loprofile 10-May-18
TD 10-May-18
Deertick 10-May-18
MarkU 10-May-18
Glunt@work 11-May-18
elkstabber 11-May-18
Glunt@work 11-May-18
10-May-18
Anybody catch the CBS 60 Minutes episode about outdoor photographer Tom Mangelson? He is without question a truly amazing photographer whose photos I've admired for decades. They joined him outside Jackson Hole to photograph grizzly #399, the most photographed bear in the world. Apparently this bear lives not far from the highway between Jackson and Yellowstone. He states that hunters have told him they would love to shoot bear #399 because it would make such a great trophy because it is so well known. He is obviously fighting the grizz hunting season in Wyoming. I've got to call B.S. on this. First of all, the hunting area will likely be a good distance from Grand Teton National Park thus keeping #399 safe. Second, what kind of idiot would shoot a bear that is practically tame and surrounded by photographers most of the time? Especially considering the Cecil the Lion circus. I can't imagine a hunter making this statement. Granted, there are idiots in every bunch, but still.

I was also haunted by the words of his buddy Jane Goodall, also interviewed in the segment. She stated, "We don't win people over to our cause by convincing their mind, we win them by convincing their heart."

10-May-18
Unfortunately, there are plenty of braggarts in the hunting field who I’m sure have expressed that on any given day amongst groups of people viewing the bear. They are the ones in my opinion who do not portray hunting in a positive light. Have you not been to an archery shop where you cringe listening to a fellow hunter?

10-May-18
I haven't been to an archery shop in 15-20 years. I'll take your word for it. Those braggarts/idiots have no idea how much harm they are doing to bowhunting.

10-May-18
If he's outside the park, he's not safe from the season unless he's on private or next to a highway. They specifically added language to the season rules to keep bears from being shot in front of tourists.

Seriously though, this sort of thing more than anything would jeopardize the new season that is so needed to get a hold on problem bears in the GYSE.

10-May-18
We don’t need anti hunters to mess things up for us. We just eliminate the middleman and do it to ourselves

10-May-18
Bou'bound is so right. Don't give your enemy bullets!

We were north of Coldfoot one year and a good black bear was feeding in the borrow ditch. I walked to within 10 yards as another group watched from the other side of the road in their truck. Walked over and told them I don't shoot tame animals. They laughed and we all drove off.

10-May-18
Yeah, I saw it. That whole story was garbage! Typical media propaganda.

We have a lot of black bears in our area that get fed and lose their fear of humans. Some of them even get named. Like pets. I hate that.

IMHO, if a bear is taken legally, I don't care if it happens to be one of these named bears. they usually become problem bears anyway, so you are doing the local community a favor by taking them out of the equation.

Of course, if I was to get one of these bears I would snap a few pics, and quietly take it to the taxidermist. No sense stirring the pot by posting it all over social media.

10-May-18
I saw it too.... Some of his photos were amazing....

LOL.. agree. we will mess it up ourselves...

10-May-18
Rut, I bet you're thinking back to 2010 when Bozo was killed in Bushkill (legally). That was the first thing I thought of when I read this thread.

10-May-18
Yes Jethro, although it was questionable whether that one was actually legal(safety zone violation?). Also thinking of "Pedals" the bear in NJ and a few others shot just outside of private communities here in the Poconos over the years.

10-May-18
" they would love to shoot bear #399 " Much better if they said the would love to "harvest and eat" him

10-May-18
Folks are assuming he was really, seriously, told that. The "honesty" of an anti-hunter goes only up to if what they falsely claim may be justified for the cause. In fact the vast majority of their claims are based on what they THINK what someone else is "thinking" or what they "would" say....

Even if actually said..... for all I know it was a buddy of his yankin' his chain......

10-May-18
Amazing photographer. I doubt he has any major reason to "take sides" ... until something like this is said. Now, maybe he's just a jerk willing to lie to further "his side". I doubt it. And I've met people on our side who are so abrasive to have said something that insensitive. A hardcore anti might deserve language like that. A non-hunter who could be an ally regarding conservation doesn't. Once people hear language like that -- they don't un-hear it.

10-May-18
The guy used to be an avid hunter. Just would rather take pictures now, and he's good at it.

#399 is a sow that has raised at least two sets of triplets and a few sets of twins. She stays out of trouble even though she lives close to a lot of people. If someone shot her, that would probably be the end of grizzly hunting in Wyoming.

11-May-18
399 mauled a guy in 2007. I didn't catch the program, did they mention that? Sounds like it was triggered by the guy stumbling into her and her cubs feeding on an elk.

11-May-18
Does anybody else find it ironic that Tom Mangelson (the photographer) makes his living by photographing wildlife that we pay to manage? What I mean is that we hunters contribute to the management of wildlife by purchasing hunting licenses and equipment (Pittman Robertson act) and yet a photographer doesn't contribute to wildlife management. I'm not saying that he's not a decent fellow but here he is making his living off of wildlife yet photographers are not required to support the wildlife.

11-May-18
It's dripping with irony. Think about what commercial endeavors profit from wildlife. Now add up how much they pay directly to State wildlife agencies like hunters do.

• Sitka Gear