LINK 09-May-18
splitlimb13 09-May-18
LINK 09-May-18
huntnfish808 10-May-18
Starfire 10-May-18
Firsty 10-May-18
deserthunter 10-May-18
07-May-18
Thinking about getting a pocket chainsaw for my spike camp setup. Some of them look pretty cheaply made but it's hard to tell from the Amazon reviews which ones are good quality. Can anyone recommend a good one?

08-May-18

Rut Nut's Link
Hope EF Hutton is alright! ;-)

I have used one for years. It's like this one, but I got it before they had the nice handles. Mine just has the steel loops at the end, so you have to break off 2 sticks to use as handles. Works great AND gives you a heck of a bicep workout! : )

08-May-18
Looks like a smart thing to have in your truck at all times.

08-May-18
Got something similar but its not a chain saw, just a sawtooth band of wire with loops on each end.

08-May-18

LINK's Link
Not near as light but this is what I have at base camp and throw in my pack if I think I need it. I don’t often need it. Put a handle on it for hand held or screw it on a pole for trimming tree stand lanes. I know nothing about a pocket chainsaw but that doesn’t look user friendly, lol.

08-May-18
Doesn't look to be any smaller or lighter than a small saw. What is the perceived advantage to the pocket chainsaw? Longer cutting stroke?

08-May-18
https://youtu.be/RaGLFR9VJ0M No thank you, I'll just stick to my folding saw.

08-May-18

Scrappy's Link

08-May-18

LINK's Link
Apauls it’s not. Like I said I don’t often pack it. Teeth are aggressive and it will chew through a log pretty quick. I had to see what these pocket saws will do. I was impressed on this video but looks like a good hand saw is hard to beat.

08-May-18
Apauls- it fits in a pocket. And is much more efficient than a folding saw.

08-May-18
I use mine exclusively when backpacking for cutting firewood.

08-May-18
Biggest problem I have in the field is fallen timber laying across the trail . Any log the size of the one in the video I'd just pick up and move. But looks like it might come in handy.

08-May-18
Biggest problem I have in the field is fallen timber laying across the trail . Any log the size of the one in the video I'd just pick up and move. But looks like it might come in handy.

08-May-18
Must have a REALLY small piston!

09-May-18
Runs on beer so you have that weight concern and packing enough.

09-May-18
A friend of mine uses a pocket chain saw when hunting elk deep in backcountry. He uses it to saw the antlers off of bulls. That is its only use. I know that he buys the cheap lightweight kind (much cheaper/lighter than Cabela's) and that he's had trouble finding a decent one. It seemed ridiculous to use a pocket chain saw on an elk skull (he's a true "weight weenie") and he says that its a tedious process to use it. I don't have any more details because I just haul meat out first and bring a small folding saw back when fetching the antlers, usually on the last load.

09-May-18
“Biggest problem I have in the field is fallen timber laying across the trail.”

I just step over or crawl under those. I prefer to leave them to keep wheeled and motorized traffic away. ;)

09-May-18
“Biggest problem I have in the field is fallen timber laying across the trail.” I just step over or crawl under those. I prefer to leave them to keep wheeled and motorized traffic away. ;) Yes agreed, but when you're pulling a pack string and the downfall is chest height leaves you no choice if you can get around.

09-May-18
Got ya.

10-May-18
Cabelas wins, ill get that one. Thanks for the advice!

10-May-18
Just don't get the cheap wire saws. they break easily.

10-May-18
Hey Hutton put your coat back on.......problem solved.

10-May-18
ob saw wire works for cutting skull caps

• Sitka Gear