TD 26-May-18
MDW 26-May-18
buzz mc 26-May-18
Charlie Rehor 26-May-18
LINK 26-May-18
SaddleReaper 01-Jun-18
midwest 01-Jun-18
24-May-18
Been reading a lot about Hunting from a saddle. Is it comfortable and safe and quiet? Inform me please

25-May-18
I think it would be interesting. A couple evenings ago my wife and I rode to within about 10 yards of a nice antelope buck. Actually he came to us a lot more than we came to him. He couldn’t have cared less about us. If you’re going to try it be sure to shoot near your horse so it gets used to the sound. Also, get on it and wave your bow around (calmly) so it gets used to that visual.

25-May-18
I think Robbo is asking about trees slings. If so, I tried it a couple of times and didn't like it. Not very comfortable for me.

25-May-18
I think you mean from an ambush type saddle. . . . like a tree-saddle. . . ?

I have one. I used it pretty hard for a couple years. I'm not a fan. It works in a pinch, or for shorter hunts, but it's not comfortable for me for long periods. I did some all day sits in mine, and they were miserable.

One big thing I don't like about it is the inability to add bibs while you're in the saddle. I frequently have a 1/2 mile or more walk to stand sites, usually up a ridge or two, and I overheat on the way in, and it will take me an hour or so to cool off, which is when I'll put on my bibs and heavier layers. That is impossible in a tree-saddle.

You also pretty much need to wear kneepads or your knees get pretty sore (or at least mine did). And then my feet start giving me trouble because they're just resting on treesteps for long periods of time. (maybe I'm just a wuss)

I still have mine. And won't get rid of it. But I prefer a hang on stand.

25-May-18
Comfort varies based on proper fit, personal preference, and how minimalist you want your standing platform to be. Technique is commonly divided into sitters and leaners with each having some technique differences for comfort. Some guys stand on bolts or steps which is not for me. Some stand on mini treestand platforms which is my preference.

They are quiet. They do offer 360 degree shooting. Shooting from it has been the hardest part for me to get used to, particularly the drop shot. But like anything if you practice you pick it up.

If you are using your gear properly they are theoretically safer because they can completely eliminate fall factor, there shouldn't be slack in your system.

25-May-18
The horse saddle would be cooler. But, I had a tree saddle years ago as well. They are really nice if you don’t have ideal tree stand trees but the key is to find a spot with a proper foot rest. I think I actually got busted less in the saddle. I wouldn’t have described it as comfortable though.

25-May-18
Over on the Leatherwall there are many that use them and even show how they build them and solve the "knee pad" thing....quite interesting. I believe they use a seat like a Bosons (sp) Chair not a sling.

26-May-18
Love my saddle. As far as tree stands it's pretty much all we use now..... having had 3 of our last 5 stands stolen. Can set up dozens of trees and choose whichever you like at the time.

Alot of our areas are small..... as small as 5 acres. Any pressure just wandering around and these axis are gone. They sense any pressure they are gone. Trees are pretty much all you have in those cases. Hunt the edges and hope for a mistake. Saddles are the prefect answer. Probably killed half my deer last year out of a stand.... all my stands are saddles.

Always use knee pads. Tree limbs and pins for your feet are the key. We don't do 12 hour sits here but 4 to 6 hours aren't hard. I find myself falling asleep in it all the time.... Love the flexibility and the athletic nature of them. In reality when set up right you are actually "hiding" behind the tree for your shot rather than stuck out in mid air in front of it. In several years I have missed two shots from it. One was on me and a brain fart on yardage..... the other was a major string jump..... these axis are string jumpin' sons for sure..... the straps you can actually use in many cases as a "rest" to shoot from. Can lean into a shot from near any angle with no fear of falling.

26-May-18
A buddy of mine used a tree saddle one year, set a huge number of hours, thought it was the greatest thing going. May have just been a coinsiodence but he developed blood clots in his legs and almost lost one of them. I would not use the tree saddle for very long sets!

26-May-18
I had one for several years. I liked it and it certainly had its applications. I just couldn't get comfortable in it and would start to figit and move around too much on longer sits. I sold it and just use a Lone Wolf and sticks now.

26-May-18
Saddles are a great place to ambush sneaky bucks. I like hunting them at pinch points:)

26-May-18

LINK's Link
I see you guys talking about hunting saddles and all I can think about is that song by Mel Tillis. ;)

01-Jun-18

SaddleReaper's Link
Robbo,

I bought my tree saddle in 08... comfort was a major concern after suffering a vertebrae fracture in my L5 a few years prior. I have had no comfort issues. However like some have mentioned already, they take some getting used to, and even I sometimes fidget finding that sweet spot for stance. Knee pads are a must. I am fairly athletic and young so it fits my motivated style of hunting. Saddle hunting is unmatched by any other elevated hunting method in terms of packability for an entire mobile hunting system, maneuverability, and flexibility for tree selection IMO. I can be set up and ready to hunt from any tree 6" up to 30" diam. or so, in about 6-8 minutes, and quietly!! The only trees (in my area) that suck to hunt from are shag bark hickory and cherry - the bark is crackly when tightening rope tethers/ foot holds- but they would be noisy for any type of treestand to be setup on the fly.

As far as safety - I've never felt more safe while hunting elevated position, than when hunting from my saddle. It serves as a saddle and harness in 1. I run 11mm Sterling super static 2 rope for my linemans rope and tree tether. The break strength is over 6K lbs. Plus the ropes are always in my sight and or going through my hands, therefore any damage would be detected. Can you say that every time you climb into your treestand you know the ratched straps etc arent compromised?? I know I check hang on stand straps before the season, loosen during off season if the stand stays up, but hardly remeber to check them during the season. This entire practice of leaving stands hung - which I would venture the majority of hunters do, leaves openings for strap failures to go unnoticed and ultimately accidents to happen.

Check out a new saddle that just hit the market. The Tethrd Mantis. Developed by saddle hunters with years of experience.

Also check out saddlehunter.com for the best saddle hunting forum with a plethora of information on the method.

https://tethrdnation.com/

01-Jun-18
I thought I was finally going to find out what a smoked saddle was! :-(

• Sitka Gear