HDE 17-May-18
buckfevered 17-May-18
x-man 17-May-18
Pyrannah 17-May-18
LINK 17-May-18
Brotsky 17-May-18
smarba 17-May-18
17-May-18
530 gr Gold tip w 175 gr 4 bld phathead. 350 lbs bear, slightly quartering to frontal shot. 16 yds, bear sitting, white chevron on chest as target. Hit close side lateral to chevron as intended. Arrow sticking out as he blew down hill. Broke at 10 yds and fell to ground. 30” arrow. Penetration was 24” based on blood/grease line on base fragment. Bear piled up 70 yds away. As I gutted the behemoth, I finally found end fragment in pelvis. The broadhead was completely hubbed in pelvic bone. Have any of u ever seen this? Arrow breaks in half and forward fragment keeps going while back fragment doesn’t get full penetration?

17-May-18
I believe you got full penetration on the initial shot. You need energy to stick a broad head into bone. I have had heads break off and carve up the organs but only to the extent of making a series of nicks and gouges. Those first 10 yards of barreling from the impact could very well have wiped some of the blood, grease and fluid off the arrow shaft? Congrats on the big bruin.

17-May-18
Lighted nock in low light. I could see that arrow back never penetrated. Fletching totally clean.

17-May-18
Plus bear squared 6’ 10” so arrow could not have gone to pelvis and back out from frontal shot

17-May-18
Which is why physics theory is very limited on BS to explain most things archery...

17-May-18
Bear sitting so pelvis was up close to chest. Initial hit, arrow penetrates and sticks in pelvis before bear even begins to move (split seconds). Upon first movement, with broadhead stuck in pelvis, front shoulder breaks arrow up front leaving it exposed as he jumps and runs. All happens fast in first 1/2 - 3/4 second arrow arrives and bear begins to move. Just a theory.

17-May-18
I agree with buckfevered.

17-May-18
I like that theory

17-May-18
I bet buckfever has it or is really close.

17-May-18
It's almost like buckfevered was there! House money is on his theory.

17-May-18
There was a second shooter...LOL

• Sitka Gear