Ben 13-May-18
eddie c 14-May-18
JusPassin 14-May-18
Fuzzy 14-May-18
eddie c 14-May-18
Fuzzy 14-May-18
Fuzzy 18-May-18
11-May-18
I do a lot of hunting out of my truck..camp is rolling and not really setting up camp...usually dinner time rolls around, I'm tired and the thought of setting up a stove in the cab of my trucks...leaving some dirty pots...dishes etc..has be mostly bringing cold stuff. I saw some cig plug microwaves and thought it would be great to have some pre made meals...zap it... eat a hot meal and let the tupperware container stay dirty until I get home...

Anybody have any experience with these???

12-May-18
Ted, do you have a link? I know my camper microwave needs around 1400 watts for startup power, which is right on the hairy edge of what my re-jetted Honda 2000 generator will produce at 9000 feet with everything else disconnected (I run a separate extension cord and bypass the camper control box/inverter).

Can't imagine a 12 volt cig lighter would power any sort of microwave but maybe the 110 plug with the engine running?

12-May-18
Lou that's what I'm thinking...engine running...

12-May-18
Get to the manifold and put the food in a can. Engine heat worked in northern MN when it was 25 below.

12-May-18

huntinelk's embedded Photo
huntinelk's embedded Photo
I went this route, large inverter mounted in the bed. I haven't tried a microwave yet, but it will run a large radiant heater and a freezer at the same time. The inverter is a little pricey, but you could swap it into a new truck when you swap vehicles and you can buy regular cheapo appliances, no need for special 12v stuff.

12-May-18
they still have cig lighters in vehicles?

12-May-18
It's called an IPhone charger.

12-May-18
Jetboil and Mountainhouse or canned ravioli with the whole top fit right inside perfectly. I heard from a vehicle lot and this works great and it’s quick easy and no dishes

12-May-18
Jetboil and mountain House meals.. no dirty dishes and a hot meal, mission accomplished! Or MREs with the little heater bags

12-May-18
Or if freeze dried meals aren't your thing... Prepare your meal, put them in vacuum sealed bags ( because I don't think regular zip locks are robust enough for this technique), get water to a rolling boil in jetboil, put sealed bag in a tin loaf pan, pour the boiling water over and cover with foil for 10 minutes.... And if you really want the experience of doing dishes when you get home, serve on a fancy plate, if not use a paper plate or bowl or enjoy right out of the bag!

12-May-18
Or... This is one of my Basecamp delicacies.. I buy those family size stouffers lasagnas.. bake it, cut it up into portion sizes and put in those disposable mini loaf pans with the cardboard lid, freeze them... When ready to eat at camp, I just put them the grill for about 25 minutes! I can get back to camp after a long day and put one right on the grill while I change clothes and clean up.. No mess no dishes to clean

12-May-18
http://www.uniquetruck.com/product/35125/hot-logic-mini-personal-portable-oven?affiliateID=10056&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpLCPjZKA2wIVA4bICh18uA4MEAQYASABEgLUs_D_BwE

Seems like a really good idea frozen dinners are cheap and really good. For the price I would definitely say give it a whirl

12-May-18
Like DonV Google, Cigarette lighter Microwaves and read pros and cons and their full potential to deliver.

12-May-18
In about a week it will pay for itself in the savings of buying frozen dinners versus mountain house plus they taste better

12-May-18
They make them for Class 8 trucks. I ran a quick Google search for 12v microwave ovens and found quite a few. Maybe one of the models listed will work for your idea.

12-May-18
Let us know on a separate post what you decide!

13-May-18
Don that looks like a good maybe.....do you have experience with it??? I am thinking it might take a long time to get it all hot if it starts off cold... and the plastic container sample they show in the picture will melt....if you go to tin you might as well use a stove with flame???

13-May-18
Yep. Inverter, problem solved.

13-May-18
900 watts at 12v is 75 amps! Most 12v outlets are rated for 15 amps max.

13-May-18
The lasagna reminded me of an elk hunt I did several years ago. We drove from eastern Kansas to the San Juans and The son of one of the guys was with us. He ate lasagna his mom made on the drive out and everyday for the next four days. Finally his dad ask him where he was getting the lasagna as he had checked all the coolers and couldn't find it. The 19 year old said it was still in the pan he was keeping under the seat of the truck. The old man went and got what was left and threw it away. I guess what you don't know can't hurt you as the kid never got sick.

14-May-18
"900 watts at 12v is 75 amps! Most 12v outlets are rated for 15 amps max." Several years ago we found this issue with some inverters at work. our inhouse garage started hard wiring the inverters into the trucks' electric system.

14-May-18
Do your searching on trucker web sites. All kinds of stuff for those guys that might work for you.

14-May-18
"they still have cig lighters in vehicles? "

yep, I haven't seen fit to delete it from my '89 Ford pickup, and my 2005 RAM came with a lighter in the ASH TRAY, and a socket for those little 12 V pluggy nuggy things with the USB notch in em that you can charge all sorts of devices with, the RAM also has hand crank windows and manual door locks.

14-May-18
Fuzzy's post reminded me that one of my friends bought a new Chevy a few months ago. the back console has a 120v AC outlet from the factory for charging laptops.

14-May-18
eddie c I've seen those. I had a farm truck several years ago I hardwired a 600 W inverter under the hood and added a deep cycle battery in series, so I could use 120 V tools remote from the house/barns. The idea had to evolve.

18-May-18
(I wired the two batteries in parallel, not in series, duh!?)

• Sitka Gear