Dino 09-Apr-18
Yellowjacket 09-Apr-18
rodb 09-Apr-18
midwest 09-Apr-18
Ermine 09-Apr-18
Ermine 10-Apr-18
TD 10-Apr-18
08-Apr-18
Do you prefer wrist strap finger trigger or hand held thumb activated and why.

08-Apr-18
Maybe

08-Apr-18
Neither, I shoot a pure back tension all the time. I don’t do well with triggers!

08-Apr-18
Winn free flight I consider it sort of a hybrid. I use my middle finger to trigger. I had to see what the thumb releases were about and tried a couple high dollar models, but went back to old reliable. Just couldn't get as dialed in. I think it mostly had to do with the anchor point being instinctual at this point. I couldn't get my anchor right with thumb release wearing heavy layers. I despise wrist strap releases, need to grab onto something while drawing.

08-Apr-18
I'm using a Scott wrist strap with finger trigger. Shot my compounds with fingers until about 8 years ago. Switched to a release with immediate improvement. Actually at age 71 shooting better than ever. Haven't tried the others and don't see a reason to now.

08-Apr-18
I like the Spot Hogg Keeton. It works very well for me.

08-Apr-18
Handheld thumb activated seems to work better for me. In a hunting situation, I can clip it to my loop or store it in my pocket leaving my hand free to do other stuff until the shot. At the time of the shot, I am just more accurate with it, I don't have the tendency to jerk the trigger like I do with a wrist strap finger trigger.

08-Apr-18
Thats a great question, Bou. For me, depends on what im shootin at. I like a wrist strap finger trigger release if im shooting at a downward angle out of a treestand. I prefer a 4 finger/thumb style release if im shooting at an upward angle, say at something up in a tree like a mountain lion...

08-Apr-18
4 finger Thumb/TruBall Boss X... less chance of punching it for me.. I quit using wrist strap styles about 10 years back..... I am way more accurate than I ever have been in using it ... for hunting, I clip it on the loop and my hands are free ....

08-Apr-18
Carter Ember 1 with three fingers. Haven't hunted with a wrist strap in a long time. I seem to get better groups with a thumb style release. I have a string lanyard so I don't have worry about losing it.

09-Apr-18
Only ever used wrist strap finger

09-Apr-18
Neither for me either. I prefer a hinge release.

09-Apr-18
I switch back and forth between handhelds and wrist straps . If I could keep from punching I would only hunt with a wrist strap and hook release. Alas I get punchy.

09-Apr-18
I use a tru fire finger release. Messed around with a hinge release recently and really liked it, but can’t justify dropped $150-$200 on one right now.

09-Apr-18
I just switched to a Carter Like Mike, index finger release. I really like that there is zero trigger creep and I can set the tension as high as 5#'s. I'm using back tension to shoot it instead of squeezing the trigger.

09-Apr-18
Scott wrist strap caliper that I trigger with my middle finger. This winter I got a Carter Evolution and am practicing with it. I have no intentions to hunt with it, but I like the way the hand held feels at anchor.

09-Apr-18
Both my wife and I use Carter 4 finger thumb release. Most convenient for all types of hunting.

09-Apr-18
I'm a creature of habit. Believe it or not, I'm using the same Truefire wrist strap that I started with well over 20 years ago. ;-)

09-Apr-18
I got a few of each type of release, I get a little punchy with the thumb release, I practice with a hinge style backtension and hunt with a index trigger release. Gunna put away the ice fishing gear and dust the bows off soon

09-Apr-18
3 finger Too Simple. There is only a small minority of people that can actually shoot a index finger release without punching, I am not one of them.

09-Apr-18
Elk Inzer, like you I use my middle finger as my trigger finger. I find that laying my index finger on top of the caliper block helps me keep from punching for some reason. Started using my middle finger when I was a teen and had issues punching the trigger, and have just done it that way ever since

09-Apr-18
I used my middle finger when I was a teen too...............................and had issues! Oh wait, we're talking about releases................................................... ;-)

09-Apr-18
I found myself getting really punchy wirh my index finger realease this year. I was totally falling apart shooting game. I bought a thumb release to try and after a little learning curve I think I’m probably gonna be a convert. My biggest fear is loosing it in a hunting situation. Not at all in a treestand/blind, but when up and down the hills and mountains I can see it getting misplaced/lost when I REALLY need it. But I’ll just have to work through that phobia ;)

—jim

09-Apr-18
Go back and forth between 3 different hinges and a Carter Lucky. Feel much better with the hinge but trying to build back confidence with ANY trigger.

09-Apr-18
I use both. I guess my personal preference is to hunt with a hand-held. They fit out of the way in your pocket(I carry two). For league target shooting I use a wrist strap because they are a little easier to draw for me. I am lucky not to have TP issues however.

09-Apr-18
Been using a Carter RX2 since they came out with them. Love it. Have it set so it lays in the palm of my hand. I shoot it with back tension. The trigger sets in the middle knuckle of my trigger finger.

09-Apr-18
After a terrible bought of target panic, I now train with a tension activated release, and hunt with it or a thumb button that clips on to the string. Silverback and Nock 2it.

09-Apr-18
Neither. I shoot a Stan Element pull through

09-Apr-18
Switched to back tension release last year and will never go back. Solved my biggest problem shooting with it. Was ready to hang it up after 50 years of shooting but now maybe I can sneak in a few more years.

09-Apr-18

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
I developed a bad relapse of TP last year. I'm working through it.

09-Apr-18
Carter lucky

10-Apr-18
Carter lucky

10-Apr-18
Never mind.... this one was so teed up it was harder to lay off of than a hanging curve.....

• Sitka Gear