trophyhill's embedded Photo
5 point bull in Velvet. June 9 with about a month and a half of growth ahead. Back tines just starting to develop. What will this bull become?

11-Jun-18
not much. no mass

11-Jun-18
Crazy fronts...I like it!

11-Jun-18
Potentially 250ish# of red meat.

11-Jun-18
Mass doesn't mean a whole lot on scores. It's all about tine length and width.....

11-Jun-18
mass indicates maturity

11-Jun-18
Gotcha :) does mass show up this early?

11-Jun-18
mass shows up immediately and June is not real early. Tines that are going to grow a lot have bobbed ends. This bull's don't. He's a raghorn. Really nice fronts, but backs are weak. Hopefully i'll be proven wrong, but i follow lots of elk every year.

11-Jun-18
Dink, Why? Maybe because he's eating dirt! lmao

11-Jun-18
Awesome to be in a location to scout. I read a few years back if you don't live in your hunting area and are able to scout shoot the first legal animal you get a chance at.

11-Jun-18
I'm thinking he'll fizzle out to a basic five with very long brows. No mass as said, there should be a fat glob of bloody velvet on the upper end if he was going to have anything on the back end. I see very little there, potentially.

11-Jun-18
Two weeks ago I saw one with beams at least a foot longer in a non trophy area. I don’t see much there. Just don’t look like it but I’m definitely not an expert. From what I’ve seen watching trail cameras the last few years is the beams grow similar to the tines. Long tines mean the beams are starting to crap out. The tines don’t get really long then the beams sprout after...if that makes sense.

11-Jun-18
young bull, when his backs catch up to his fronts... look out

11-Jun-18
Potential to be a great bull one day. Really young.

11-Jun-18
I agree, his body looks like a very young bull, I bet he will still grow decent fourth and fifths at the very least. Potential IMO is in the long term, if he makes it through this year he will be a great looking bull next year. He may be just struggling to get enough nutrients, there isn't much green food anywhere and water is just as scarce, the drought is as bad as I have ever seen.

11-Jun-18
Junior. I've seen deer licking dirt. There might be a mineral they like in that dirt ;)

12-Jun-18
Depends on wha'cha call a lil' raghorn........ =D

I'd say half (or more) on this thread would drop a sting on him given the opportunity. Especially in the last week..... heheheheh....

I likely would.... but I'm a sucker for a punched tag..... not fond of soup..... and really don't care to imagine "what he would be in a couple years...." when I likely won't be at full draw hangin' around waiting for him to "grow up".... =D

12-Jun-18
Junior. I've seen deer licking dirt. There might be a mineral they like in that dirt ;) Right, I'm just poking fun. Honestly think the bull is young, but also think hes lacking something? Moisture? I have a similar bull on the wall. Maybe I can get a pic up, was a drought year when I drew.

12-Jun-18
Lol TD. I'll drop the string in a heartbeat when the time comes if I get the opportunity ;)

Junior, yes drought is upon us in a harsh way. Hopefully that hurricane brings monsoonal flows.

Anyone have any June pics for comparison?

12-Jun-18
If you let him breath long enough he might....(Young)

12-Jun-18
He's a young bull no beer gut.

12-Jun-18
Lmao

• Sitka Gear