Shaft 23-May-18
24-Apr-18

houndy65's embedded Photo
My 13 year son and I have been making these home made box targets the last couple years. It has been a great project for us as a father & son and a little hunting money in our pockets.

24-Apr-18

rallison's embedded Photo
I've used home made bag targets for years. With compounds in the 80's, and sticks today.

Cheap, and easy. Long lasting also.

24-Apr-18

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Broadhead and fieldpoint targets.

24-Apr-18
Houndy, what are your target faces made from?

I built a box last year with 3rd hand faces and I love it, so far they have held up great!

I do a lot of work for a company that was building bag targets but the material used in feed sacks is now so biodegradable that they had to quit.

24-Apr-18
Mike, what is your target wrapped with? I have a large block of foam but its so messy. Also..... chickens love to eat foam blocks.....

24-Apr-18
poly bulk seed bags

24-Apr-18
hang one of those seed bags in the sun and see how long it lasts, they are not the same as they were a few years ago

24-Apr-18

Here it is with the heavier carpeting. My group doesn't look the best but it was from 90 yards.
Here it is with the heavier carpeting. My group doesn't look the best but it was from 90 yards.
The fieldpoint target is stuffed with poly and old plastic bags.
The fieldpoint target is stuffed with poly and old plastic bags.
Grubby, it's cheap carpeting with the backing side out.

I've since replaced it with heavier used carpeting and it works great and lasts a long time.

The biggest reason I built these bigger targets is so I can practice at long distances with confidence. Shooting long distance at small targets tends to make me develop target panic.

24-Apr-18
I know exactly what you mean!!

24-Apr-18

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
I’m actually in the process of building one right now. I found a local place that sells foam rubber I was able to get enough for $300 to build 1/4” layer target 60” high 42” wide 15” deep....

I’m still in the process of cutting up the foam when it’s done I’ll post some photos...

24-Apr-18

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
I use the poly feed sacks. Get them for 50 cents a piece at the feed store. When they break down I just take the shrink wrap out and stuff it into the new one.

I’ve used the same shrink wrap for years. Just need to fluff it up after it gets shot out in spots.

I like the bigger targets for shooting longer distances

24-Apr-18

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
I made this one kind of like Mike's. It's just one foam sheet so it's only 33 x 24 x 12. Big enough for those occasional fliers at long ranges and at 13lbs, its light enough to carry up the mountain where I have to shoot (can't in yard). Just got back actually. Rough night so I'm glad it was big.

24-Apr-18
rallison that riser is on your takedown is nice! I plan to copy cheesehead mike's target this year if I ever see my yard again. Have some of the materials on hand. Winter has worn out its welcome this year.

24-Apr-18

Bud...thanks.

Cheesehead Mike's is a good design...I made one like it for shooting in my basement, but used a load of Madison phone books my brother-in-law got ahold of. Placed the binder in the back and shot into the open pages. Worked great and held up for a couple years.

Heavy little bugger though! Lol.

I've since switched to the longbow, and stopped using the hockey net as a stand.

25-Apr-18

some more at home

25-Apr-18

Fuzz's embedded Photo
Ernie the Elk... he's a tough bastard!
Fuzz's embedded Photo
Ernie the Elk... he's a tough bastard!
Life size...but just a messed up raghorn. 9' nose to tail and 5' at the shoulder.

26-Apr-18
I like it Fuzz! Now you need to make a frontal elk target! :^)

26-Apr-18
rallison, I just figured the hockey net was to stop stray arrows :)

27-Apr-18

27-Apr-18

Finished another 4'x4'x24" target today, 4 of these headed to a archery shop.

27-Apr-18
Fuzz. Exactly what I want to build. Can u provide details on materials used? Thanks

27-Apr-18
is that a blue tarp?

27-Apr-18

Thunderflight 's embedded Photo
I made this life size elk target last year.

27-Apr-18
CheeseHead Mike -- toy just stuff the inside of the box frame w/ plastic and wrap with carpeting? Good stopping power? How is ease of arrow removal?

Thanks in advance

27-Apr-18
M. Pauls...lol...oh, it does! Kinda hard on em though.

27-Apr-18
lyons707,

Yes, just stuff the inside with any old poly or plastic bags. You can even go buy a new roll of poly at Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, etc. its not very expensive. The poly lasts forever and doesn't rot or break down, especially if you put a roof on it to keep rain out. Sometimes you have to take the top off and repack or rearrange the poly

Wrap with old carpeting with the backing side out. It has very good stopping power and arrows pull very easily, sometimes with just two fingers.

I used old carpeting that was torn up from the office building where I work.

27-Apr-18
Mine have window screen in them, I have an endless supply of it. Works great.

27-Apr-18
Grubby, yes the blue & brown heavier Costco tarps, backed with a heavier thick hay tarp.

27-Apr-18
Shrink wrap makes a good bag stuffer. My son works at a grocery store and they tear it off pallets and throw it in the garbage every day. I filled a couple Third Hand bags with it and they work great.

28-Apr-18
Thanks Cheesehead...I'm making one for sue

29-Apr-18
That nylon window screen is by far the best. Easy arrow removal as well

05-May-18

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Still have to sink 4x4 posts on the sides and build a roof but it’s shootable now

05-May-18
Go to just about any grocery store and you can probably get all the shrink wrap you can haul away for free. I had them fill up 2 large cardboard boxes for me. Same as cnelk, I use plastic gain sack, when it's shot out I just put it inside another one. Shooting the same target for several years - as was said, just fluff, add a little more plastic, fling arrows.

10-May-18
Mike, what thickness of poly do you use? 2 mil, 6 mil? And do you think it matters?

11-May-18
dc10,

most of mine is pretty thick because that's just what I have but I don't think it really matters. Shrink wrap is very thin and works very well...

16-May-18
Thanks Mike. What's the dimensions of your fieldpoint target? And is that just 2x4's throughout the structure?

16-May-18
Any problem with higher speed carbon arrows in the Styrofoam?

16-May-18
I am in need of putting some sort of large back stop up in case of an "oops". Do you guys recommend any sort of hanging netting? Compound bow.

16-May-18
Cheesehead how do broad heads pull out of the high density foam? How thick is it?

17-May-18
Any ideas on a target for 5-6 year old youth bows? My kids have bear scouts now looking for a good target for them.

17-May-18

dc10,

I don't have the dimensions of my field point target off the top of my head but I can measure it up and post.

Here's what the frame looks like. I slide another board under the top shorter 2x4's to help hold the plastic down and keep it compressed.

17-May-18

Here's the pattern to get 9 layers out of a 4'x8'x2" sheet of styro insulation.
Here's the pattern to get 9 layers out of a 4'x8'x2" sheet of styro insulation.
Ambush,

I shoot mostly FMJ's into the styro target and I don't have any problems. I also occasionally shoot some carbon arrows and they do get some pink residue on them. It scrapes off fairly easily with a dull knife blade.

bighorn,

It's 2" thick styro and arrows can be a little difficult to pull out but not too bad. I would say, not as bad as commercial targets that I have used.

dmann,

I would think a cardboard box stuffed with plastic sheeting or shrink wrap would work fine. I've use one for shooting my bow in the basement during the winter and it worked well.

17-May-18
Mike,

Thanks for the pic. And yes, if you could measure it and let me know the dimensions, it would be much appreciated!

17-May-18
I’ve had the pleasure of watching a couple poorly shot arrows hit the wood edge on a target with a field point. They just blow into pieces.

17-May-18
Must be wimpy arrows because I've stuck an arrow or two into a 2x4 in the past and have never had the arrow blow into pieces...

18-May-18

blue side of the same target
blue side of the same target
finished another 4'x4'x24" for a old high school buddy in Lewistown, Montana

Just a little side note I use 2"x2" around the outer edge of these target, there is plenty of run to spare on a miss. Hey don't miss, LOL

18-May-18
dc10,

My field point target is 40" wide, 36" high and 24" deep.

If I was going to do anything different I would make it 20" deep. It gets bulged out a little in the center after shooting it quite a bit and sometimes a 28" arrow will stop inside of the target with neither the point or the nock sticking out of either side. If it wasn't quite as thick there would be less chance of an arrow stopping completely inside of the target.

19-May-18
Great ideas and nice targets

23-May-18

Shaft's embedded Photo
Shaft's embedded Photo
Empty dog food bag stuffed with sacks from Walmart and then placed in the cut out of the target faces posted. See pics

23-May-18

Shaft's embedded Photo
Shaft's embedded Photo
More

• Sitka Gear