Shug 08-May-18
Lone Eagle 09-May-18
Matt 09-May-18
Forest bows 09-May-18
Matt 10-May-18
PAstringking 10-May-18
JTreeman 10-May-18
06-May-18
I'm looking for a top notch Columbia Blacktail Deer Guide for an early summer hunt? I would really appreciate some good advice.

Thanks

06-May-18
Miller Ranch, Mendocino County...

07-May-18

lyons707's embedded Photo
lyons707's embedded Photo
Arrowfive Outfitters, Zenia, CA. Wonderful people and awesome hunters!!!

07-May-18
I saw the Miller ranch but was concerned of the size being only 1000 acres.

07-May-18
Very nice buck!!! What the neck did it score?

07-May-18
hunt forever -- scored 137.5"

07-May-18
lyons- check your pm's.

07-May-18
I hunted Miller Ranch about five years ago. Had a good time, didn't spend a lot, and it was plenty big enough. Also finished my deer slam there.

07-May-18
njbuck -- I will get a back at you tomoroow

07-May-18
Arrowfive Outfitters. Jim and TinaMarie are great!!

07-May-18
I sent you a pm first!! Lol

07-May-18
I sent you a pm first!! Lol

08-May-18
I hunted the Miller ranch a couple years ago and it’s plenty big enough! Beautiful country and one of the most fun hunts I’ve done. Would do it again in a heartbeat

08-May-18
I hunted with both Arrow 5 and Millers. They are both great hunts. They are Just different ends of the spectrum for the “hunt” Itself. Arrow 5 was a full catered airport pick up- great food , great people and great hunt.

Miller’s was a more of a meat and potatoes type of hunt. You get yourself to camp, buy and cook your own food and I was alone in the bunk house so it wasn’t the same camp environment.

I would do both again just decide do you wanna do a velvet hunt or a rut hunt. I could be wrong but it’s my understanding that A5 doesn’t do the rut hunts any longer. Good luck

09-May-18
Arrow 5 Outfitters

09-May-18
If you hunt blacktails in CA, make sure you are familiar with the regulation on baiting and understand that there is a new qualifier that substantially increases the penalties in the event that bait is used in the taking of a "trophy animal:

Baiting Regulation (operative words, "...other feed whatsoever capable of...luring mammals", which would include the intentional placing of indigenous oak and buckeye limbs per my local CA DF&W Warden): "Taking Resident Game Birds and Mammals by the Aid of Bait. Except as otherwise provided in these regulations or in the Fish and Game Code, resident game birds and mammals may not be taken within 400 yards of any baited area. (a) Definition of Baited Area. As used in this regulation, “baited area” shall mean any area where shelled, shucked or unshucked corn, wheat or other grains, salt, or other feed whatsoever capable of luring, attracting, or enticing such birds or mammals is directly or indirectly placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered, and such area shall remain a baited area for ten days following complete removal of all such corn, wheat or other grains, salt, or other feed."

The new qualifier regulation contains the following, increases the penalty for baiting trophy wildlife to not less than $5,000 and not more than $40,000: " The law, FGC section 12013.3, increases the punishment for a conviction of poaching the trophy while taking out of season, spotlighting, baiting, waste of meat, or take without a tag. The fine for a poaching conviction related to trophy deer, elk, antelope, or bighorn sheep shall be not less than five thousand dollars ($5,000), nor more than forty thousand dollars ($40,000)..."

http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/17CAHD-LR2.pdf

09-May-18
Buzz kill!

10-May-18
Better to know the regulation than to be unwittingly led into a violation by your outfitter and potentially suffer fines, loss of hunting privileges, and reputational damage - especially now that there is substantive economic incentive for enforcement.

10-May-18

PAstringking's embedded Photo
PAstringking's embedded Photo
Miller Ranch isnt doing guided hunts anymore to my knowledge. I believe, like most of the good ranches in that area, are moving to "deer club" setups.

I have heard good things about Arrow5

I took my blacktail on the Shamrock right next door to Miller. They are 100% deer club now and all Tule hunts are through third party. Total bummer.

10-May-18
I was thinking the same thing as PAstringking above, but was not positive so I held my comment. But I think he is correct. Obviously would need to check it out either way, but don’t get your hopes too high. Good luck.

I have been very pleased with Arrow 5 as well.

—jim

• Sitka Gear