Bowboy 07-Jun-18
elkstabber 07-Jun-18
ELKMAN 07-Jun-18
wildan 07-Jun-18
nmwapiti 07-Jun-18
nmwapiti 07-Jun-18
Ski & Skin 09-Jun-18
06-Jun-18
I was scouting some new country in the Fishlake and Dixie NFs here in central Utah over the last couple days. Took the bird dog with me to get some exercise. We were hiking along a little ridgeline above a meadow where I had glasses some elk earlier. I spotted one of the cows below looking at us. I ranged her just to see and she was about 250 yards.

06-Jun-18
Next thing I know, she starts heading our way. She crosses the sage bottom and disappears below us. We were on a little bit of a bluff so I lose sight of her. The dog has dropped down off the edge some so I can't see him either.

06-Jun-18

nmwapiti's embedded Photo
In about a minute, I see her coming up the ridge right towards us. She was about 50 yards away at this point. I pulled out my phone figuring I could get a couple pics.

06-Jun-18

She keeps coming right at us. She stops occasionally to look around the hillside. In hindsight I think she was looking for the dog. He is white, so he stands out.

06-Jun-18
uh oh

06-Jun-18

I get a couple good pics while she is standing about 25 yards away. I still don't know where the dog is.

06-Jun-18

Then she goes out of sight behind a rock point and I hear a bunch of commotion. Next thing I know the dog comes flying out to the right with her in hot pursuit.

06-Jun-18

I wasn't really worried about the dog since he's pretty fast and in great shape. I tried to get a few pics, but I missed the dog with the next couple.

06-Jun-18
They disappear behind the rock point again and when they come out the other side, he is letting out some scared yipes. She gets him on his back and is trying to stomp him. At that point, I stop taking pics and start yelling. She gives up pretty quick and highsteps off. He comes up dusty and a little shaken, but otherwise looks okay.

06-Jun-18
protecting her calf....she meant business....glad your dogs ok

06-Jun-18
They have calves right now. I bet she hid one between you and her.

06-Jun-18
That is great, thanks for sharing the encounter!

06-Jun-18

I suppose she thought he was a coyote, but she was the most aggressive I've ever seen towards a dog. Might have been a calf hidden somewhere, but I never saw any sign of it. Anyway, the dog seems fine. Here he is watching an antelope that evening. Thought you guys might enjoy...

06-Jun-18
I bet your dog appreciated you taking pictures while he got stomped! Lol!!!!!

06-Jun-18
I imagine the mother instinct is pretty strong. Wolf, coyote, or dog. Good for her ! And good for your dog’s evasive qualities.

06-Jun-18
Wow! Pretty cool encounter but the pucker factor would have gotten pretty high for me if she had my dog on the ground! Thanks for sharing!

06-Jun-18
Great pictures! Hope your dog is ok. Watched a similar event just two days ago. I was trail running and came out of the woods and into a field. Coming at me at full speed is a man with his dog on leash and a doe chasing them. He tried stopping a couple of times and yelling at her. She would stop momentarily but then chase them again. She appeared to be focused on the dog. She finally chased them into the woods from the field and I could hear her cutting the corner on the trail to try and get ahead of them. It was pretty intense. I assumed that they had walked very close to her fawn bedded in the field.

06-Jun-18
LOL @ Ucsdryder

06-Jun-18
I watched a cow elk kick a cow elk 20 feet in the air one time. That could have got ugly!

06-Jun-18
Mom rage. Thanks for posting that. Hope the dog is ok.

06-Jun-18
Thanks for posting, glad your dog is ok. She's doing her job. Had deer chase my 50 lb. cur.

06-Jun-18
Mother moose might have stomped a mudhole out of the dog.mothers are protective.

06-Jun-18

kscowboy's Link
You’re lucky to still have your dog. As I recall, this dog died.

06-Jun-18
Yeah, he used a life that day. She would have killed him had you not been there close enough to holler at her.

06-Jun-18
Cool pictures.

Cervids and canines have a long and storied history. I'm pretty sure they know from birth what the score is.

06-Jun-18
I'd like to think that if a brown bear was charging me, my first instinct wouldn't be to pull out my phone and do my best impression of a Japanese tourist.

07-Jun-18
Neat story and pix

Glad your dog made it out alive!

See any 'Velvet' on your hike?

#LovinLife

Robb

07-Jun-18
She spanned 250 yards to go after your dog? Tells me she wasn't sure where her calf was.

During fawning season, I had a doe chase my cur when he was a pup. I couldn't see her but I could deduce what went down by his hollering and her stomping and blowing emanating from the thicket. Funny how fast they find you when 'ol Ma nature throws them a curve ball. I'm surprised yours did not find your feet PDQ. Also, I'm sure next time, you'll be less inclined to memorialize the encounter and more inclined to abate it.

07-Jun-18
Jason harassing the wildlife like that! The PETA folks will be after you now! Lol

07-Jun-18
Good for her.

07-Jun-18
Yeah, good for her. I would keep a little more control of your dog. That could have ended VERY bad.

07-Jun-18
My English Pointer is at my feet right now;glad yours survived that ordeal.

07-Jun-18

Yep. Glad the dog is okay. He doesn't appear harmed at all. Maybe his pride. Saw lots of velvet. The biggest bull already had about 8 inches of dagger. Most of the mature bulls had good fronts already. Here are a couple pics. They would be better if I was faster with my phone.

07-Jun-18

Some bedded bulls with a tag-along buck antelope.

09-Jun-18
Seems like she has encountered coyotes and hopefully not wolves!?!?!

• Sitka Gear