TreeWalker 02-Jun-18
AzEd 03-Jun-18
Frank Noska 03-Jun-18
FlatLndr 03-Jun-18
Tech Support 03-Jun-18
Sandbrew 03-Jun-18
Couesdiehard 04-Jun-18
30-May-18
I got word yesterday evening from a friend on here that Al Vallejo passed away yesterday from a heart attack. Sadly, Tom Schultze of Sangre de Cristo Outfitters confirmed the news this morning. Al was arguably one of Colorado's most famous sheep guides, if not the most famous. I believe he guided over 180 successful sheep hunts during his career between Alaska and Colorado.

May he rest in peace and look down upon the rest of you on your upcoming sheep hunts from the glassing point above.

30-May-18

kscowboy's embedded Photo
kscowboy's embedded Photo
Al is pictured 2nd from the left (not my pic, just wanted to share a field pic of the legend)

30-May-18
Prayers sent from MN.

Mark

30-May-18
RIP Al.

30-May-18
RIP Al.

What sad news. I had the pleasure of hunting with Al when I drew my ram tag in 2012. He was a great guy and I stayed in touch with him since. I was really looking forward to spending time on a mountain with him again in the future. My prayers go out to his family and friends.

30-May-18
Very sad news. I had high hopes of meeting and possibly hunting with Al in August. May he rest in peace. Prayers to the Vallejo family and friends.

30-May-18

Sandbrew's embedded Photo
I am still shocked by the news I got early yesterday. Al was a great sheep guide but also helped out the Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society for many years. I first met Al more than 17 years ago after I drew my first archery Rocky tag and became involved with the RMBS. Several years later Al offered to help me free of charge when I drew the statewide Colorado raffle tag. Al and I hunted together many days that season. I called him when I finally spotted the ram of my dreams. He met me the next day with Tom and Tate. Al and I made the final stalk on this great ram and he said to me "I'm not sure what that rams scores but you better shoot him now"

Al has guided close to 200 sheep hunts I was #169 in 2008 if recall correctly. Sadly he never harvested a ram of his own.

He was truly a great sheep hunter and a good friend. He will be sorely missed.

Rest in peach my friend!

Sandbrew

30-May-18
Devastating news. Just saw him in January. He was a great advocate of sheep hunting in Colorado and gave more than his share back to every organization he was part of. He will be dearly missed.

30-May-18
Sad & shocking news.

30-May-18
I am shocked to hear this news. I saw Al last month at the RMBS banquet. He always wore a white cowboy hat. He was on the BOD with me for a short time. RIP my friend.

30-May-18
My condolences to his multitude of friends, and family. Never met him, but certainly his reputation was top notch.

30-May-18
Wow, very sad news indeed.

Al was certainly one of the best sheep hunters anywhere and he will be sorely missed by many. We have lost one of the Great Ones. May there be many big rams in heaven and sheep ribs over an open fire for eternity.

Condolences to his family.

30-May-18
A great sheep hunter and a man I was proud to call my friend... Condolences to all.

30-May-18

vic's embedded Photo
vic's embedded Photo
Just one hell of a man, I am thankful for all of our time together, he was a true friend.

30-May-18

vic's embedded Photo
vic's embedded Photo
well that's the wrong picture. let me try that again.

30-May-18
well that's the wrong picture. let me try that again.

30-May-18
Never will forget that night you and I and Al spent in Cuchara on my S51 archery hunt huh Vic? If you can remember that is. What a great guy and hell of a sheep hunter. I will miss him. Glad I spent a while talking to him at RMBS a couple weeks ago. Better go sheep huntin while you can. You never know.

30-May-18
I am so overwhelmed with the outpouring of admiration for Al. He really was all of the things that have been said about him. Al was the love of my life and I loved him more than life itself. He was my rock and I don't know what I will do with out him. He was the toughest man I have ever known or will probably ever know on this earth.

Thank you for all the kind words it really helps the pain.

30-May-18
I only knew Al by reputation as the go to guy for sheep hunting in Colorado.

The experience and knowledge he had about sheep, sheep hunting and the units he guided in I'm sure is irreplaceable.

Sorry for your loss...

30-May-18
Al has been my dearest friend for over 40 years. I loved him like a brother. He lived life to the fullest and lived by the moment. He truly thought that he would live forever. Because of this he did not plan well for his family. He did not have any kind of insurance. An account has been sent up at www.gofundme.com. Put in a search for Al Vallejo and click on Al's picture with the ram. Then if you feel it in your heart to help out his family, please do so. Thank you for all the GREAT posts and consoling words. Tom

30-May-18
I never had the pleasure my having him guide me as much as I wanted to. Of course I'm not one of the wealthy fortunate hunters that could ever afford a sheep hunt either. Anyway prayers for his family.

30-May-18
I didn't know Al but always heard good things about him during my 35 years in CO. He will be a big loss to the sheep hunting community and his family for sure.

30-May-18
Wow...the guy was seriously a legend..his name was always in the mix when it came to big rams and never heard a sideways word about him...had a nice chat at the OVIS show...a life well spent...

30-May-18
Wow!! I am just so shocked and sad. I have known Al for at least 35 years. He was such a great hunter that was always willing to help people out. Definately the best story teller of all time. Even though I don't hang out with all of you anymore I would still see Al around town and we could talk forever. RIP. YOU WILL BE MISSED BY MANY.

31-May-18
This is quite a shock. I heard about Al’s passing Wednesday morning from a friend and then got an email from Tom Schulze. Al and I just chatted at the RMBS Banquet in late April and we have been working together on some Forest Service outfitting issues the last few months. In the past, we also worked on keeping domestic sheep out of unit S50. Al and I were competitors for sheep clients but we often talked and I always had a deep respect for his abilities in the field. This is a great loss for his wife, SDCO, and the Colorado sheep community. Competing with Al made me a better sheep guide and outfitter. I thank him for that. Rest in peace and God bless, Scott Limmer

31-May-18
That is very sad indeed.

How old was he? Pretty young still and in Sheep Shape for sure.

I talked to Al many times over the years, always helpful and honest.

Prayers from my home to his family

Good luck, Robb

31-May-18
Early 60's, 62 maybe. Way too young. Always had a lot of fun with Al. Always a positive guy, always. " Vaya Con Dios" old friend. Terry Marcum

31-May-18
If you are over 40- have your Blood Pressure checked and a PSA test for your prostate done- when I had a high BP issue, I was shocked to learn of it, and how many guys 45+ take Lisinopril or similar meds due to high BP... Do it

31-May-18

All Vallejo daughter's embedded Photo
His two favorite people in the world, family life.
All Vallejo daughter's embedded Photo
His two favorite people in the world, family life.
My father us and was an amazing man! He was as strong as a mountain, fierce as a bear and as stealth as a lion, to me my father was Colorado, he is deeply missed by so many fruends and family and anyone who had the pleaseure if knowing my father knew he lived life to the fullest and made sure he had fun while doing it, I'm going to miss him more than anything in this world, thank you everyone for all the prayers and just the out poor of sympathy we all appreciate it. Rest in peace dad we all love you.

31-May-18
RIP Al.

31-May-18
My condolences to all, especially the family that has posted here. I never me Al, but clearly he was a top notch guide, husband, father, and man. I am sorry to all for your loss.

31-May-18
I didn't know him as well as most of you, but did have the pleasure of meeting him while helping a friend on a hunt and got the chance to pick his brain. I didn't realize how deep his resume truly went but it didn't take long to tell he was damn good at what he did. I enjoyed the little time I was around him and exchanged numbers hoping that our paths would cross again someday. Sad to hear that won't happen. Prayers to all of his family and friends.

Matt

31-May-18
He and I got to visit at RMBS banquet for a few minutes, what a pleasure. Condolences to family. RIP John

31-May-18
I never knew the man, but from the comments above, he obviously had a huge impact on a lot of folks and was dearly loved!

My condolences and prayers to his friends and family.

31-May-18
R.I.P. Al!

31-May-18
Absolute legend of a sheep guide and hunter, from all of us Garrett we send our deepest condolences to you.

31-May-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Al is not gone but just in Heaven planning your next great adventure together. God bless Al and his family. Paul

01-Jun-18
I first met Al in 1980. Then in 1983 I did some printing for Rams Horn Outfitters. After that I began helping him with a few sheep hunts as well as a hunting camp every now and then and a lot of pack trips taking clients up in the Sange De Cristo to catch rainbows and have some fun. He was a great sheep guide and a great friend. Some of my favorite memories are ones that had Al in them. Will never forget you my dear friend Rest In Peace

01-Jun-18

Sandbrew's Link
To all that knew Al here are some details on Al's too short life and a service. In true Al fashion his wife Mary asked if the Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society could handle donations. I knew they could and we are working on setting up an Al Vallejo Memorial Youth Hunt for future hunters.

On Tuesday May 29, 2018 Alan L. Vallejo, loving husband, father, brother and son passed away unexpectedly at the age of 62.

Al was born on August 4, 1955 and lived the majority of those years in Teller County. Al was legendary in the hunting world and was always there to lend a hand to his friends.

Al was preceded in death by his father, Jose. He is survived by his wife Mary and his children Garrett and Mandy, his mother Grace, his brothers; Rick, Tony and Robert, and his sister Raquel as well as many nieces, nephews and cousins.

Services will be held at 11:00 am on Saturday, June 9th with Celebration of Life Party to follow at Hayden Divide Park, Divide, CO. (Near the baseball fields)

In lieu of flowers donations can be made to the Rocky Mountain Big Horn Society either via website @ bighornsheep.org or mailed to PO Box 8320, Denver, CO 80201.

Also I am working on establishing a list and trying capturing details of as many of the hunters Al guided and helped over the years. Please email me if you have any hunting specific details. [email protected]

Sandbrew

02-Jun-18
Al Vallejo, as I knew him was a icon of a sheep guiding world. Logging countless days, early morning late nights, hot blistering days, cold freezing nights, to accomplish one thing! To help another sheep hunter accomplish a lifetime goal of harvesting a bighorn sheep! No one knows the dedication and the hours towards harvesting or even guiding a bighorn sheep than a sheep guide. The selfless act of sacrificing family time, modern comforts, sleep, a regular paying job, for the reward of a few buck and the timeless smile of a hunter harvesting their ram can only be enjoyed by a select few. As a sheep guide you strive and enjoy living and exploring and pursuing Gods creations! Al was only one step closer to God in the the way he lived through his passions. Thank you Al for all you have done in this life, an all of the lives you have changed and made better. I can can only hope to follow in your foot steps and continue the virtue of a dying breed of Men! RIP Al! You have lived a wider life than you know!

Terry Sandmeier

02-Jun-18
RIP Al. Peace be with your family and friends. See you on the other side.

03-Jun-18
I shared hunting camps with Al as a client and as a friend. Thanks to him, I fulfilled my dream of my sheep Grand Slam. We also hunted coues deer in Arizona. More laughs over evening cocktails than I can ever remember. He introduced a bunch of Arizona hunting buddies to “full curl” frogs on a water hole. (You had to be there)! The hunting world lost a great sheep hunter. The world lost a great man and a better friend. He will never be forgotten. RIP Al!!

03-Jun-18
When I drew my CO bighorn tag several years ago, I was very fortunate to get to meet and hunt with Al Vallejo and Tom Schulze. That is how and where I got to know Al. He had me on sheep at first light on opening day. I will never forget it! We had a great hunt and a great time. I reached out to Al over the years, whenever I had certain sheep questions I knew he could answer. I also got to see and visit with him, over the years, a few more times at hunting and sheep shows. His picture would be by the definition of "CO Sheep Guide" in the dictionary. We have indeed lost a legend. RIP.

03-Jun-18
I had the pleasure to have a few beers over the years with Al. He was a great guy. RIP brother. You will be missed

03-Jun-18
I met Al some 30 years ago on a bear hunt in Victor, Colorado. We became friends and I introduced him to computers (we still remained friends in spite of that!). I hunted with him several times after that as a friend and consider him to be one of my best friends. I can't believe that I will never see him again. RIP Al

03-Jun-18
Services for Al Vallejo on Saturday June 9th at Hayden Park in Divide, CO at 11am. A celebration of life party to follow at the Country Lodge. Please join me to celebrate and honor Al's life. I'll be there.

Please share this with your friends and Al's.

04-Jun-18
Had the good fortune to hunt coues deer in AZ with this great hunter in one of his few vacation hunts. I'll never forget the spirits our his love of America and the outdoors. Full curl frogs adventure is one of the best hunting stories of my life. You will be missed but not forgotten my friend

• Sitka Gear