Shawn 02-May-18
Shawn 02-May-18
elkmtngear 02-May-18
Pigsticker 02-May-18
Z Barebow 02-May-18
Ziek 02-May-18
TX Cazador 02-May-18
30-Apr-18
Just got finish shooting the Total Archery Challenge in San Antonio. They had 3D targets out to 100yds. +- . I shoot an older Switchback effectively to 60yrds. But would like to shoot the 3D to 100yrds. 1. What kind of rig do you shoot for this kind of distance? I want to stay at 55LB to 60LB, Is this possible? 2. Also include arrow info. 3.What kind of brace height? 4. I would like to keep the stabilizer 18" or less??

Thanks

30-Apr-18

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
I’m shooting a Hoyt bow. Goldtip arrows that weight 450. Hamskea rest and Spot Hogg sight

I can shoot it out to 130 yards

Here’s a 105 group

30-Apr-18
I shoot an Xpedition Xcentric 7 70#, 7" brace height, IBO 344 fps. Arrows are Easton FMJ's that weigh right at 500gr. I use a MBG Ascent 3 pin sight with a 10" B Stinger stabilizer. It's my exact hunting rig. You'll be able to use your current bow. Just get a slider sight and dial her in!

30-Apr-18
Elite 35 at 27.5 inch draw at 64 Lbs with 415 grain arrow. 3 pin MBG Ascent bottoms out at 110.

30-Apr-18
Xpedition Perfexion, 60 lb, 277fps, Black Eagle arrows, Sure Loc Supreme w/ 4X lens. 100 yards is fun, especially with lighted nocks in the evening!

30-Apr-18
Mathews Halon 6, 70# FMJ 400's, 100 gr. tip, QAD rest, 10" B Stinger stab, CBE Tek Hybrid sight. I've shot out to 120 yards and could go little further but I haven't.

30-Apr-18
Most sliders will but your bow needs a certain speed to shoot 100 yards or greater. I had to tweak my setup to get more speed. I have two trophy ridge sliders but was on phone last week with MBG’s customer service to figure out my best option.

30-Apr-18
I think the Switchback is capable of doing it as well, but you may have to change a few things. have you considered this?

30-Apr-18
Get a slider sight. The bow can do it. You can mess around with stabilizers off the front and back to get it to hold steady at long distances but I wouldn’t get a different bow for just the purpose of shooting further

30-Apr-18
When I was shotting my Switchback XT and a slider site I could only get to 80 yards with my hunting arrow, 66# and a 27.5" draw. after that my sight window started making vane contact. I also had my bottom "slider" pin in the bottom of the sight window, so i could not move it any further down. What is your draw length?

There is a very real chance you can not use your rig as currently set up to shoot that far. I have heard of people essentially running a 2nd peep higher up in the string for long range shooting. Might be necessary with the switchback.

30-Apr-18
It really is not whether the bow can do it, it can easily. It has a lot to do with where you anchor. I anchor quite high so even a good slider can only get me about 80 yards. If i anchor lower I can get more distance. Also you could shoot a lighter arrow say 340 grains or so. Shawn

30-Apr-18
My draw length is 27" and I have the bow set at 58# -- My sight is a HHA Optimizer

30-Apr-18
You should be able to get close to 100 out of that. As mentioned previously look at lowering your anchor and correspondingly raising your peep sight in order to gain more clearance in your sight window.

30-Apr-18
Caz, X2 Apails sometimes it is all about the bow arrow setup. I had to talk to the guys at trophy ridge and they stated that I needed a certain speed to maximize the distance that the slider sight offered. Again, it’s simple math.

30-Apr-18
Brotsky

If I change my anchor point lower, I would automatically have to raise the peep -- so if I go to lighter arrows, your gut feeling I could squeeze more yardage out of my rig? Your shooting 70# - 500gr arrow at 344ft. sec. so if I can get a arrow at 400gr it would show a noticeable difference?? Were talking gut to gut.

30-Apr-18
Shawn isn't 340gr arrow kind of of light?? What are you shooting now?

30-Apr-18
Some have said you don't need a different bow. You may not, but buying a new bow is fun so...

30-Apr-18
You're shooting a 500 grain arrow at 344fps!? Do you have a REALLY long draw? Btw your current bow will shoot 100 yards easily. It'll shoot 400 yards if you want it to.

30-Apr-18
He didn't write that he's shooting a 500 grain arrow 344. He wrote he's shooting a 500 grain arrow out of a bow that's rated at 344 IBO.

30-Apr-18
Ha thanks tilzbow! Didn't read all the posts just happened to read the one 3 posts above mine. You are correct. My bad.

30-Apr-18
I shot a 100 yard 3d Elk at No Limits today for the first time. I just can't believe the accuracy of today's equipment. Hoyt Red Wrk, Spot Hogg, FKJ arrows. I can't do that sort of thing with my longbow and cedar arrows.

30-Apr-18
Cazador what is the weight of your current arrow. My comes up that you need to speed the arrow up. Do me it was simply switching to Maxima Reds.

Just wondering, why would I change my anchor if I have been shooting that way for years? I don’t consider myself a guru so don’t be offended.

30-Apr-18
My bow’s IBO is 344, I get about 285 FPS out of it with my arrow set-up and draw length.

I would try an arrow somewhere around 400-425, lower your anchor and see where it gets you. You should be able to get 80 for sure I would think. 100 might be stretching it.

30-Apr-18
I was going to mention your peep to d loop measurement earlier but didn't have my bow. My peep to d loop is 6 1/2" or a little over. I use a 5 pin slider and use my 20 yard pin as my rover pin. Good from 20 to 100 or better. That said, if I anchored with fletch in corner of my mouth and cut that measurement in half I wouldn't be able to accomplish 100 yards with a 20 yard pin.

01-May-18
Right now i'm shooting the RX-1 Ultra with an Axcel Accutouch 5 pin and ACC 349s with the brass HP inserts at 439 grains around 16% FOC.

01-May-18

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
I shoot Field Rounds as often as possible. Farthest tgt is 80 yds. No problems & for Field, Target, 3-D I am shooting a 45# Darton, 75% letoff, 28" arrow weighing 390 grns (1913 Aluminum). 5 pin hunting sight. I have plenty of room & would be able to shoot 100+ yds. pretty easy. FITA rounds (right at 100 yds) are shot with Recurves all the time & guessing under 50#s. I shot tons of Field with a 70" 38# Recurve long b/4 compounds became the craze.

01-May-18
To expand on what Matt said....the better way to measure your peep to arrow is at full draw. This takes into account geometry of a specific bow and will allow you to replicate peep height regardless of ATA or BH on 2 different bows. A rough measurement for peep height is around 4" from peep to arrow at full draw. Mine is about 3.8" and I can easily get 100 yards out of my Spott Hogg Tommy Hogg and farther using my double pin scope.

02-May-18
I am shooting over 450 grains but if he is shooting 60#s than 350 is not super light. Shawn

02-May-18
Look how low ahunter55 anchors, that helps a real lot getting out there!! Shawn

02-May-18
Well, my Wife will be shooting her 40 pound rig, with a standard 5 pin Spot Hogg sight, at Bigfoot this Weekend in Redding, CA, at the 3D Nationals (101 yards).

Just "stack" your pins, for anything over 60. Do the math.

02-May-18
Called second sight company with the later be MBG and both have recommended increasing arrow speed by upping poundage and or decreasing arrow weight...

Like I stated before that I am no guru. Just surprised about some of the answers.

02-May-18
"Just "stack" your pins, for anything over 60. Do the math."

Ummm, I didn't know there would be math. I am out! LOL!

02-May-18

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
Kinda hard to see the arrow in first pic.
Ziek's embedded Photo
Kinda hard to see the arrow in first pic.
I can only get out to 80 yards with my setup with BG 4 pin slider before clearance becomes an issue. I leave it fixed for hunting. The bottom pin is set for 50 yards and is the farthest I will shoot at an uninjured animal, and even then, rarely. I'm a better hunter than that. ;-) But I occasionally like to practice farther out. Past 80 yards, I lower the sight for 80, hold the bottom pin where I want to hit and count pins back up, then raise the bottom pin to where the pin was for the added yardage. Admittedly, that's not the most accurate method for 3d, but my bow is set for hunting, and it is useful if you need a follow up arrow at long range. It's good to practice if you're hunting rig won't get out that far. This was a 100 yard shot using that method. And yes, it was my first arrow and I was smart enough to not try to repeat it.

02-May-18
Thanks all who added to this post --- will be working on it this weekend trying suggestion and seeing what works. Ill report back on my findings.

• Sitka Gear