Bou'bound 26-Apr-18
Shug 26-Apr-18
GLP 26-Apr-18
4blade 26-Apr-18
Canuck 26-Apr-18
dg72a 27-Apr-18
carcus 27-Apr-18
24-Apr-18
I’m looking at a second bow, mainly for backup in case my main bow has issues.

My question is this. Does it make better sense to have 2 bows with the same poundage/arrow setup, or would it be better to have 2 set up differently.

Currently I shoot 70 pounds at a 28.5” draw. 1 pin slider sight. I am thinking about a 60 pound bow, with a 3 pin sight as my backup.

What do you guys with multiple bows use/think about the backup bow being the same/different? I mostly hunt white tails from a tree stand, but have been traveling for new species. I’m leaning toward the Triax. I shot one today for the first time, and was impressed.

24-Apr-18
Try and match the same bows. When I mean match I mean get the same bow or something close such as triax, Jakob. Don’t buy a triax if your shooting a pse expedite for example there just too different. As for weight shoot the same weight less. I have a unique situation I shoot a 80 lb nitrum turbo daily(it’s my backup) but I leave it at work, my main hunting bow is my 70lb Hyperforce. It’s very easy for me to draw and shoot comfortably since I am going from a turbo to such a smooth cam and shooting 70 feels like 50. Deffinently find the gear u like the most and put it on both bows, if you shoot any sight, stabilizer, rest often enough over time you’ll love it.

24-Apr-18
I generally beleave that a true back-up bow should be identical to your main bow. Down to same model, same sights, rest, peep, etc. I don’t necessarily live by that rule, but I probably should!

That said I certainly understand wanting to change it up a bit, I have often considered setting up a DG bow, which could be considered a general use back up if necessary.

For a true back up I would be wanting to match as much as I could. Problem with the “exact set-up” philosophy is flatship bows cost so much I would be dropping $4k-5k for a pair of twin bows!

—jim

24-Apr-18
Hoyt, the Triax is very similar to my Chill R. Sights are not a problem to match, and I don’t shoot a stabilizer. I’ve looked for a second Chill R, but haven’t found one in good enough shape to justify the savings. Jim, I like your idea of exact bows, but I still want to be able to afford to hunt! So keeping the old and adding a new one is the only way to do that for me.

24-Apr-18
I think a backup bow is good. I currently have 2 bows so have a back up bow. I shoot them about the same. I decide which one I want to use and practice woth that one mostly as they do shoot a littler different. But setup pretty much the same

24-Apr-18
Plenty of good chills out there, look on the classifieds. If one comes by the shop I’ll give you a holler

26-Apr-18
I used to have 2 Mathews MQ1's set up almost identical and use one for a backup. I shot my original MQ1 for 18 years.

2 years ago I bought a Halon 6 and sold one of the MQ1's. I kept the other MQ1 as a backup and although the 2 bows are quite different, I'm very familiar with the MQ1, have killed a crapload of animals with it and it still shoots very well. I have no problem relying on it as my backup bow.

26-Apr-18
Having identical bows is a good idea but not a must. Just be familiar with your back up bow and you'll be fine.

26-Apr-18
My 13 year old claimed my backup..... I kept them set up very similar. shot the same arrow. wasn't a big deal to switch.

26-Apr-18
I have two bows that I mainly use. One is a Hoyt Carbon Spyder set at 60 lbs, which I use in the early season on whitetail hunts and on western hunts where I am on the move all day. The Other is an Elite 35 set at 50 lbs that I use when I am whitetail hunting once the weather gets cold. When the temps drop and your all bundled up you will be glad you dropped the draw weight. It is a bummer when the buck you have been after comes by and you have to go through all kinds of gyrations to draw your bow or worse yet cant break it over! I used to shoot heavier draw weights but after rotator cuff surgeries on both shoulders I got smart and shoot lighter draw weights.

I have no problems switching between bows, it fact I have shot the most animals with my late season bow.

26-Apr-18
I normally have three or four bows, one a couple years old, one 5 or 6 years old, and one around ten years old. I currently have an Elite, Matthews Chill, and a Matthews Drenalin. When ever I get to four bows I normally give a bow to someone who does not bow hunt to get them involved. I just donated a Matthews Legacy to a guy in January who shot his first pig in February.

26-Apr-18
The bow should be similar to your main bow. When I switched to an Elite Synergy from a Hoyt Maxxis 35, I kept my Vectrix XL because I could hardly give it away anyways. It was not a good complimentary backup because my Synergy has a huge valley and the Vectrix XL had very little. So I sold it and bought another older Elite GT500 to back up the Synergy. Both have a similar valley and I can shoot them both well. As far as poundage goes, I'm not sure but I think the same or less would be smart.

26-Apr-18
I've never had a backup bow. However, now that I'm afflicted with the Traditional bug, I sometimes take it along on trips or hunts just in case opportunity exists to shoot traditional.

It is a problem going from instinctive to compound shooting for me, I should dedicate to Traditional if that is the preferred bow for a season or something.

26-Apr-18
Two, first string bows, ready to go at all times. No back-up just two equals ready for what ever mood I’m in. Same draw length, pull weight, arrow and broadheads for both. Does not have to be the same make or model.

Always have an extra release in my backpack. If you don’t now you will:)

26-Apr-18
I have a back up bow and although both are Mathews, they are totally different! One is an old Mathews Ovation 42" finger bow that is set up to shoot instinctively off a flipper rest and bare bow other than a stabilizer. That is my back up the other is a Mathews ZXT 28"s and fully decked out. I do shoot the same arrow off of both but I don't think it matters to have matching bows as long as you shoot the back up good! Shawn

26-Apr-18
Thanks for the input guys. I’m leaning toward a 60# draw, also thinking of late season cold temps. I do carry an extra release. It has saved my bacon on several occasions ;)

26-Apr-18
Never would consider a separate arrow set up for a backup rig

26-Apr-18
I have a two back ups for my back up. Four of the same bow in fact l just bought two new cams so all four bows are 28” draw previously two were 28.5

26-Apr-18
My thought is to get the draw EXACTLY the same. I can shoot different bows the same if draw length is the same. Greg

26-Apr-18
I have two that are the same model bow and shoot the very same arrow setup.

26-Apr-18
I have two absolutely identical bows except for cover! I take both for any hunts away from home more than one night.

27-Apr-18
I have a back up bow for my back up bow.

27-Apr-18
I have a 70lb 6"bh bow for the big stuff(elk and moose) and a 60lb 7" bow for bear and deer, I also like the 7"bh bow for the extra clothing clearance during the late season

• Sitka Gear