HDE 16-Jun-18
Luckydad 17-Jun-18
BULELK1 17-Jun-18
HDE 17-Jun-18
deerhaven 17-Jun-18
HDE 17-Jun-18
midwest 17-Jun-18
15-Jun-18
Pretty much struck out on my draws this year. Have always thought about doing a Utah antlerless/spike bull archery hunt in your state, specifically in the SW Desert area. I am not totally clear if that is an over the counter tag or if I need to apply in the current open antlerless draw. Any advice is appreciated.

15-Jun-18
The archery antlerless/spike tags are OTC and unlimited. You can hunt any of the open units, but make sure you know whether you can shoot either a spike/cow or only a spike. The regulations for what you can shoot varies by unit.

15-Jun-18
Thanks tkj! That's exactly what I am a little unclear with. If it is a spike only unit for otc can you apply for a cow tag in this draw so that you can then hunt either a cow or spike, or do they not generally give out any cow tags for the spike bull only units

15-Jun-18
The OTC is general archery ES. This means you can shoot either a spike or a cow in the LE units or only a spike in certain units, such as Bookcliffs and Monroe (I think). You can shoot anything in the non-LE any bull units.

No need to put in for an antlerless.

15-Jun-18
Thanks guys. Both of you confirmed what I was thinking but just wasn't totally sure of myself. I can reread regs now and make my decision with more confidence.

15-Jun-18

c3's Link
Here's the link to the field guide - https://wildlife.utah.gov/guidebooks/2018_pdfs/2018_field_regs.pdf

Check out pages 23 and 24 for the elk info. Remember that you can't hunt the spike units the last week of the archery hunt. All the LE spike units are closed to clear the crowds for the guys who have LE big bull tags that last week. Only the Bookcliffs LE / spike unit is spike only.

You can also put in for an antlerless tag if those dates might suit you better. I believe you can also hunt with your bow during the archery season on an antlerless permit in the unit it is good for. Couldn't find that in the field guide, but I know there's something about it somewhere.

In any case there are some great options to get into the hills for gen archery elk otc here in Utah. It's the only unlimited tag left in the state. Great way to go hunt the units you might want to draw a big bull tag on some day.

Cheers, Pete

15-Jun-18
I will be there with my L.E. tag, maybe I will run into you out there

15-Jun-18
You can only use the antlerless tag during the archery hunt if you have another tag for those season dates. In this case it has to be a General Archery Deer tag, an OTC General Elk, or an LE Archery Bull.

You cannot use the antlerless during the archery hunt unless you have one of those three listed above in your pocket and the antlerless must be for the same unit.

And as mentioned you cannot use the antlerless after the GS Spike ends in an LE bull unit.

15-Jun-18
Congratulations Don K! I have seen some great bulls that came out of that unit. If I decide to do it I will pm you and check on dates you will be hunting. SW Desert is a huge unit to bump into someone randomly. How many points did you have going into the draw?

16-Jun-18
You have gotten some Spot on information and c3's link is good to research.

It is the best kept secret and value in the Rockies for hunting elk and scouting units for the big boy Bulls for your LE unit of choice

Have fun

Good luck, Robb

16-Jun-18
C3 is spot on and BULELK1 is correct. This tag is the best way to learn a Unit (did it in 2014) while waiting for an LE Elk Tag.

A NR can hunt elk in Utah every year for around $350! Best deal in the West for elk!

16-Jun-18
Deerhaven, sent you a PM

My son will be along and most likely will be carrying a spike tag in his pocket

16-Jun-18
"It is the best kept secret and value in the Rockies for hunting elk and scouting units for the big boy Bulls for your LE unit of choice"

The only catch is that you have "disgrace" yourself and shoot only a spike or cow, according to some [on here] anyway...

17-Jun-18
A lot of good info here. I was talking to a guy named Chad from Minnesota last week when we were both bear hunting in southwest Ontario. He told me that he goes to Utah elk hunting every year. I didn't get ask him much about it. So I am asking for some on-site as to what areas would be good for the OTC permits. Any insight would be appreciated. Have hunted Colorado my last few times. Looking for something new.

17-Jun-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I like the North Slope Any Bull unit out of Flaming Gorge/Manila. Granted the seasons are early dated but if ya don't have to chase bugles to hunt elk you should have an enjoyable time.

I am currently working with two families that had sons/daughters draw the Youth Early Rifle tag, one from Cali and the other from N.Mex.

About the time the Youth hunt begins your bow elk tag dates end so the chasing bugles is just about starting up and your hunt is over......unless you tag out early. Hardly any Legal quad trails in the area.

Good luck, Robb

PS ~~ True that HDE, I got no problem filling my tag @ 40 yards or less in an OTC unit Spike's taste great! haha

17-Jun-18
Me too - guess I'm just too A.D.D. because I still get just as much satisfaction shooting a cow as I do a bull.

Maybe I haven't grown up yet...

As far as good OTC areas, most any LE unit will be good hunting. Most of the time they have lower hunting pressure and will bugle early - like Labor Day early and in my experience the bulls have cows already. Follow the bugles and you'll find the cows, and maybe a spike along the way.

17-Jun-18
Thanks again guys you have been extremely helpful. I wasn't trying to be a lazy a$$ or get anyone's secret spot but just needed a little steerage to get on the right track. I got all that plus a couple of secret spots to boot. Thanks for sharing your knowledge guys and good luck this season!

Mike T

17-Jun-18
No worries - you wouldn't get my secret spots anyway ;^)

17-Jun-18
He looks delicious, Robb!

• Sitka Gear