Tonybear61 20-May-18
Ziek 20-May-18
bud 20-May-18
cubdrvr 20-May-18
sir misalots 21-May-18
PECO 21-May-18
Kodiak 21-May-18
19-May-18
Although I have three commercial blinds I do t really like hunting out of them. They have their places though. I like making ground blinds out of what nature provides.

Do you have a preferred method of making natural ground blinds?

Post some pictures if you have some.

19-May-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Because of the ever changing winds and early morning currents, I like using a natural blind, and like this one, just backed up into the shadows next to a large blow down. Killed this buck at 21 yards.

19-May-18
I ain't near the hunter Paul is, but I've hunted with success from camo netting (military style) hung between two or three trees with a few sticks stuck in the ground to give it a brushpile effect. Pretty quick and easy too.

19-May-18

killed this Coues buck at noon as he came by checking out does. Lots of advantages of hunting off the ground and being able to set up quickly.
killed this Coues buck at noon as he came by checking out does. Lots of advantages of hunting off the ground and being able to set up quickly.
while not totally a natural blind, while Coues deer hunting in AZ, I used this camo netting and then just backed into a semi circle of brush.

20-May-18

cubdrvr's embedded Photo
cubdrvr's embedded Photo
I used half a hay bale feeder covered with cattails.

20-May-18

cubdrvr's embedded Photo
cubdrvr's embedded Photo
It was on a waterhole this past year. It was a low water fall and we had huge runoff this spring so it’s partially submerged now.

20-May-18
I prefer natural ground blinds wherever possible. Feels more natural. I'll post some of my plains deer blinds when I get to a computer.

What I like to do is build them in the transition travel routes between feeding and bedding. I build them at night after the deer are out feeding. Make sure to factor the sun so it's shadow when you want to hunt. I sometimes use a camo Elk Mountain umbrella for shade and I can alter it as the sun moves. Then I put out decoys to draw their attention. All my big muleys and whitetails have been shot from the ground.

20-May-18

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
How to build them and what to use, depends on what you have to work with. They can be elaborate, or not. They work best if you can stay comfortable while being concealed. Here are a few I've built.

20-May-18

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo

20-May-18

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
We call this one Fort Wapiti.

20-May-18
I have seen some people use welded wire cattle panels. Bend them in a half circle and tie each end to a tree or stake them with T-post. Use bolt cutters to cut out shooting holes. And then you can put whatever you have available to weave into the squares. Like grass, green limbs. Or you can use some wire and wire bigger branches and limbs to it

20-May-18

Tonybear61's embedded Photo
Aerial view of successful blind
Tonybear61's embedded Photo
Aerial view of successful blind
If allowed dig a hole for your feet and bow so you are closer to the ground. Have plenty of brush, sticks, front and back-cover. My favorites are finding a tree which has fallen into another downed tree forming a canopy. That way you have dark shade just like a commercial blind. If you need to fill in with a 1/2 blind, netting that works too. Unfortunately you can't choose the trail these tress fall next to.

My favorite chair is a Mac sports with a added butt pad. Also can just sit on the ground ,lean back against a tree if you have a hole for the feet and the lower bow limb. Be careful though, deer scare you when they snort 5 feet away and you are snoring while taking a nap...

20-May-18

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
More formal "natural" blinds I like for pronghorn hunting are lot more work. But they're so much more comfortable and effective than tents, they're worth it.

20-May-18
love your old static curve cubdrvr, even if its wrong handed. Nice buck. I don't know a lot about coues but Im thinking Pauls is really good one!

20-May-18
Bud, That’s actually a dual shelf and I shot hin right handed. First critter ever as I’m left eye dominate (but right handed for everything else). Spent winter learning; goal was to shoot something right handed. He only went 10 yards and expired so it worked out!

21-May-18
yes will soon be building one Ive found less is more at times. Enough to break up human outline. Some leaves that move helps hide movement. But commercial ones have their place. Can be quite cozy

21-May-18
What about snakes and pitt blinds? I like to tuck into a blow down or heavy brush on a fields edge.

21-May-18
Dang Ziek, that thing is a work of art!

• Sitka Gear