1boonr 14-Apr-18
Bowone1 14-Apr-18
Woods Walker 14-Apr-18
1boonr 15-Apr-18
Thornton 15-Apr-18
09-Apr-18
No question, yes!

09-Apr-18
Yes, but much less if you will manage your wind WITH OZONICS ! Hog and coyote noses don't lie !

09-Apr-18
Forget the wind.....just HECS

I think that’s how the add goes.

09-Apr-18
In some of the better blinds, no. Even if the wind is from you to the deer. Well, elk as that has been my experience and elk have great sense of smell. I used the wind powder detector and the powder didn't leave the blind.

The problem, however, is that most blinds aren't made with scent retention in mind. They try to be everything for everyone, meaning they have windows everywhere and most of this is totally unnecessary.

Primos (for example) would have a great blind if they eliminated all the back and side windows and had a larger floor lap around the base. All I want is a 180 degree adjustable front and slightly to the sides window. I even wrote Primos explaining why this would be a superior bowhunting blind. Of course, no reply...even though they say they welcome ideas and suggestions...

09-Apr-18
Nose Jammer on something inside, and outside on the downwind side.

09-Apr-18
I've had bucks close enough to spit on with a cheap Walmart ground blind and the wind right.

09-Apr-18
yes

09-Apr-18
Is this a trick question???

The thread question should only be 4 words......Can Deer Scent You?

YES!!!!

10-Apr-18
The question is not phrased very well. Of course some deer can scent you under certain conditions. So strictly speaking the answer is yes. Practically speaking under practical hunting conditions certain blinds can contain the scent well enough so deer often would not scent you. Hence, my "no" reply.

10-Apr-18
On the way home from coaching yesterday, I checked out a cut. There were several deer in it pawing in the snow. I was about 200 yards away and they had no clue I was there until the wind hit my back and every head went up. I always play the wind, and if I used a tent, I would still play the wind. Their sense of smell is pretty incredible.

10-Apr-18
If you can breathe while sitting in your blind then you have air flow. If air flows in, it also flows out carrying your scent with it. Pretty basic.

10-Apr-18
A dog can smell weed vacuum packed and buried in a bunch of stinky clothes. While deer aren't dogs their sense of smell is terrific and I think they can smell you inside almost any structure.

Tried to sneak under a herd of about 300 elk spread out on a long slope from about 1/3 to a full mile away. They were both bedded and feeding. Light wind towards them and you could follow the movement of our scent as the heads started coming up. They slowly got up and moved over the ridge while looking back for us.

10-Apr-18
Yes,but if you have cinder blocked blind with concrete poured inside them and airtight double pane Pella windows (properly caulked it a must) that are never opened and a tunnel from your home to this Blind then No they cannot scent you.

10-Apr-18
True story. We have a couple of rifle blinds that are plywood and have plexiglass windows. When it is totally shut including ALL windows, I have had some success with deer not smelling me downwind. Had a friend come from out of state and I had been seeing a big buck come from a certain area consistently. When he hunted that blind, the wind was blowing in that direction so he closed all the windows. However it was sunny and 85 degrees that day! He started stripping clothes off as he sweated and by the time the buck came out and he shot him, he was down to his briefs!

10-Apr-18
A few years ago I had some Mule Deer does brush up against the blind while feeding, on multiple sides. I did spray the inside & outside with Scent Killer, about 3-4 days prior when I set it up. I vote NO.

10-Apr-18
I always spray the outside of my blind wth the same spray I use on my clothes in the morning, seems to have worked for me lately.

10-Apr-18
Let me answer this by asking you a question.

Would you feel safe from skunk smell inside a blind if one sprayed the outside of the blind?

10-Apr-18
X-man: just like at our house we only use a curtain instead of a bathroom door...you know, to contain the smell LOL

10-Apr-18
LKH, deer have a much better sense of smell than dogs. Actually it may be as much as 7 to 10 times better. I know folks bust on Ozonics, but its application in a ground blind is where it really does work. I do not own one but I know the science behind them and I use an ozone machine to destroy odors on y clothes, in my house and in my trucks and car. To the OP yes they can still smell you but the blind definitely helps contain your scent. Shawn

10-Apr-18
NO, They can't... Ever, no matter what.

10-Apr-18
This winter I hunted from a blind in Mexico over water and bait. I had dozens of deer within 15 yds. of me often downwind over several days and not one smelled me, including several nice 4x4s. I zipped up all rear and side windows and pushed dirt around all the edges of the blind's bottom sides to reduce/eliminate air flow as much as possible.

I assume others here are speaking from experience, but this and similar with elk have been my experience. I know the right blind can really contain scent very effectively and it's too bad almost all blinds have so many unnecessary windows. The one improvement is recent years is that many blinds now have bottom edge flaps that help eliminate air flow around the bottom of the blind.

10-Apr-18
Nope, and no one ever smells a fart until someone takes their pants off.

10-Apr-18
Probably the wrong question, "How much scent does it take in a particular situation for deer to react to the scent?" They have an incredible sense of smell similar to police dogs (which take no time at all to find a hidden drug, weapon , person as they are trained to do).

Its variable some eek out with the slightest breeze whereas others you would be surprised what you can get away with. Best practice hunt the wind as most of the scent comes from your breath, even if in a charcoal suit unless you are using a charcoal, alumina exhaust filter on a SCBA, they will smell you. The ozone that needs to be generated to destroy all your smell would be toxic in the breathing zone. You would be coughing so much they would be alerted to you any way. That's basic chemistry and animal physciology..

10-Apr-18
Just read this, it has been proven dogs can detect lung cancer by just smelling the breath of an individual and they are accurate 90% of the time, also they have been known to detect scent from a finger print seven days after it was left on an object. Now imagine this, a deers sense of smell is believed to be 30% better then any dogs. Shawn

10-Apr-18
Did not know deer had better scenting ability than dogs. Deer do not always react negatively to human scent. I was using my hax to bread dry limbs off in northern MN once and when I got up in the tree I then watched a 2 year old buck sniff my footprints as he searched for me. One step, sniff and look all over, then repeat.

Of course where I was there's a good chance he had never seen a human.

10-Apr-18
My dog can smell Nose Jammer and she really likes it. She thinks I'm going to feed her a bite of raisin cinnamon bun.

10-Apr-18
Oh, just wear Scent Lok and forget the wind and just hunt!

And if you like your doctor/health plan you can keep your doctor/health plan......

10-Apr-18
Jaquomo. Okay I know I'm old and slow but I'm not stopped. Even so, I did not get that one.

10-Apr-18
It's potentially hazardous to your health to put an ozonics inside a ground blind with you.

10-Apr-18
Oh, what do you know. You're just a physician.......... ;-)

10-Apr-18
Larry, point is that deer smell the nose Jammer too, with their superior sense of smell, but for some reason it seems to calm them while still smelling human.

11-Apr-18
No. If you are chewing on the un scented Tide pods.

11-Apr-18
yes

13-Apr-18
if you don't breath, fart, sweat, are bald, and have stinky feet, no they can't smell you.

13-Apr-18
You forgot cellular regeneration also scentman.

13-Apr-18
I'll have to google that one Woods ;0)

13-Apr-18
Yes

The ones that don’t spook just don’t care. They still smell you

13-Apr-18
Jaquamo, My understanding of the jammer is that, the smell is so intense, it ‘jams’ up their incredibly sensitive glands. Kinda like after we smell 5 perfumes the 6th is almost impossible to distinguish

13-Apr-18
I've heard this a few times but haven't experienced it myself, but it makes sense when thinking about thermals. If the temp is warmer inside the blind than out and there's not much of a breeze, the warm air escaping the blind will go up instead of laterally giving you some help avoiding the deer's noses.

13-Apr-18
Yes they can. I still can't believe Ozonics is still in business either. Scam

13-Apr-18

Woods Walker's Link
Here you go scentman......We are CONSTANTLY shedding skin cells, and they go right into the air.

"If you're wondering exactly how many skin cells fall off, get ready for some staggering numbers. Scientists estimate that the human body is made up of around 10 trillion cells in total. Your skin makes up about 16 percent of your body weight, which means you have roughly 1.6 trillion skin cells [source: BBC]. Of course, this estimate can vary tremendously according to a person's size. The important thing is that you have a lot of skin cells. Of those billions of skin cells, between 30,000 and 40,000 of them fall off every hour. Over a 24-hour period, you lose almost a million skin cells [source: Boston Globe]."

"Where do they all go? The dust that collects on your tables, TV, windowsills and on those picture frames that are so hard to get clean is made mostly from dead human skin cells. In other words, your house is filled with former bits of yourself. In one year, you'll shed more than 8 pounds (3.6 kilograms) of dead skin. It gets even grosser: Your house is also filled with trillions of microscopic life forms called dust mites that eat your old dead skin."

13-Apr-18
Uh thanks i guess there Woods... i just thought bout relaxing on the couch with my shirt off... hope my wife don't get wind of this! Seriously, we had our heating ducts cleaned in Oct. and there was some nasty stuff in the that ole vacum filter! Yea we stink allright!

14-Apr-18
Like Ollie said, Can you breath in the blind? If air can get in then it can get out. A blind (IMO) can cut down on the amount of scent but cannot eliminate it. The best success I have had in a blind is the blinds that I brush in and leave there forever. I ALWAYS leave spent cigarette butts, a worn sock and worn shirt in these blinds and refresh my scent monthly. The deer become very used to this and since the blind never attacks them, they ignore it. I shot my largest buck out of a dirty blind. That is how I do it. No sense in trying to be scent free because it is impossible.

14-Apr-18
Never used nose jammer. If I can ever get myself to sit in a blind I'll have to try it. Bought one of the tall Double Bull blinds years ago. Can't remember the last time I used it.

14-Apr-18
Because there are so many variables in scent control some things appear to work when they probably aren’t doing anything. The only thing that always works is staying downwind.

14-Apr-18
You really have to ask ??

14-Apr-18

Woods Walker's embedded Photo
If it has one of these, then it can smell you.
Woods Walker's embedded Photo
If it has one of these, then it can smell you.

15-Apr-18
Lever- it you consistently shoot large bucks (whatever that means) out of ground blinds you could make a case that the dirty blind works. Because of all the variables in deer hunting even total idiots shoot “large bucks occasionally”.

15-Apr-18
It's all about the atmosphere if you haven't noticed. Just like hunting dogs and scenting conditions, deer can smell you better under certain atmospheres regardless of what product you are wearing to decrease it

• Sitka Gear