Bill Obeid 23-Apr-18
tradmt 23-Apr-18
ColoBull 23-Apr-18
TD 23-Apr-18
Thornton 27-Apr-18
Matt 27-Apr-18
Frank Sanders 27-Apr-18
20-Apr-18
Here’s one I haven’t heard. John Dudley threw out that mechanicals lack of penetration vs fixed can be a benefit when making a poor shot (when hitting bone) because if you break that bone with a fixed you can maim an animal vs a mechanical that just bounces off and the animal walks off unharmed. He was referring to a shot to the hip. Anyway, something I’ve never heard before! PC 134 around 22-24 minutes.

20-Apr-18
The way that John Dudley shoots. I doubt that he's wounding many animals these days no matter what he uses lol.

He's got some crazy bear videos shooting rages though. Just slices them open. Still will stick to fixed myself.

20-Apr-18
Tough to generalize in that way about bone hits....too many variables. Shooting a high KE setup, I've had mechanicals hit bone, shear the fragile blades off cleanly, then fully pass through like a field point. And then I've had fixed heads strike the scapula and blow through intact and pass to the far leg (common). Just my personal experience, but I've never had a fbbh get stopped by bone on entry, with the exception of spine hits.

20-Apr-18
Not buying it. I have personally had mechs bust leg bones on the opposite side of the animal( deer). So obviously they could do that on the front side.

If you have a mech bounce off an animal, I would think you likely aren't shooting enough power to even be shooting a mech.

20-Apr-18
I like it! Catch and release for bowhunters! Hopefully get more guys doing it so some of us have more elk to kill:)

20-Apr-18
The more Dudley talks the less I want to hear of him.

20-Apr-18
Some people should stick to what they are good at and leave alone what they aren't...

20-Apr-18
Who is John Dudley?

20-Apr-18
I learns so much new stuff on Bowsite.

20-Apr-18
Probably the dumbest f&@$ing thing I've ever read on here. Congratulations.

20-Apr-18
Trad not sure if you are congratulating me or Dudley, but it wasn’t my comment.

20-Apr-18
Yep - whack me in the femur with a Rage and I'll just brush it off and skip off to the grocery store...

20-Apr-18
Interesting.

The only forum comments I've seen from the mech head guys is that, "They always get a pass through"...now Dudly is countering that? /grin

He's the guy that like HECS...... Maybe his brain waves got distorted or something....grin

20-Apr-18
Lame

20-Apr-18
I suspect the Dudley comment was taken a bit out of context. I'd consider myself lucky to hunt with him, any day. And I wouldn't give a hoot what was on the tip of his arrow. http://www.dudleyarchery.com/dudley/accomplishments

20-Apr-18
Stekewood x2. Is he supposed to be someone we know?

21-Apr-18

ColoBull's embedded Photo
ColoBull's embedded Photo
Not necessarily...

21-Apr-18
Maybe he should stick to poking holes in paper.

21-Apr-18
He pokes holes in a lot of animals, too.

If you want to learn how to set up a bow or learn how to shoot, he's one of the best.

21-Apr-18
Huge generalization that is pretty much unable to hold water. In some cases maybe but it's not an across the board truth. Thereby not a fact or worth consideration. Someone looking to say something to say something, for the sake of saying something.

21-Apr-18
Not going to look him up. Lost all respect for him in one sentence!

21-Apr-18
I have a profile page FULL of arguments for large mechanicals (Rage). That would not be one that I would make... JMO

21-Apr-18
Edit: He doesn't say "just bounces off", or "walks off unharmed". In context, he was talking about a longer shot, on an elk, that reacts, ducks & spins, and take a hit to the hip area. He speculates that a FB would have probably maimed the animal, which would then have had to be dispatched. In this case it likely survived because the mechanical did less damage. His quiver contains a variety of fixed & mechanical blades, for the multitude of shot opportunities that may arise. How ridiculous is that? (Sarcasm alert) It's almost ironic - the name of his PC is "Nock On"...

21-Apr-18
ColoBull x2. I listened to the podcast.

21-Apr-18
Colobull I think that’s basically what I said in my OP? I referred to the hip shot and isn’t that pretty much what happens to an animal that isn’t maimed? It walks off. There’s no arguing that he said a benefit of a mechanical is that it won’t break bones that a fixed will, which could maim an animal. I have no issues with Dudley, obviously I listen to his PC’s.

21-Apr-18
There’s too many variables to draw any conclusions from a fixed blade versus a mechanical hitting an animal in the hip. My suggestion is to get close enough to minimize making a poor shot of THAT magnitude. If you hit an animal in the hip but you were aiming at the vitals, you either need to practice more or get a lot closer to the animal to minimize the marjin of shooting error.

21-Apr-18
Ucsd - 'Pretty much, except the "just bounces off and the animal walks off unharmed." That obviously got some folks jumping to conclusions. Thanks for sharing. I'd rather listen to his podcasts than read some of the goofy stuff that has been showing up lately. Maybe go back & read some of the other replies?

22-Apr-18
John Dudley is one of the best. Got to love all the 'experts' online giving him the gears....

22-Apr-18
I would never choose a Broadhead based on what might happen if I miss. When I take a shot I expect to kill.

That’s just faulty logic bro

22-Apr-18
"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

I agree that 2” mechanicals allow for a greater margin of error and I’ll gladly take it. We are hunting wild animals that will take a sudden step, jump a string, etc. Not to mention, there is an element of buck fever that will make your shot not as perfect and easy as that shot you practiced all summer. It’s hunting and there will be adversity in this game involving a bad shot. If you’ve never had this happen, APauls, you eventually will. It happens to all of us but they just don’t show it on most of the shows. I want the deck stacked as much in my favor for recovering an animal, especially when a bad shot is made that will indeed kill the animal.

22-Apr-18
Guilty as charged of razzing duly in my first post....he seems like a quality guy.

As to his comment- its true.....heck, 20 yrs ago.... I had a chisel point head bounce off of a big bears shoulder...so yeah, Dudleys right, there are heads and arrow systems that leave them unscathed and I don't think a mech or chisel are any different in that regard. Worth mentioning that the head I used was advertised as "Bone breaking"- Ha!

Now I know better...and use a strong COC head.....

22-Apr-18
Kscowboy ive missed and I’ve wounded, definitely not above that. But using a head because you’re then trying NOT to kill the animal with that wound is where it gets faulty imo. I believe you need to be all in on wanting to kill the animal when you send that arrow. So then criteria on head selection starts to be “If I miss which head gives me a chance for a kill in this non-ideal situation?” As opposed to “if I miss by a bit maybe if I use THIS head the animal will be fine.”

I wonder if the author of the original article listed it as a reason for head selection or just a happen-chance positive in a hip type hit

22-Apr-18
John Dudley is in the limelight and is recognized as "one of the best" because of that. Doesn't mean he has all the answers.

22-Apr-18
The OP gives the podcast and section where his interpretation of the comment was made. Most are too lazy to actually listen to Dudley's comments in full context but have no problem spewing out an uninformed opinion. Every day I understand how "fake news" is perpetuated throughout our society.

22-Apr-18
Common sense tells me I don't have to listen to the podcast. If a mechanical will perform that poorly on a marginal shot at a long distance when an elk ducks and spins, why are you taking that shot with a mechanical in the first place?

22-Apr-18
SMH....I rest my case.

22-Apr-18
Not really. Some can just think on their own...

22-Apr-18
Midwest I get your point. I enjoy his videos and podcasts and have learned a lot. He’s a better archer on his worst day than I am on my best.

23-Apr-18
IMVHO, Dudley is wrong on this one. But he is right on a lot of other things. Just because I think he got this one wrong, I don't think any less of him. He knows a hell of a lot more about bows and hunting than I ever will. Dudley is a good guy and a knowledgeable hunter/archer.

23-Apr-18
Sounds like the words of someone who shot an animal in the hip and is now trying to make himself feel better!

23-Apr-18
"And the circle goes round and round"... Thanks for the laughs!

23-Apr-18
If in fact Dudley says that... as I was one who was too lazy and honestly uninterested to pull up the clip..... than his quote sounds to me like nothing more than a paid advertisement from the manufacturer. Just another promotional tool in the advertisers bag of tricks. Get the celebrity to say something “unique “about our product.

23-Apr-18
C'mon guys! The only REAL case for a mechanical is to profit from ignorance. :)

23-Apr-18
I thought that was the main argument for bowhunting in general.:)

23-Apr-18
Sounds more an endorsement of 350 grain arrows than mechs........ heheheheheh......

27-Apr-18
Everything I've shot with a 125 rage dies real quick. Something I can't say about several other broad heads

27-Apr-18
"whatever happened to patience, woodsmanship, hunting skills, and taking a shot, that puts the head, whatever you use, in the boiler room, all of the time............. "

Reality

27-Apr-18
X2 for Matt & KScowboy. You hunt enough, sh&$ is gonna happen that no matter how good the stalk, the shot, etc., you don't have control over.

• Sitka Gear