RutnStrut 24-May-18
TrapperKayak 24-May-18
GF 24-May-18
TrapperKayak 25-May-18
GF 25-May-18
23-May-18

'Ike' (Phone)'s Link
Tough and lucky young lady...

A woman working her “dream job” as a bear researcher walked two miles with a fractured skull after being mauled by a grizzly last Thursday in northwestern Montana, officials said.

23-May-18
wow!

23-May-18
That sucks so much. I hope she recovers well.

23-May-18
It’s amazing the Griz didn’t (totally) crush her skull!

And that she was able to deploy her spray.

The Good Lord was surely watching over her!

23-May-18
That is one lucky and tough lady!

24-May-18
Wow! what toughness!

24-May-18
That was an impressive recovery.... tough lady.

A grizz season is soooo needed.

24-May-18
I read some of the responses ..... some of these liberal morons don't have a clue!

24-May-18
That's why my dream job was fish research. Glad she lived, hope she recovers quickly.

24-May-18
Chalk one up for the spray......

Best wishes for her speedy recovery.

24-May-18
Hopefully she recovers quickly and fully. My question is. Why the hell was she or anyone with a job like this working solo?

24-May-18
Budget cuts.

24-May-18
"That's why my dream job was fish research."

Careful what you wish for! There was a guy studying Carp, and while they were seining a pond, a big carp jumped out the water to escape the net, thrashed through the air and smacked the kid head-to-head. Knocked him out cold and he didn't make it out of the pond alive. Or not alive enough to stay that way....

Once she gets better, she may find a long list of gentlemen comin' to call....

She's surely tough than most, and that's really saying something when you consider that women are tougher than we are. Ask any man who's been in a delivery room...

25-May-18
'There was a guy studying Carp, and while they were seining a pond, a big carp jumped out the water to escape the net, thrashed through the air and smacked the kid head-to-head.' That was most likely to be a grass carp, not a common carp. They are known for that. 'Careful what you wish for!' True that... Here's why: My third day on the job on the Columbia River in 1994, we were in a 23' MonArk flat bottom trawler with a V6 Volvo and gunwales rigged with hydraulic winches on both sides, feeding cables through pulleys rigged on a stanchion hooked up to a 400# beam trawl bottom net stationary setup. The intention is to keep the net in one place while positioning the boat in the current above and ahead of it, keeping tension on the cables. This is not an easy thing to do when there is a 15 knot current downstream in 40' of water next to a rock ledge, with the wind blowing close to 25 knots and 250K cfs running out of John Day Dam. In fact, it was darn challenging for the boat operator, and even more so when the net hung up on the rocks on the bottom and we tried to pull it up. Not! I was the rookie manning the net on the fan-tail, and the winch operator tried reeling tehn both in equally. It would not budge. Immediately, the boat swung to the side and the cable started tipping it over. Capt. yelled 'Cut it loose!' So I grabbed the bolt cutters and proceeded to snip the first winch cable which was on the starboard gunwale, about 2 inches from going under water. I was standing on the gunwale and the boat was nearly on its side - the floor vertical next to me. I snipped it, and the whole boat popped backwards and almost threw me out, but kept swinging downstream and about to suck us under when I popped the second winch cable and we floated free of our giant 'anchor'. The boat capt. was as white as a ghost. We dodged a bullet that time, and he said 'Welcome to fisheries research on the Columbia, my friend!" We lost a $2000.00 net but saved the boat and our butts. I worked on the river 3 years, and had many other scares and near mishaps, all very much eye opening big water experiences. Then two weeks after I started a new job (desk), my boss and another co-worker DID lose a much larger boat in the same exact manner, but this happened so fast that it pulled them under completely. They got out, barely but survived. Recovered the boat a few days later in the tailrace of the Hanford Reach on the mid Columbia. Probably that was more hairy than a griz attack actually.

25-May-18
Believe is was a grass carp - White Amur, maybe?

Most people have NO CLUE how dangerous a place a boat can be....

• Sitka Gear