PO Cedar 03-Jun-18
IdyllwildArcher 03-Jun-18
t-roy 04-Jun-18
TexasBuck 30-Jun-18
TexasBuck 30-Jun-18
Bou'bound 30-Jun-18
Charlie Rehor 30-Jun-18
18-May-18
hey does anyone have first hand experience with either Browning's Rain Slayer or Badlands Alpha Jackets in heavy all day rain conditions? i'm trying to not bust the bank but really want to stay dry. thanks guys

18-May-18
I don't know anything about either brand, but if they have a separate liner and are goretex, they aren't what you are looking for. You will sweat the liner wet and then if remote camping without a stove, won't get it dry until you get home.

19-May-18
Are you looking for all day Alaska type rain gear or small packable rain gear you always carry in your pack for an afternoon storm?

19-May-18
I suspect you aren’t gettIng much traction with this thread because not a lot of guys here have used either of those (much less both). And as many bowsite threads maybe kinda getting away from your original question, but if you want real rain protection you should look to a hard shell, none of that fleece crap with a liner. I personally like Cabelas space rain for early season western hunts as a “keep it in my pack all the time” rain gear, but certainly don’t reccomend it for all day(s) rain. When I’m expecting good chances of steady rain but consider weight i go to the Kuiu Chugach. And for a serious wet weather trip i use Kuiu Yukon.

None of those are what you asked about, but I have no experience with them, but I think rain gear is a place to not skimp, been there and done that, not too fun...

—Jim

19-May-18
In heavy all day rain staying completely dry is virtually impossible if you are doing anything.

I've tried several and the best I've found is KUIU Yukon. Definitely not the least expensive. For cost effective light weight pack rain gear it's hard to beat Cabela's Space Rain.

I have some older Browning rain gear, not the kind you asked about, and it was disappointing.

19-May-18
Greg, why you gotta to cheat off my paper!?! I think we were typing at the same time, and basically said the same thing ;)

—Jim

19-May-18
Good rain gear is well worth every penny! Try to find a sale on Kuiu or Sitka...or a nearly new pair for sale somewhere on classifieds. They have a lifetime guarantee, are very light weight, compact, and breath well. Make sure the rain jacket you buy has pitzips to allow air flow. I wouldn't buy a rain jacket without pitzips.

On a budget I would seriously look at Sierra Trading post's Precip Marmot rainpants and jacket. They are just as good as my Sitka but unfortunately aren't camo. I use brown or green for fishing trips in Alaska where I'm almost always living in rain or drizzle for several weeks. They breath well and the jacket has pitzips. You can likely get a Precip jacket and pants for $50 each with coupon codes. I have 3 pairs of Precip to go along with my Sitka raingear when I don't want to wear camo.

19-May-18
Based on your "not bust the bank" consider the Helly Hensen Impertech. Not light, but with it's super thin inner coating you can open the coat, face downwind and it will dry in a rain.

You probably should describe where you will wear it.

19-May-18
Impertech doesn't seem to be made any longer. or impertech 2 either.

19-May-18
JT I guess great minds think alike!

19-May-18
X2 for Frogg Toggs Ground Hunter! I was just packing gear for a turkey hunt. I bought some more expensive gear at Cabelas. Was supposed to be great stuff, but I sweat in them and soon wet on the inside.

19-May-18
Take a look at the price and reviews! https://www.sierratradingpost.com/marmot-precip-jacket-waterproof-for-men~p~116un/?filterString=s~marmot-preci%2F

You can usually get an additional 20 to 25% coupon so that's an incredible deal! Beats the heck out of some of the other raingear mentioned above! The pants also work great! If it's super rainy and I'm not working/hiking much in Alaska I often wear rubber Helly Hensen with pitzips. If the rain jacket doesn't have pitzips continue looking!

19-May-18
I hunted in BC with a guide who had brand new Marmot Precip a few years ago. I was his first hunter of the year, we hunted moose and goats for 12 days in rain gear every single day if I’m not mistaken. His Marmot was shredded by the end of that 2 weeks. I think he was really happy when I left him my Chugach to finish out his season. Yeah the Kuiu costs more, but no comparison in my experience. For light use I think it is probably just fine though.

—Jim

19-May-18
Don't know if it's being made, but the HH Impertech can be bought at several sites.

19-May-18
I’ll unfortunately agree with the comments above. Chugach when packing in, Yukon for a coastal Kodiak type hunt.

Chugach is the best rain gear on the market IMO when you balance durability with weight.

19-May-18
I would be curious what type of country was shredding the Marmots? I've had mine on numerous Alaska hunts with no problem? I once hiked through willows that beavers had cut off. The willow "spears" cut the bottoms of a pair of Sitka rain pants...but never a problem in regular willows or alders? I even wore both Marmot and Sitka in devils' club jungles without problems?

20-May-18
I shredded my cabelas space rain in no time elk hunting, only reason I had it was my sitka was worn out, then I found out they have a lifetime warranty, a few pics and emails and I a couple weeks later they sent me new stuff, buy once cry once!!

20-May-18
Guess I should pay more attention with my cabelas stuff.

Don’t think I’ve ever returned stuff that I wore out with “normal “ use (fly rods, boots, clothing, etc). Have bought and worn out several sets of space rain over the years.

I had a set of space rain that I shredded on a horseback hunt in NWT. The pants were shredded the first long day of riding and I just tossed them in the fire rather than take them out. Luckily I had wool pants that kept me warm in the wet snow and rain for the rest of the hunt. The guides were using KUIU Chugatch and Yukon hard. It was staying together for what could be described as extreme abuse.

I bought a set of Chugatch when I got home. Expensive, yes but should last a lifetime of tough use.

For coastal Alaska bear hunting, I have used the Helly-Hanson rubber stuff (not sure if it’s impertec or not). Worked great in the salt spray on the boat and all the rain on that hunt. My buddy recommended rubberized rain gear for that hunt and said that goretex would be useless for the combined salt and rain in that area. I will use the KUIU next time.

I have no experience with either of the brands the OP asked about. If you are going to be hunting in heavy rain (NW coast or coastal Alaska) then you will want something without fleece - more of a slick material - and, as has been mentioned above, pit zips to allow you to cool off. BTW, not sure that camo is all that necessary brown or green will work just fine.

20-May-18
Sitka lifetime warranty is real. I bought my downpour pants and jacket in 2006 or so. The velcro wrist straps wore out and at 10 or so years old I sent them in for repair, instead got a whole brand new set of the latest version. I was shocked. You can buy multiple sets of cheapo rain gear and in the end my Sitka is much cheaper. Best rain gear I have ever used. The only knock is it is noisier than I'd like when on the move.

Close second and much quieter when moving is my Russell APX....and that won't break the bank.

20-May-18
They do not make the Russel apx anymore. And from my experience it was only ok. My leg zippers always leaked. The jacket worked well. I still have and enjoy the first light storm tite boundary. Though that has been replaced as well. Picked up a kuiu yukon jacket off a fb sale group for 200 bucks in the off season. If that thing leaks everyone is in trouble! The guides in caribou camp wore them. I learned why the hard way.

20-May-18
I have Impertech Deluxe and Cabelas space rain. They both serve their puposes well, and you could buy a couple of each for the retail cost of the more expensive gear.

Take care. Mike

20-May-18
I've had a set of Cabelas MTO50's, jacket & pants, bought in 1999 the set cost about $375.00, not sure what they cost now or if they even make them any more. I haven't had any issues with this set and even today they are still in perfect condition, and I test them every year by standing in the shower-I know it sounds odd but how else are you going to test rain gear without a major storm. As mentioned above nothing is 100% when it is raining all day long for days on end. A good set of rain gear is worth the price if your only using them when you hunt, I look at how long mine has lasted and am glad I spent the money.

21-May-18
Cheap, dry, and lasts falls within the same paradigm as good, fast, and cheap when it comes to rain gear. The OP stated that that he really wants to stay dry. Also, there is really expensive rain gear that will not last and will not keep you dry.

If you really want to stay dry I would heed the advice above.

21-May-18
thanks so much for he help on this guys. kinda got the answers i was afraid i would. i love the Kuiu stuff i have, but have been shy about spending up for their rain gear. i'm buying now for a wyoming elk hunt in sept that has a decent chance of being pretty dry. but i expect i'll make it to Alaska before long so buying with that in mind.

again, thanks for the feedback guys.

25-May-18
grunden's has some decent stuff for the price

29-May-18
Hunted a week on Kodiak in Kuiu Yukon rain gear. Good stuff.

29-May-18
I've added a small ight weight Umbrella to my backpack.

$10 @ Wally-world

Unless the wind is terribly strong blowing it really is nice in helping keeping me dry. And very nice for when I get out of the direct rain/snow under a pine tree and maybe start a fire to wait out the rain/snow in Wyoming

#LovinLife

Robb

29-May-18
I also have a set of Cabela's MT050 that I bought in '99. I wear it whitetail hunting once in a while but it doesn't work well for a pack-in elk hunt because the fleece outer gets soaked with water and takes forever to dry. It's pretty bulky too...

My go-to for elk hunting is Space Rain and I have a First Lite Boundary Stormtight jacket when I'm expecting heavier rain.

For fishing in Canada I use the HH rubberized stuff.

My experience with older Frogg Toggs is that water soaked through my butt if I was sitting on a boat seat.

03-Jun-18

03-Jun-18
KUIU Yukon is really worth the money. It's just such good gear. If you're really going to get rained on or get drizzled on all day, it's really amazing stuff.

04-Jun-18
Another vote for the Kuiu Chugach. The Cabelas Space Rain is good stuff too, but I wouldn’t depend on it in extremely adverse conditions.

30-Jun-18
Sitka.... Life Time Warranty.... buy once, cry once.....

30-Jun-18
Hunted SW Colorado a few years ago and a Tropical Storm drove right up through there. Rained hard two days. Wearing the Sitka I stayed pretty dry except for boots, but had back up pair and just rotated leaving other pair near tent stove all day. Agree with JTreeman above.... whatever brand you choose, don't skimp and as with any trip to mountains, routine hunt can turn into a survival situation if something goes wrong. Rain gear can keep you alive as well as comfortable....

30-Jun-18
Yukon

30-Jun-18
All Sitka, all the time. If you also want quiet get the Thunderhead Pants and Jacket in Sub-Alpine

• Sitka Gear