FlashZ28 04-Jun-18
razorsharp 11-Jul-18
Chief 419 13-Jul-18
Dale06 17-Jul-18
Dale06 18-Jul-18
razorsharp 18-Apr-19
Ollie 18-Apr-19
12-Apr-18
Going on a 7 day safari with limcroma in 2019 using an 80lb Hoyt nitrum turbo, 700grain arrow what Broadhead should I be using it will need to be 125gr. I was thinking the Magnus stinger 2 blade but am open to suggestions.

12-Apr-18
If you aren’t hunting DG I would contend that you are over gunned so to speak. Really no reason to overthink a plains game set up. Anything you use for whitetails is perfectly acceptable. I shoot my bow at 67lb, 28” Arrow Wt 425 and wouldn’t hesitate to shoot anything up to buff with it. Shoot a decent quality broadhead and hit where you are aiming and you will be fine.

—jim

12-Apr-18
VPA three blade

12-Apr-18
Going on a 7 day safari with limcroma in 2019 using an 80lb Hoyt nitrum turbo, 700grain arrow what Broadhead should I be using it will need to be 125gr. I was thinking the Magnus stinger 2 blade but am open to suggestions.

12-Apr-18

12-Apr-18
Didn’t mean for that to type 3 times.

12-Apr-18
What dates and camp...my wife and i will be with them end of May 2019

12-Apr-18
Early June, limcroma South Africa

12-Apr-18
Don’t overthink it. I used 100 Gr. CS Montec’s and had pass throughs on nearly every shot. As usual, it’s all about shot placement. I recommend buying the Dries Visser video, Volume 9 (I think). It has plenty of information on shot placement. The hardest part for me was shooting right at the “shoulder”. The vitals in African plains game sits farther forward than NA game animals. I hunted with Limcroma in 2012. You picked the right safaris outfitter and are in for a great hunt.

12-Apr-18
What JTreeman said. Any whitetail setup will be fine for plains game. Vitals are farther forward on African game, so aim accordingly. I shot kudu, gemsbok, wildebeest, impalas and warthog with a 425 grain arrow and 100 grain shuttle t locks. All were pass throughs.

You definitely picked the right outfit with Limcroma. Top of the line all the way!!! Have a great trip!

12-Apr-18
Still using my 700grain arrow without a doubt lol

12-Apr-18
I would recommend you consider extending to a 10-day hunt. 3 extra days can make a major difference in your success rate, plus give you butt a rest after crossing the pond and allow your body to somewhat adapt to time changes.

I know you are hell bent on 80# bow cause you can, but I respectfully agree with the others who have hunted Africa several times. You are over bowed for plains game.

If you are interested in cape buff which will be available with Limcroma, then I would suggest using the 80# bow and beefing up your arrow weight as you are a tad light.

JMHO

12-Apr-18
I'll be there in September for the second time great place. I shot 64# and use 125 gr. Ramcat, no problems. Shots are close and trackers are good, relax and enjoy, Dale

12-Apr-18
Lots of great advice given. Limcroma is first rate. Hunted with them in 2015 and got to share camp with JW and his crew. I’d also recommend taking a couple of trail cameras with you as well. I got lots of interesting pics of some cool critters.

13-Apr-18
I do not believe that I am over bowed. The bow fits me perfect and i have no problem pulling 80. I would rather be over bowed than under bowed. My whole reasoning I am using a 700grain arrow(it’s 670 I just rounded up) is to get full pass throughs on everything I shoot. Shooting a 480-500gr FMJ on hogs making heart and lung shots I wasn’t getting full pass throughs at 70lbs. You also have to remember I have such a short draw length.

13-Apr-18
I think they meant you are over bowed for the animals, not over bowed for yourself.

13-Apr-18
Hoytbowhunter,

If the set-up you intend to use has the arrows flying well, and you are smashing the bulls eye out to 40 yards, then by all means hunt with it on your safari. I always recommend a heavier arrow over a lighter one. You can never have too much penetration.... I think most of the other hunters offering advice are simply saying that it is not necessary to go out and buy heavy bow set-up just for Africa. Most set-ups that perform well on medium to large North American game will also perform well on similarly sized African plainsgame. There is usually no need to go out and buy an extra heavy bow for Africa. I do however, recommend heavy arrows with a good foc ratio, and a heavy duty fixed blade broadhead for African game.

Thank you for the privilege of allowing us to host you in June of 2019! You will have a great safari!

13-Apr-18
I mean it’s not that I just went out and bought a heavy bow, I shoot a heavy bow period. 74-80lbs is my normal pull whether I’m killing deer or Cape buffalo that’s the same bow.

29-May-18
I hunted Limcroma twice. First time - Kudu, wildebeest, gems, zebra, warthog & impala. I used a Mathews Chill set at 61lbs & 405gr PSE x-weave pro's with Slick Trick-Viper tricks 125gr heads. I got pass-through on all... Second time for cape buffalo. Mathews Halon 32/6 at 65#. Arrow was Easton FMJ-DG with a Bishop 315gr single bevel two bld. Total arrow weight was 965gr. Got 25" of penetration on the buff. In my opinion, shoot what you comfortable with.

Only problem I had with Limcroma is once you hunt there you want to came back & back & back...

The place is outstanding. Best of luck

30-May-18
Hoytbowhunter I don't see anywhere that you mentioned your DL. Just wondering. I used a similar set-up years ago with Ken Moody. My DL is 27", and my arrow weighed 550grs. I used the Wensel Woodsman, a long 3-blade. They flew like darts and I got full pass-throughs on every thing I made a broadside shot on. On a warthog I even passed through both shoulders. I would recommend something like the VPA, or Wensel Woodsman. Have a great hunt:-) As a side note, although I don't know anything about your shoulder health, I would caution you on shooting an 80# bow to long. A lot of the older guys here warned bowsiters about shoulder injury. In retrospect I think they were right. I'm 66yrs old, and last year I had to put down my bows for 9months. I avoided surgery, and am back up to 60#, but I seriously doubt that I will ever pull 80# again, and maybe not even 70#. Truth is, it's just not necessary.

04-Jun-18
I hunted with Limcroma in 13' and never had a shot over 25 yards with 9 animals killed. I would recommend a sharp 3 or 4 blade for maximum blood loss. Your shots will be close and controlled if you are patient. I shot several animals under 10 yards. Personally I shot 72# bow with 430 grain arrows and 125 grain Razortricks.

11-Jul-18
Had pass throughs on everything (except zebra, bad shot) and Gemsbok (hit off side shoulder)with VPA 3 blade and Magnus Black Hornets. I think my draw weight was around 65lbs. FMJs with 50 grain brass insert up front.

13-Jul-18
I noticed your hunt is only 7 days. I highly recommend you book another three days. You’ll leave wishing you had a few more days.

17-Jul-18
I hunted with Limcroma in 13 and 14. Shot a lot of stuff. I used a 70 pound bow, and my arrows were about 460 grains. BHs were Slick Trick mags and some Magnus stinger with bleeder. That set up worked great. If you like 80 pounds, that’s up to you but its10-15 pounds more than you need. If I were going today, I’d use one of these BHs, in priority order Iron Will Exodous Magnus stinger with bleeder Slick at trick mag

18-Jul-18
I hunted with Limcroma in 13 and 14. Shot a lot of stuff. I used a 70 pound bow, and my arrows were about 460 grains. BHs were Slick Trick mags and some Magnus stinger with bleeder. That set up worked great. If you like 80 pounds, that’s up to you but its10-15 pounds more than you need. If I were going today, I’d use one of these BHs, in priority order Iron Will Exodous Magnus stinger with bleeder Slick at trick mag

18-Apr-19
Do 10 days minimum!

18-Apr-19
I hunted Namibia last summer using a 57# hybrid longbow with 650 grain carbon arrows with single bevel broadheads. I had pass throughs or complete penetration on all game that I shot (2 bull kudu, gemsbok, warthog, jackal). I do agree with others regarding the potential long-term detrimental effects to your shoulder shooting such a heavy draw weight. I am currently getting physical therapy for my shoulder after years of shooting bows in the mid-60#'s and playing a lot of sports. If you can handle the weight that is great but sometimes injuries don't become apparent until years later.

• Sitka Gear