Lifetime and take off. The state really wants to believe you’ll be in Kansas for a while before issuing from my understanding.

06-Apr-18
I can see why, that is why I asked. It would be nice to do that in Iowa as well! Shawn

06-Apr-18
You're going to love that area, have fun and enjoy it! Lots of great hunting to be had.

06-Apr-18
What’s great about OK is that lifetime covers your annual tags as well. I can go back to OK anytime and shoot 6 deer, 2 turkeys as a resident for no additional cost.

06-Apr-18
I bought a Kansas Lifetime License in 1986 not long after they came into existence. I left Kansas in 1988. I've been back to hunt nearly every year since. Best $200 I ever spent. At the time $200 seemed a bit steep but it sure looks cheap from this end of the time frame, $6.66 a year and falling. Of course the other major value is buying resident tags OTC for deer and turkey.

07-Apr-18
Be sure to do something dated and official as soon as you get there. It may be necessary to have a provable start date.

08-Apr-18
if you move to kansas buy the lifetime. I quit hunting for a few years and didnt buy one and now I am kicking myself. Now I think it's $500 for 1 year with tag as non-resident

rick

08-Apr-18
In 2010 I got a Florida lifetime sportsman license while I was still active duty, stationed in Maryland yet still a Florida res. It covers just about everything fishing and hunting. It was a $1000 but worth every penny IMO. Even though I live in another state now as a res, it is still good in Florida. We snowbird here and it has paid for itself already if I had to pay NR costs.

• Sitka Gear