Florida Mike 01-Jun-18
Rut Nut 01-Jun-18
oldgoat 01-Jun-18
TD 01-Jun-18
Rut Nut 01-Jun-18
APauls 01-Jun-18
Rut Nut 02-Jun-18
31-May-18
Back in January, I killed a monster doe-maybe 50-pounds live weight. I carefully trimmed the entire saddle and three weeks ago, smoked it. I had heard about this method, never tried it and I know, it sounds odd. First I put it in a large bag with Lea & Perrins steak marinade for 12-hours. Shook dry and toweled dry with paper towel. I then rubbed it well with High Mountain Venison Rub. Then completely wrapped in bacon. I placed in the smoker at 240-degrees with heavy smoke for two hours, until internal temp. was 155-degrees and removed. I removed bacon and allowed to come to room temp. I then cut in half, down the spine, one leg on each side and placed each half in custom cut, vacuum bags and sealed. Then, placed in freezer until two days ago. I thawed in refrigerator and sliced. It was perfectly medium rare. I sauted onions and mushrooms in butter and placed slices in skillet just long enough to get hot. I truly believe, it is the best dead deer meat I have ever eaten. I have enough for 4-6 meals, depending on if it is just me or me and my current wife. And would you believe, I did not take a single picture. Oh, I have no teeth. They were destroyed by meds when I was so sick and I had to have them all pulled. I cannot wear dentures. I was able to perfectly chew every bite. Lunch was deer meat, turnip greens, tater salad, corn bread and tea and I ate till I like to busted wide open. I'm dead serious. Try it.

31-May-18
Current wife? I'm pretty sure I know how ya lost them teeth.lol

31-May-18
Yeah, I caught that "current wife" comment too.

31-May-18
I try to eat 'dead deer' w/ my current wife also, never tried it w/ a 'live deer' w/ a past wife. Sounds like a good eat.

31-May-18
Monster doe...maybe 50lbs live weight? Lol

31-May-18
I try to eat 'dead deer' w/ my current wife also, never tried it w/ a 'live deer' w/ a past wife. Sounds like a good eat.

31-May-18
I am still trying to get the saddle off my horse...

31-May-18
You guys are ruthless.

31-May-18
It was propped up right on the tee, what did you think was going to happen?

31-May-18
Ether tongue in cheek or the most bizarre thread yet. Is there a link to a recipe, anyone ever heard of this?

31-May-18
Smoked venison is great! But I don't see how 155 is a perfect medium rare. All temp charts I've seen put medium rare around 130-140.

31-May-18
I do not think the temp would get there under this scenario and of course it would be over cooked. Bunch of B S.

01-Jun-18
Bunch of B.S.? Sounds good to me. Don't try it. I have never seen any meat chart that puts 130-140 as medium rare. But what do I know? I've only been cooking deer for about 60-years and if you have read many of my posts, you quickly recognize my "tongue in cheek" writing style. My current wife has been current for 43-years and I always eat dead deer meat. Now. According to the meat thermometer on my smoker, at 155-degrees, that meat was perfect, good red center. So, I assume, my thermometer is off by 20-degrees. But here is the real tip. I do not suggest you try this. I'm sure you won't like it.

01-Jun-18
"I have never seen any meat chart that puts 130-140 as medium rare."

You might want to google that because they pretty much all do. If I want a steak or roast cooked to medium rare, I stop at 130 deg.

What all does the "saddle" consist of?

01-Jun-18
Lost me at the saddle, was thinking it was a double loin recipe, apparently he rides a little further back, “not that there’s nothing wrong with that”

01-Jun-18
Lack of medication?

01-Jun-18
I have heard the term "saddle" before. Think it was used to describe backstrap.

01-Jun-18
Are you sure it wasn't a horse you shot? Seen an elk with a saddle on it but never a deer!

01-Jun-18
I've heard of saddle cuts, if it's what I'm thinking of..... ribs cut off about halfway down on both sides and both backstraps with the spine in one piece. Sounds like you include front shoulder or the hinds as well? The folks that smoked that way spread it all out open and flattened. On the cut ribs they left them intact at the brisket and opened them out flat too and smoked them. More ways than one to skin, er..... cut up a deer....

I think I could eat dirt wrapped in bacon..... =D The marinate sounds good.

01-Jun-18

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Well, I've never done that, but have dry marinated a whole hind quarter then cooked it over an open fire for hrs. Actually, a professional chef did it for me at one of our campouts. Sounds very similar to what you did with your 'saddle". Rubbed the whole hind quarter with a dry rub and let it "marinate" in a garbage bag in a cooler overnight. Next day put it on the spit over an open fire. Best venison I ever ate! Cut it off the bone to serve like steamship round. Chef Bill even did a great presentation for our game feast! : )

01-Jun-18
Where do you guys get those tasty looking jackrabbit hindquarters? Our jacks are too lean up here ;)

02-Jun-18
LOL! Believe it or not, that was from one of the larger deer I have shot.

I’m hunting big woods deer in NE Pa. If you get one that field dresses much over 100 lbs, that’s BIG!

• Sitka Gear