kota-man 31-May-18
Paul@thefort 31-May-18
Mule Power 01-Jun-18
ELKMAN 01-Jun-18
smarba 01-Jun-18
cjgregory 01-Jun-18
Rutnrod1995 02-Jun-18
30-May-18
So I have been scoping the Sitka site for awhile now and I'm impressed with a lot of their new gear. That said, I am looking to outfit myself with Sitka for some OTC Colorado and Idaho Elk hunting. I enjoy the Sitka here in Wisconsin for Whitetail, but I have no clue what to expect for weather out west. My question is, what is your guys suggestions on what I should get for out west?

P.S. I like Sitka. I want Sitka. I do not care to get other company suggestions, I just want to know what Sitka pieces I should add to my arsenal. Thank you in advance.

30-May-18
Mountain pant, Jetstream Vest, Lt Wt core hoody, Mountain vest/jacket

30-May-18
If you have a pair of Ascent pants along with either a Mountain or Timberline pant and a base layer you will be set for 20F to 80F in total comfort.

30-May-18
That's kind of my thoughts fellas, keep the recommendations coming. Do you guys go with the Sitka rain gear or nah?

30-May-18
I normally don't hunt the mountains with a soft-shell jacket, just a base layer with vest (either Mountain or Jetstream) and carry a puffy jacket and rain jacket (another brand that will remain un-named per your request) in my pack and use that rain jacket as my soft-shell, which I hardly ever need as a softshell. No rain pants but gaiters..

30-May-18
The one piece of Sitka that’s a must for me are the Ascent pants. All my other clothing items are brands other than Sitka.

30-May-18
Way better than Kuiu.

30-May-18
The new Apex system is tailor made for elk hunting. Absolutely check it out, you’re gonna love it.

30-May-18
I have the timberline pants(knee pads are worth their wait in gold), traverse jacket(love it and the pit zips), core half zip shirt. I would start the day at 30 degrees wearing the pants, no bottom base layer, merino tee, core half zip and traverse. When I started climbing the pit zips come open, stop zip them up. After 9 am the traverse is only used for moderate rain showers (which most are) or napping in the shade. This is the last 10 days of Colorado’s season. I will purchase a vest at some point.

30-May-18
The new Apex pants and hoodie in subalpine were made for elk hunting...start there and build off of it based on your needs.

31-May-18
Kota, Subalpine was made for the elk woods? I always thought Open Country was? I suppose, that's a good a place to start as any.

31-May-18
Once you start it’s “all Sitka, all the time”

Have a great hunt!

31-May-18
If makes a difference when/where you're going. It also makes a difference if you typically run warm or if you get cold easily. If you're hunting in warm temperatures and you run warm then the new Ascent pants are perfect. They are super stretchy (important when climbing) and they are the lightest pants you will find.

As Kota mentioned the subalpine is perfect for most elk situations. If you're coming from a background of whitetails its worth mentioning that most successful western hunters don't get too concerned with camo patterns. The only hunters that match camo head to toe are those pictured in ads.

31-May-18
I'd echo Kota that the new Apex series is a great starting point. I love my Ascent Pants, but be aware the current version is very light and designed for hot/warm weather hunting. Here in NM elk season can be 90+ degrees and the Ascent is wonderful. I'm not sure I'd be using the Ascent in CO colder/wetter weather as the Mountain or Apex would be better suited for those conditions.

31-May-18
Mountain pant. Lightweight hoody. Heavy weight hoody. Timberline Jacket

31-May-18
Not trying to hijack the thread but is there a specific camo pattern of Sitka that will work better out west, as opposed to the Midwest or Eastern whitetail woods?

31-May-18
Gotta agree with Link the Timberline pants, great for crawling/stalking sitting. A pant you can wear the entire hunt. A hair noisy if stalking bedded animals. But in most situations they are fine.

31-May-18

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
Like I said. Timberline pant and traverse jacket. Sub alpine, open country or the mud color, doesn’t really matter but the sub alpine does look good to the human eye.

31-May-18
I really like the new subalpine pattern. I was able to pick up a few things on sale a few months back.. I think that pattern will work really well when hunting dark timber, which is what I mostly hunt.. but, that said I previously wore open country pattern and been very close to critters, with the right wind of course, and not been detected..

31-May-18
I should preface my comments by saying I haven't got my hands on any of the Apex line yet so after doing so it may change my opinion.

I am another person that loves having the knee pads because it makes a huge difference for me if crawling or kneeling for extended periods so in the past I have ran mostly timberline and mountain pants, but now you can add knee pads to the ascent pants and for elk season they are probably my favorite. They are lightweight and extremely comfortable. If temps drop just layer up underneath them. That said, you really can't go wrong with any of the pants.

I will echo another in the vest comment. I like wearing a core base layer and a mid or heavy weight if colder along with the Jetstream vest. This has been my go to for years. For a jacket the Kelvin active is lightweight and very comfortable. If you expect you will be hunting in colder weather the Jetstream jacket is awesome as well.

As for rain gear, if you can afford Sitka then get it, but in my experience rain showers are brief during elk season and you can get by with less.

Matt

31-May-18
An Option For sept. Is A (quality) lightweight poncho that will cover your pack and bow are handy to throw on for a brief shower. Then quickly removed and stored. Bow arm can be quickly uncovered for a shot if needed.

31-May-18
Rutnrod1995-Open Country was made for “Open Counrty”, as in above the tree line. Sub Alpine was designed for close encounters in the Alpine. Sub Alpine was designed for elk hunting.

RDinWI- Either pattern will work out West, but if you’re going to combine it with the whitetail woods,, go Subalpine.

31-May-18

31-May-18

31-May-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
I purchased the original pattern Optifade, three years ago for most of my hunting, especially elk.

My next pair will be a different pattern, ie, Subalpine camo for sure. It blends in well with the timber where I hunt. Personally I believe the Optifade is too light in color for timber hunting.

31-May-18
I have a ascent pant and incinerator bid. I will hunt Colorado third week of September. Do I need to bring my incinerator bib with me? Or it too warm?

31-May-18
Unless your anticipating temps below zero, I can’t imagine a use for the Incinerator Bib in Colorado in September.

31-May-18
I agree, just bring along a light weight pair of Gortex rain pants. They will keep you dryer and warmer if needed.

01-Jun-18
I don’t care where you are going or when.... you will have a lot of use for a Jetstream jacket.

I have an Incinerator jacket..... no use for that wood stove during bow season though.

01-Jun-18
What ever you get make sure you get their Light weight hoody.

01-Jun-18
Echo Elkman, I've been using Lightweight Hoody for past season and love it. It keeps me cool and blocks sun when it's hot, it's a great base layer when it's cool. Very versatile piece and the integrated facemask is really nice too.

01-Jun-18
The Mountain pants are the best. By all means use the suspenders. Your pack or butt pack wont keep pushing your pants down. Ive used SITKA the past two years and wouldn't recommend anything else. Ive never traveled lighter. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of good stuff out there but in my opinion, if you hunt a season in SITKA you will never go back to anything else. I had to try it to believe it. I also like the ASCENT pants and shirt for the warm days with long walks. I haven't worn it when there's a lot of mosquitoes so I can't speak for situation.

How the stuff moves and feels is a huge sell point for me. And it feels so light that it belongs in a different paradigm.

02-Jun-18
That is something I can definitely agree with. Once you go with Sitka, you don't want to look anywhere else! I hunt here in Wisconsin with the stratus pants, short/long sleeve core, stratus vest. I love the vest covering the base layer, it feels so free and you're almost always comfortable. If I can have that option out west, I'm a happy man. I will definitely get a Jetstream jacket, Jetstream vest and mountain/timberline pants. I will also grab a lightweight hoodie. Thanks guys.

• Sitka Gear