geoffp 06-Jul-18
BOWNBIRDHNTR 07-Jul-18
kota-man 07-Jul-18
Korey Wolfe 10-Jul-18
HUNT MAN 10-Jul-18
Bowboy 14-Jul-18
Lone Bugle 13-Aug-18
08-May-18
Well I've been holding off on posting this. I spoke with the folks at Eastman's EBJ today and they said it was alright to post my hunt. I'll try my best to make this interesting.

I've been applying for a sheep tag since the points system came out in WY. I was a resident for quite a few years since I was military person. I missed one year when I was stationed in Korea. We had an unexpected exercise get prolonged, and I missed the deadline. I was one point shy of max.

I've been trying to draw the 3 hardest areas in the state, but so is everyone else, and with being one shy of max, it wasn't going to happen anytime soon. I'd stayed have a non-resident I would have probably drawn one of those units who know's.

I finally decided to throw my name in the hat for one of the other areas. With my points it was pretty well a given I'd draw. Also I'm not getting any younger!

The draw results came out and I drew an Area 5 tag. I chose this area because it has a lot sheep, and as you all know than means more opportunities. A lot of folks stated it was a difficult area to bow hunt since it's so open, but I knew a few folks who hunted it and were successful.

I called a good friend and he's helped a lot people rifle hunt this area many times. He also took a ram himself with a bow. Also this is a 6.5hr trip from my home to the area one way.

08-May-18

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
I went up with my friend at the end of June and he showed me the lay of land and access points. This unit is big and I don't have access to horses or mules.

You have to go through the big metropolis of Meeteetse WY Population 327. In native american language it means "Meeting Place". I think a lot of the Chiefs use to meet there back in the day in this area.

Also there is a really good chocolate store that is suppose to have the best chocolate in WY.

08-May-18

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
I went up with my friend at the end of June and he showed me the lay of land and access points. This unit is big and I don't have access to horses or mules.

You have to go through the big metropolis of Meeteetse WY Population 327. In native american language it means "Meeting Place". I think a lot of the Chiefs use to meet there back in the day in this area.

Also there is a really good chocolate store that is suppose to have the best chocolate in WY.

08-May-18
Don't know why the double post.

08-May-18
Can’t wait for This one. Just in time before a few sheep draws. Congrats again Craig !

08-May-18

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
We spent three days scouting and saw grizzly bears, elk, antelope as high as the elk. Only saw one band of sheep quite a ways away.

08-May-18

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
We spent three days scouting and saw grizzly bears, elk, antelope as high as the elk. Only saw one band of sheep quite a ways away.

08-May-18

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Here's a grizzly track from a bear we watch right from our tent until he went down a canyon draw. He was a big old boar. What's funny is an antelope buck came up over this rise and was snorting and the bear ran off. I guess I should sell antelope buck snorts for a grizzly bear deterrent. Maybe I could become rich or get sued!

08-May-18

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
I went up a couple more times myself and cover a lot of different areas but never saw any sheep.

One day I went up on this old two track up on a mountain and hiked about 2 miles back in to glass. A big storm was coming in from the west with rain and thunder boomers.

I ran back to the ATV and it started hailing it was barren ground and I had no place to hide. I hide on the opposite side of my ATV but that didn't help much. It hailed for at least 45 minutes. Now that was fun not!

08-May-18

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
The last time I went up I went up on the Wood River side. I hiked up this mountain and was glassing, and I run into an older guy coming down the mountain. I asked him if he had seen any sheep he said you a hunter and I said yes. He blatantly states I'm not saying. I said you the guy with the Toyota RAV4 with the California plates he stated yes. He told me he use to live in Cody and was the Forest Service Hiking Trail Maintainer director for 25yrs. He had no pepper spray or protection.

Here's some more mountain pictures and a selfie.

08-May-18

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
After the lovely meeting with the CA person I hiked back down and went to look for a little town name Kirwin. The story is two local deer hunters back in the day discovered gold while hunting. Immediately after a two sprung up.

You can get there by truck 4x4 or ATV. Yiu have to cross quite a few creeks. The buildings are still there. Here's some pictures.

08-May-18

Bowboy's Link
Ok enough of the history stuff!

I had all my plans in place and was going to go up the 13th of August and do some scouting since the season started the 15th. About a week and half prior to leaving my plans fell apart. The friend had a bad knee and the doctor didn't want him hiking those hills. The other energetic guy is self employed and had some work deadlines he had to meet and could only go for 3 days tops. I was stressing to say the least!

I don't mind hunting by myself but this is big country and you can easily get hurt or maybe even mauled by the big furry critters in the area. My wife might like that since I have lot's of life insurance!

I had received quite a few Outfitter Brochures and I'm not against using an outfitter. Sheep hunts are not easy to come buy unless your filthy rich and can buy auction tags every year. I called a few friends and they knew some of the outfitters. They gave me some suggestions who to use and knows bowhunting. I called the first outfitters and he was already booked. He recommended Shoshone Lodge Outfitters Josh Martoglio. He stated this guy it hardcore. I figured he was booked but called anyway. He stated his brother was taking a bowhunter in another area, but he would be available. I didn't hesitate and booked.

He told me he had 21 Rifle Hunters already booked for the season.

08-May-18

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
So we meet up on the 14th and load the horses and mules. It's a 6.5 ride in one-way.

Hope my butt doesn't get saddle sore!

08-May-18

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
We get in with plenty of time to set-up camp and take care of the stock. It's was a great ride in and my butt wasn't sore thank goodness!

08-May-18
Awesome! This sounds like fun!

08-May-18

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Josh glassing for sheep.
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Josh glassing for sheep.
Bowboy's embedded Photo
You can't see all five rams but their there
Bowboy's embedded Photo
You can't see all five rams but their there
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Here's where we left the stock.
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Here's where we left the stock.
Opening morning we get up have some breakfast and get the riding stock ready. It's cloudy and lightly raining with fog. I shoot my bow a little while josh is messing with one of the horses.

We ride up a mountain top and get to a good spot where we can glass. We see elk and Josh spots some rams way across a canyon. He has up believable spotting ability. We also spot a big old bull elk that Josh stated he'll got 380 or better. He's in an easy place for a stalk but were sheep hunting.

The fog behind us breaks and Josh spots five rams bedded underneath an over hang. He puts the scope on them and I take a looked and a picture. He stated there's two good rams.

We devise a plan and ride up through a draw. Once on top we tie up the stock and get in a spot we can get a better look at the rams.

08-May-18
Ready for this Bowboy. I hunted with josh a few years ago. It will be great to see pics of possibly the same areas. What horses where you on?

Bill v

08-May-18
The sheep get up and start feeding we run up a draw below them and start up a hill and one of the younger rams peeks over and see's us.

We just get up and go other direction back to the stock. When we get back Josh tells me to go up the ridge finger above the and hide behind this big rock since their headed that way. Josh tells me he's going to expose himself and most likely they'll come my way.

It's nice and sunny at the moment so I hustle up the ridge finger. I see Josh walk and he signals there headed my way. I range some rocks and only have to shoot maybe 30yds.

About 40 minutes later Josh signals me to come down. I get to the bottom and he states the rams have bedded.

We walk back to the stock and eat something and about 30 minutes later the rams come by my rock at about 25yds. Go figure! ] Day one in the books since it's getting dark and raining. We head back to camp!

08-May-18
Bill I rode a mule most of the time. I did ride a horse named Buck one-day.

08-May-18
Can’t wait to hear the rest!

08-May-18

Bowboy's embedded Photo
This is the basin we rode up in with the stock.
Bowboy's embedded Photo
This is the basin we rode up in with the stock.
Day two we get up and it's cold and frosty but clear skies. We go back up where the five rams were headed the day before.

We get up in the opposite basin and spot them feeding. We ride up to the other end and on top. We spot 12 rams in one bunch to the west of the feeding rams. One is a true bomber ram in the high 170's. Their all bedded in the open in a 360 and can see every direction. Josh tells me to go on the back side of the ridge rock finger and stay out of sight and see if I can get close to them.

It takes me about 45 minutes but there is no way I can to get near them. The closest I get is 200yds. They finally see me and go over the hill. Into the next basin.

Josh signals to me that the 5 feeding rams are still in the same place and some have bedded.

Our plan is for me to move around and stay above them all day and hopefully they'll feed up.

08-May-18
Keep it coming, bowboy!

08-May-18

Bowboy's embedded Photo
One of the 5 rams within shooting distance of Josh
Bowboy's embedded Photo
One of the 5 rams within shooting distance of Josh
I stay up on the ridge above the rams all day. Josh can see them from his location. He signals to me he's going to take the stock and ride towards them to push them up the hill.

He get's within 80yds of them and they pay no attention to him. Go figure!

08-May-18
About 4:30 all the rams get up and start feeding up the hill toward me. I can't see them, but Josh signals their headed my way.

I hide behind this little rock and Josh signals there right below me. I still can't see them. He signals the smallest ram is in the lead.

Josh states there straight below me and closer. I slowly creep toward a little rise were I might be able to see them. I all of a sudden I see the back of a ram with his head down feeding. I'm in the wide open but on my knees. The ram steps out and I range his at 33yds. For some reason I don't seem nervous but calm. I come to full draw and I hold the single pin in the sweet spot and the release goes off!

08-May-18
Love the story and pics Craig! Keep ‘em coming

08-May-18
I'm a pretty decent shot most of the times, but once in awhile I drop my arm to watch the arrow. This is one of those dumbest times to do it and the arrows fletching just touches him on the brisket area. Arrgh! I can't believe I blew a shot like this!

Also it was the biggest ram in the bunch maybe a mid 160 ram or better.

I see the rams come out the bottom of a draw. I go looked but there is not need I cleanly missed a give shot!

I walk down the hill and just was not happy! Day two in the books!

I relayed that shot a million times over and have no one to blame but myself! It was a rough night.

Josh talked to his girlfriend on the satellite phone and said don't feel to bad she missed an antelope.

08-May-18
Beautiful country up there! Great hunt so far! Keep it coming!

I met one of the Martoglio boys when I was hunting elk up north of Cody. Would not hesitate to call them with a sheep tag in my pocket.

08-May-18

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Here's another angle.
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Here's another angle.
Day three it's clear but not quite as cold.

Josh gives the mule I'd been riding a day of rest. He saddles up a horse named Buck.

We ride out and head in the opposite direction from camp in a new drainage. Josh will take his stock most places I wouldn't go by myself.

We get in this basin and spot some rams bedded across from us. Josh has me work toward them but they somehow see me and go over the other side of the mountain.

We ride and bushwhack a trail with lots of deadfall. We glass and see some sheep but there mainly small rams, ewes with lambs. It's starts getting dark and so we head back.

Day three in the books!

08-May-18
Day four it clear and a lot warmer.

Josh says let's got back to where we were yesterday. He stated there's always rams there.

We get there and spot some about 8 rams headed up this nasty rocky draw to bed. It's kind of breezy.

We have to cross this steep rocky area and Josh states we'll need to walk the horses across this little rocky narrow draw. We get on the other side and Josh states get back on. I put one foot in the stirrup and Buck my horse goes rodeo. He jumps down into the draw bucking all the way with my bow in the scabbard. We here something like a bow crashing in the rocks. I'm thinking or crap my sights and strings. We run down the hill and Buck is just standing there like nothing happen. Thank god my bow is fine. I ask Josh what he stated Buck just didn't like something and took off bucking.

We ride around to the back side and tie up the stock it's about 12:30 and I'm starving. I walk halfway up the rocky ridge and tell Josh I'm stopping to eat something.

He states I'll just walk up a little ways and see if I can if we can find a place to get on these rams.

I walk up the hill and Josh signals me over to him. He states lets go down this rock slide and and peek over. We get to this one spot where we can see in the draw and Josh whispers ram draw. I come to full draw and these rams step out and there all bunched up Josh says shoot one. Their about 48yds away but I know I can't shoot because I'll hit two. They take off!

About 10 seconds later off to are right a single ram comes out and stands at 54yds. Josh says shoot. I come to full draw but the wind is blowing so hard up the little chute I can't keep the pin in the vitals and will make a bad hit so I let down.

Josh says why didn't you shoot him. I told him not a good shot situation. I practice in the wind a lot but this wasn't a good shot period!

08-May-18
It's late afternoon and we ride down to a spot we can glass. Were glassing and Josh whispers ram coming up the same trail we rode up this morning.

He tells me to go down to where buck did his rodeo and wait there. I find a place to hide out of sight and range some rocks. Only have to shoot about 39yds.

I'm sitting there and it's only been about 30 minutes or so and I here josh coming with the stock. He states the ram went on the other side of the other ridge. Josh crawls up this little hill and there is kind of a bench. He signals the ram is headed back the way we came and run up the hill. I'm moved up the hill and Josh comes up behind me and says run. We get to the top on the north side of the bench and the ram is slowing walking he's 51yds. He see us and runs toward the north. He can't go up the rock face it's to steep. We run to this little spot and he stops broadside in the open Josh whispers the range 72yds. Where both breathing hard I relax come to full draw settle the pin and the and the release goes off. Josh states you drilled him. When the rams bolts and goes over into the draw on the opposite side I see pink stuff. I hit him just a little farther back, but It's definitely a killing shot!

08-May-18
Josh spits the ram walking slowly to a little patch of trees and beds down. I can't see him from my position. Josh goes what do you think. I state it's going to get dark in 20 minutes and I recommend we back out and come back in the morning. We sneak out of sight of the ram and down to the stock.

We get back to camp about 9:30pm eat and go to bed.

Day four is over!

08-May-18
I love this thread! Josh is the best! I'm already "pre-booked" with Josh for when I draw. This is going to making waiting until Thursday at 10:00 seem like forever.....

08-May-18
We get up and eat and ride back to the place where we were last night. I'm thanking please no bear found him or wolves.

Josh has me hold the stock and goes up the hill to glass. I tie up the stock and he tells me he needs his spotting scope. He goes back up above me and I have no idea where he's looking. About 5 minutes later he comes down with a disgusted look on his face.

I ask is he still there he looks at the ground not making eye contact with me. I'm thinking or crap. He smiles and states let's go get your ram. Josh states he never made it past those little trees.

It was an awesome feeling to know I'd just achieved a goal of mine to take a sheep with a bow.

What's funny is the ram die right on the same trail we rode out on the day before.

08-May-18

Bowboy's embedded Photo
There's gold in them thar hills!
Bowboy's embedded Photo
There's gold in them thar hills!
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Josh and myself
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Josh and myself
We ride up to the ram and Josh states there's no ground shrinkage.

We take the pictures cape and quarter him out and are back at camp by 10:30am.

Here's some pictures.

08-May-18

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Josh taking a well deserved nap!
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Josh taking a well deserved nap!
This is what guides do when they have a successful hunter.

PS: I was on a hunters high and couldn't nap unlike Josh!

For inquiry minds my ram grosses 164 1/8 and nets 162 7/8.

I couldn't be happier on the outcome of this awesome hunt.

08-May-18
Awesome Congrats! That's a great WY ram and story. Thanks for sharing it.

08-May-18
Awesome

Scott

09-May-18
Awesome! Congrats Craig. Good story.

09-May-18
Now that’s a hunt!! Thanks for Posting and good shooting. Hunt

09-May-18
Congrats! Great story and great hunt!

09-May-18
Awesome ram and write up.. thanks! Well done !!!!

09-May-18
Grats!

09-May-18
Awesome .....killer ram sounds like you had lots of action!!!!

09-May-18
Amazing...

09-May-18
Hunt of a lifetime right there! Thanks for taking us along!

09-May-18
thanks for sharing and great job

09-May-18
Great Ram Bowboy. I love Wyoming.

09-May-18
Thanks for all the nice comments all!

I forgot to add my ram was aged by Josh at 10.5 but the WY G&F aged him at 9.5.

09-May-18
OUTSTANDING!! CONGRATS!

09-May-18
Hell Yes! Congrats Craig and thanks for the story

09-May-18
Awesome stuff. Congrats!

09-May-18
Beautiful ram Bowboy. Congrats on getting it done with your bow!

09-May-18
Congrats!!!! Way to go!!

09-May-18
Congrats! That's awesome, way to go and thanks for sharing!

Any idea on his age? He looks old, 9 or 10?

09-May-18
Now that was awesome! Nice write up and congrats on a great ram! Thanks for sharing.

09-May-18
Awesome congratulations you done did well.

09-May-18
Awesome ram! Even better experience! Congratulations on a hunt of a lifetime and achieving your goal with a fabulous trophy!

09-May-18
CONGRATULATIONS Bowboy! Fantastic ram and hunt!

09-May-18
Congrats, thanks for sharing

09-May-18
Great adventure. Age and physical abilities put me past the "sheep shape" chasing, but I sure enjoy the pics and write up.

09-May-18
Great story and pictures! Put me right there with you. Congratulations on a stud ram!

09-May-18
Nice Job Craig great photos and nice story Cangrats

09-May-18
Good stuff Craig!

09-May-18
Way to go Bowboy! Awesome Ram! Congratulations on a great hunt and thank you for sharing it with us.

09-May-18
Awesome Craig! Thanks for sharing this story.

09-May-18
Congrats ! A real beauty!

09-May-18
Great story and hunt! Congratulations!

09-May-18
Great story! I hope to sheep hunt again one day soon! Congrats.

09-May-18
Congrats! Great story.

09-May-18
Congrats! Great story.

09-May-18
Outstanding story! Hell yeah

09-May-18
Great stuff Craig! TFS!

10-May-18

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Here's my ram mounted.

11-May-18
Very well done. Thank you so much for sharing in an adventure that few of us will have a chance at.

11-May-18
What an adventure. Well done. Thanks for posting. Congrats

11-May-18
That is a great ram in awesome country

11-May-18
Great ram, nice read, thanks for sharing Bowboy.

12-May-18

bud's embedded Photo
bud's embedded Photo
Just saw this. Great write up. My hats off to you Bowboy, to go in there and get it done with a bow. I have been in that country a few times and been humbled. I put in for that sheep unit every year. I have never been on an outfitted our guide hunt in my life but if I draw I would book with an outfitter first thing. Spent half a day in the bar couple years ago on late season cow hunt. Talking to old bearded guy name Jim Blake? he wrote a book on town of Kirwin. He was a living history book. I think about 20 books published. Bar was for sale at that time, hope its still open. Here is a pic of original rosewood bar and my wife practicing bartending lol. Congratulations on a great ram!

12-May-18
Great story, pics and ram congrats!

I love that are and was lucky enough to hunt elk there twice and been to the chocolate shop!

Likely I will never get back there since I will not save enough elk points and I am applying to lesser sheep units.

Again congratulations!

12-May-18
Hey Craig, meeting you here in Ft. Collins at the annual elk together, made this story that much more special. Nicely done all around. my best, Paul

12-May-18
Congrats, beautiful ram.

13-May-18
Great read Craig

Thanks for taking the time to share with us all.

What a Ram!

Good luck, Robb

13-May-18
Congratulations

13-May-18
Great story, pics, and ram, Craig! Congrats again!

14-May-18
Congrats on a great ram and an excellent write up as well, Craig!

14-May-18
Awesome!! Thanks for taking us along!

14-May-18
Congrats, what a beautiful ram.

15-May-18
Phenomenal Craig! You truly deserved it buddy. Well done!!

15-May-18
Phenomenal Craig! You truly deserved it buddy. Well done!!

15-May-18
Congratulations and well done.

15-May-18
Thanks for taking me on that trip Craig I could almost feel it when your horse went nuts! Nice looking ram and memories for life congrats.

15-May-18
Very cool! Congrats and thanks for sharing!

15-May-18
Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Congratulations, Craig!!

15-May-18
Awesome story, thanks for sharing. Congrats on a once in a lifetime animal! Those are some pretty detailed signals you guys are able to give each other!! That had me impressed as much as any part of the story LOL

15-May-18
Craig if I ever draw, you are hired.

15-May-18
Excellent ram and good story! Congratulations!

16-May-18
Congrats on a well earned, long awaited hunt!

18-May-18
Great ram and great story! Congratulations.

20-May-18
Thanks all the kind words. Hopefully I can do another sheep hunt in the future. Just living the dream!

06-Jul-18
Just read this. Thanks for sharing such a GREAT story and a GREAT Hunt! Congrats on an achievement of a lifetime!

07-Jul-18
Just found this one as well. Awesome all the way around. Thanks and congrats!

07-Jul-18
I missed this as well. Must have been bear hunting. Congrats...great story, great ram.

10-Jul-18
Amazing!

10-Jul-18
Nice article in Eastman’s Craig. Congrats again.

14-Jul-18
Yeah, I've been really busy and Wyobullshooter told me the other day it was in EBJ. I guess I need to check the mail more often!

13-Aug-18
Great story! Thanks for taking the time to share!

• Sitka Gear