md5252 12-Jun-18
huntabsarokee 12-Jun-18
wytex 12-Jun-18
JRABQ 12-Jun-18
HDE 12-Jun-18
bigmartbowhunter 12-Jun-18
11-Jun-18

Sean D.'s Link
Gonna need some rain in SW Colorado or this elk season might not be very good.

11-Jun-18
That is not good. From central CO all the way to central NM is under extreme fire risk. Not a great year to have a CO 76 or NM 15-16s 17. It’s a little late now for rain and antlers isn’t it. I hope it turns around so people can at least hunt.

11-Jun-18
Right now, antler growth is not a concern...

11-Jun-18
I saw that it probably won't open until October, at least according to a Colorado hiking Facebook page.

11-Jun-18
Yes your right. My bad. this is past worrying about antler growth.

11-Jun-18

Coyote 65's embedded Photo
Coyote 65's embedded Photo
Some hope may be on the horizon. Hurricane Bud.

Terry

11-Jun-18
I wasn't implying anything about antler growth! I was meaning the season itself!

11-Jun-18
I drew my unit 77 deer tag and called my buddy in Pagosa on Friday to tell him , he’s really worried about the fire risk more than I ever remember.

11-Jun-18
Drew a muzzleloader bull tag for 75/751 this year. I'm just hoping it'll be opened by September had a scouting trip planned for after 4th of July doesn't look like that'll happen.

11-Jun-18
Hopefully thus weekend will be the beginning og an above average monsoon.

You're not kidding about animal health in general for a decent hunt. Thinking about a normal rut as well - many things determine a cow to be in estrus, diet is one.

11-Jun-18
Hope you guys get some rain!! Hunt

11-Jun-18
Forest service is describing the conditions as "historic ". I wonder if any other lands will be closed down that way.

11-Jun-18
ryanrc most of AZ's national forests are all ready closed. Yellow caution tape across openings where people commonly camp FS roads closed and only open to residents.

Terry

12-Jun-18
Dry means little growth. In AK research showed that the determining factor for older cows to have twins was the previous summer's moisture. Frequent wet periods promoted growth and the next year cows produced more twins.

12-Jun-18
I wouldn’t throw in the towel yet on hunts. At least I’m not. It was abnormal conditions that put it in this situation. So, it’s quite possible abnormal conditions are possible in time to save the hunting season.

12-Jun-18
Any info on the rest of the state or neighboring states. I would imagine if SW CO is that bad the rest of the region can’t be great. Thoughts?

12-Jun-18
I just checked the NRCS website and northern CO is 85% of their 10 year average for precipitation so not too bad compared to southern CO.

12-Jun-18
We're dry up here in southern Wyo too, new fire on our side this weekend. Goods rains should be on the way. June is historically the dry month in the mountains, monsoons save us in July.

12-Jun-18

JRABQ's embedded Photo
JRABQ's embedded Photo
Here is the drought map June 7, 2018. Worst parts are southern CO, southern UT, NM, and AZ.

12-Jun-18
I am right at the heart of D4...

12-Jun-18
do you think this will affect unit 76.

• Sitka Gear