Bowriter 12-Apr-18
midwest 12-Apr-18
keith 12-Apr-18
Bowriter 12-Apr-18
Stoneman 12-Apr-18
11-Apr-18

Bowriter's embedded Photo
Lasterday, coming back from town, just about every field in town and on the edge had a gobbulator struttin in it. The powerline, just before my house, had hens, gobblers and some guy trying to call them. When I pulled in the drive, there birds in the yard. So this morning, I'm going fishing. It is 33-degrees but the smallmouth have blasted open on one of the lakes, 15-minutes away. Tomorrow, I am fishing the lake here at the house. The largemouth are hitting and the crappie have moved up. Fri.-Sat, I am combining a fishing trip to a nearby state park with three lakes with the annual conference of the TN Outdoor Writers Assoc. Sooner or later, I may try to work in a turkey hunt.

11-Apr-18
Tough decision for sure.

Last weekend, hunted turkeys for first hour or so, then caught a bucket of white bass. Checked another area for hunting, honked the truck's horn. Got a shock gobble.

Hunted the gobbler for an hour and called him in to 60 yds. He smelled a rat and left the area.

Nearly had a Fin & Feather morning.

11-Apr-18
John is having way to much fun these days! Some guys retire and post season scout from their new jeep and others are Jiggin for perch and huntin gooblers from the porch, that's the life.

11-Apr-18
Redneck Surf-n-turk! ;-)

In PA trout season opens 4/14 and Turkey 4/28. I will trout fish until turkey opens, then hunt the mornings and fish the afternoons. Decision get's tougher mid-May when turkey goes all day. ;-)

11-Apr-18
If I had good fishing like that close to home and tardy turks on private land, I'd go after the fish bite and just take one morning to fill my turkey tag.

11-Apr-18
Our walleyes and bass are cranking right now, as are the trout up at my cabin. But the gobbulators are calling to me. So a couple more days of fishing, then off to birdville in Nebraska.

Nick, being retired isn't all its cracked up to be. Some mornings I get up and am in a terrible quandary over what to do. The decision-making stress can become overwhelming. ;)

11-Apr-18
Yeah, I'm sure the struggle is real, Lou.

....lucky bastards. ;-)

11-Apr-18
Cast and Blast

11-Apr-18
Now you're just RUBBING IT IN, Jaq! ;-)

11-Apr-18

Truth is, it took me a year or two to get use to being retired...if you can call it that. I still write for three newspapers, two weeklies and one daily and four magazines so I am not completely retired. However, my schedule is completely of my own design. I can leave and be gone two weeks at the drop of a hat. Oh, by the way, had nine bass this morning and one blue heron.

11-Apr-18
You retired guys have all the fun. One day shortly I'll be retired.

Midwest, shouldn't you be out running?

11-Apr-18
Yeah....after work. :-(

;-)

12-Apr-18

And then...this morning, until the wind got up, we had a start on some good crappie. Wind at 24 mph is a killer fishing a 1/16-oz jig on four pound line.

12-Apr-18
Yum!

12-Apr-18
Hey Bow, I heard those blue heron taste just like bald eagle. Is that correct?

12-Apr-18

Ode to a Doe.

I'll have a blue heron, how 'bout you? I'll dine alone, eating without you. It's been snowing all night and your heron is white. But'll have a blue, blue heron."

"I'd like to brag but I just can't. Last night, I had roasted cormorant. Tasted just like a fish and oh, how I wish, I'd had a blue blue, heron.

12-Apr-18
"gooblers from the porch, that's the life" I like hunting gooblers no matter where I find them... ha

Bowriter - nice poem~

• Sitka Gear