25-May-18

Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo

25-May-18
At this point. You name and I've probably done it with venison. My favorite is still dry rubbed, bacon wrapped, and cooked over a fire...

25-May-18
sounds good Casey

25-May-18
Butterfly tenderloin chops,seared,then slow cooked with mushroom soup,served with sourdough biscuits,and okra,corn,and tomatoes.with a blue ribbon in a frosty mug.,also roast in slow cooker with onion soup mix rubbed on.

25-May-18
It all looks great!

For steaks, I like good ol' SPG and seared super fast in either ghee or bacon fat.....VERY rare.

25-May-18
Slate, you are all over it! Consider the recipe to be completed within the next two to three weeks. Stew, Tacos, burritos, Southern fried, chili, in a crock with brown gravy and my least preferred is trying to cook like a normal beef steak.

25-May-18
i will try these thanks gentleman

25-May-18

Joey Ward's embedded Photo
Joey Ward's embedded Photo
I'm old fashioned. :-)

25-May-18
Nothing wrong with that Joey

25-May-18
Try venison marsala, family favorite. Look up chicken marsala or sometimes the marsala wine has a recipe on it for amounts to use. Sauté mushrooms in butter or oil and set aside (if I don't have any mushrooms I like to use onions as well). I butterfly backstraps or rear steaks, pound flat (I use one of those kitchen hammers with knobs on them to tenderize as well). Dredge in flour mixture (flour, salt, pepper, parm. cheese) and quick fry to brown outside (in oil or butter). Don't overcook, just fast fry and put aside on a plate. After all the venison cutlets are browned, add them back in to the pan with the mushrooms, marsala wine and water (ratio is 3/4 cup wine to 1/4 cup of water or similar if you need more). Keep heat on medium and keep moving venison around so sauce bubbles and thickens. The flour on the venison and in the pan will help sauce thicken after a few minutes and then serve nice and hot. Try it, you will not be disappointed.

25-May-18
Thanks Paul sounds delicious

25-May-18
Hack, it aint memorial day and you dont have any venison left in the freezer????!!!! God have mercy on your soul brother! Id be drivin the roads lookin for roadkills

26-May-18
The variety of flavor profiles venison works with is incredible. Learn balance. Salt + sweet/sour/spicy/savory/herbal/bitter + fat. Take any renowned dish in any world cuisine and it is a balance of most of those elements.

1) Don't undercook it with low and moist heat. Make it fall off the bone.

2) Don't overcook it with hot and dry heat. Keep it a nice lively pink inside at a minimum.

3) Under no circumstances get in between those two safe zones.

4) Don't under-salt it.

5) Know generally how to slice across the muscle grain. There are plenty of "tough" cuts that have excellent flavor, and are damn good grilled but not fork tender. You just need to man up and carve the meat properly.

Follow those simple rules and you can't eff it up.

27-May-18
Yes! ___ ^^^

27-May-18
Hackbow that sounds really good. I don't have much left myself and good advise Elk yinzer. Thanks guys

29-May-18
last night I opened a quart jar of deer burger put up in Nov 2016 (1 teaspoon of salt added at canning).

boiled up about six cups (cooked volume) of shells pasta

put two small soup can size cans of tomato sauce in a saucepan, added a pint of home canned stewed tomatoes, a small can of sliced mushrooms and a teaspoon of thyme, a half teaspoon each of turmeric and garlic powder, a half teaspoon of salt. simmered 10 minutes

mixed a 8 ounce package of shredded mozzarealla and an ounce of grated romano into the pasta in a shallow casserole dish poured the sauce on, folded it in well and topped with a sprinkle of grated romano

baked @ 325 for 25 minutes

yum

• Sitka Gear