BULELK1 22-Oct-18
BULELK1 22-Oct-18
BULELK1 22-Oct-18
18-Jun-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
'Morning All,

I hope your Fathers Day went well.

I have had a Utility Trl that I modified for a Camp and it was okay but if I needed it for anything else the other 10 months of the year, I had to take most every thing out.

Now, I have been researching those Roof Top Tents for the last year.

Everything from internet searches to talking to people with them in campgrounds or on the mountain.

18-Jun-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I decided to use my 2017 utility trlr that I bought for my Jeep to tow, 5 x 8 and I put the Roof Top Tent on top.

I can get to places with my Jeep and this set-up that I could never get to with my F350 and Toyhauler.

18-Jun-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I got a 1500 Generator to run the microwave, Tv and to fast charge any devises like iPhone ect.

The cooler (120qrt) drains out the floor of melting ice, the clothes hanger is nice for transit then I just hang them in the Annex Room

The Black box holds all my Extra Chit man and doubles as my sofa while cooking ect.

The hanging Black bags are my 'cupboards' for basically anything I put in them...

18-Jun-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
The Annex Room zips to the folded out Roof Top Tent and has a great rubber floor and the zippers are very heavy Duty

18-Jun-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Plenty of room inside the Annex Room for just about anything a guy wants to use it for

18-Jun-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
It sets-up in about 15 minutes ~~ including the Roof top Tent, Annex Room and the side Awning.

I gotta go for now, more to follow...…

thanks for looking,

#LovinLife

Robb

18-Jun-18
So you sleep up top?

18-Jun-18
That is a sweet looking setup

18-Jun-18
Which brand of RTT did you go with? I have also looked for a while and like the Tepui brand but haven't found the extra $2,000 yet to acquire one.

18-Jun-18
I like it, but the sleep on top deal wouldn't go well with having to get up and pee during the night. haha

18-Jun-18
Looks pretty awesome Robb!

19-Jun-18
That is sweet!

19-Jun-18
Looks badass!

19-Jun-18

BULELK1's Link
'morning,

Thanks for the comments and PM's

here is a link to the TuffStuff site

They add in a lot of real nice goodies and the shipping is Free in like 3 days delivery

Good luck, Robb

PS~~ you do not have to buy the 'Sale Package" as you can go in and order just the Tent ya want and go from there.

19-Jun-18
I was up in Wyoming/Greys River area shooting some footage for a couple of our Bowsite Family fella's that applied for Region G.

Yes you sleep up in the tent via a removable ladder set-up

19-Jun-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo

19-Jun-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo

19-Jun-18
If the weather is bad and I want to lay the RFTP Tent down and sleep inside the UtTrlr all I have to do is slide the black storage box out and sleep on my backpack pad as the floor is carpeted and comfy

I set the Annex Room up with the UtTrld door open inside the Annex Rm so I can close the door if needed as it was down to 31 degrees last Thursday morning when I went in to make some Joe.

#LovinLife

Robb

19-Jun-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Even though the UtTrlr is small 5 x 8 it's 7ft high on the exterior ---------->

So to compensate and to have good leverage Height to set-up and take down I have a small 6ft ladder with me

19-Jun-18
While in transit I simply use heavy duty ties (2ea per rack) to secure the lil ladder so it is safe and doesn't come off while driving.

I did have to get up about 0145 and 'pee' and yes it was freaking cold outside!

Thanks for looking

#LovinLife

Robb

19-Jun-18

BULELK1's Link
Here is a Set-Up video on a Toyota Tacoma and take down

I am not as fast as him!!! haha

Good luck, Robb

19-Jun-18
Have you had the tent out in big winds yet? I have read that can be an issue. How about rain? (Snow, probably not yet...)

19-Jun-18
Be damn careful on that roof unless you reinforced it. They are weak to say the least.

19-Jun-18
I will second Elkman’s comment. Be careful up on top of that thing! You may want to brace that area of the roof from the inside. I have had issues with snow load on those box trailers warping the roof panels and metal to the point that they pop the rivets and cause leaking inside.

Cool concept and looks good, Robb! Provides a lot of covered space very simply with the box trailer that can be used for other stuff the rest of the year!

I might worry about wind in certain areas with that and wand good anchors for the top tent as well. Heck, there are some places in Wyoming for antelope and deer hunts that I might want anchors for the whole dang trailer!

19-Jun-18

SoDakSooner's embedded Photo
Colorado Elk 2017
Colorado Elk 2017
With Trailer
With Trailer
We like our setup. RTT's are the way to go in my book, especially if you like to move a lot. We run it on the Jeep and on a trailer (military M101a2)

20-Jun-18
Damn nice set-up SDS!

You had a pic on a thread last year?? with your RFTP-Tent opened up on your JP

Good Luck, Robb

20-Jun-18

BULELK1's Link
Here is a link to TuffStuff's RFTP Tent Trlr

Pretty Kool

20-Jun-18
2 items of Negative aspects I had during my year of Research was wind and mobility.

Many peep's I talked to that had one in camp said that they had to break camp down to drive anywhere with the RFTP Tent ON their vehicle, so I definitely didn't want to do that.

Wind and weather are prolly the #1 condition that any of us have No control over, Campsite selection is no doubt #1 priority.

After I made the big move and got it on top of my lil UtlTrlr I left it open/set-up while I learned and customized/modified it to Flow with the lil UtlTrlr. That week in May we had some very strong Thunderstorms and the associated big wind and downpours. No problems what so ever in the mornings after a night of bad weather...... Plus it can fold down in like 10 minutes and I can sleep inside the lil UtlTrlr.

I hope that helps your PM's and posts on here questions??

Good luck, Robb

20-Jun-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
After I got my RFTP Tent delivered, got all the measurements for installing on top of the lil UtlTrlr, I reinforced the roof.

My friend is a Structural Eng and she pretty much put together the steel support braces positioning.

I welded everything in place and installed the RFTP Tent.

20-Jun-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
This view is from laying on the floor and looking UP at the braces/supports

20-Jun-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I take my eAssist bike with me and it stores during transit/travel between the cook table and the black storage box

Of course I secure it ect.

Plenty of room for a Motor/Dirt bike if a guy has one of them.

20-Jun-18
It's a backcountry penthouse suite!

Looks good, Robb, and that Jeep is BA.

20-Jun-18
SDS - I had stayed away from the m101a2 (3/4 ton) trailer with my FJ because of the additional weight over a m101/m416 (1/4 ton). Which Jeep is that and how is the towing? (I found a m101 for $500 but there aren't as many for sale as the 3/4 ton ones.)

Also, did you add trailer jack(s) to the m101a2 to stabilize for the tent or do you have to leave it attached to the jeep? What do you think of the CVT?

20-Jun-18
Where does the non-motorized bike go? ;)

21-Jun-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
My 3rd Goal on this trip (1st -shoot some vid for 2 bowsite guys region G deer, 2nd- test run use of this RFTP Tent) was to do some eAssist bike riding with 100lbs of dead weight.

21-Jun-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I use two 6 gallon water jugs filled with water and put 1 in each side pannier.

While training at home on pavement with 100lbs on the ass end, it did make a 'uge difference in ride stability. I wanted to get use to having a load of elk meat and riding.

It was definitely a learning curve on loose dirt/rocks and rough riding.

21-Jun-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
That wraps this trip up!

Thanks for looking

Next trip to share is Wyo 26 Moose-Eastside getting some vid footage and pix for a Bowsite Family bowhunter that drew that tag for this fall.

I leave this Sunday for that trip.

Be safe All

#LovinLife

Robb

21-Jun-18
Robb - there are so many more questions that I now have after that last picture.

Is that your camo? Is the picture taken in your bike shop or your hunting shop? Why are you inside a convenience store?

It has been fun seeing your entire setup. I will be waiting for further for your reviews of the camping equipment. (I hadn't thought of the RTT on the trailer idea so that your auto is free to explore - but I will have to weld some sort of frame to hold it.)

22-Jun-18
No worries---------->

I rode up to a Gas Station in Alpine ~~ I always wear bright colors so I can be seen and hopefully not run over.

We took pix as many at the GS had not seen a bike set-up like mine.

Good luck, Robb

22-Jun-18

22-Jun-18
I had 9 of these military trailers and sold/ converted them into off road campers back in 2003-11... kept 3...this one has the Tepui Ayer RTT usually mounted on top...Tow it behind the Wrangler or Taco...

22-Jun-18

PO Cedar's embedded Photo
PO Cedar's embedded Photo

13-Oct-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I finally got a chance to change from a camping trlr set-up to the actual Combo part of my set-up as a simple enclosed utility trlr.

My camping part of my hunting season is over (Single Digits in Wyoming this coming week for my elk hunt up there) for this fall so I will just stay in cabins in my hunting states remaining. I'm heading back up to Wyoming because my Dad past away right in the middle of my September Wyo Bow Elk Camp and I of course broke camp and came home.

I am all set for what ever species/state/weapon thru December now. All I have to do is laundry and misc after trip stuff, re pack minor items and hook-up to my F350 or the Jeep and Off I go.

Thus the title to my thread Combo Camp and how very versitile 1 utility trlr can be.

Thanks for looking

#LovinLife,

Robb

13-Oct-18

13-Oct-18
Sorry to hear about your father Robb.

Good luck on the elk hunt. Sounds a bit too chilly for my blood.

13-Oct-18
Good luck Man.

13-Oct-18
Sorry for your loss. Good luck

15-Oct-18
We do the same thing with our 14 foot Mirage

15-Oct-18
Sorry about your father. Keep us posted. Thanks

15-Oct-18
Outstanding looking camp.

Really sorry about your dad. I lost mine 6 years ago and it still stings.

15-Oct-18
Yep, sorry for your loss and hopefully you have many great experiences with him in the memory vault.

Only thing missing from your setup is an empty 1.75L orange juice bottle to eliminate those unpleasant 1 a.m. journeys outside to pee... ;-)

22-Oct-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Thanks for the kind words Fella's, it hasn't been easy loosing the cornerstone/foundation of life.

Sorry for the late response as I have been up in Wyo chasing them Dang elk.

When I am off hunting I rarely get on the Internet as I just want to be gone from it all, cell messages is about it.

That's kool Elkman ~~ what RoofTop Tent did ya put on top of your Mirage? Combo Camp?

I like to use all three options I have available, so yes weather is of concern and of course comfort and enjoyable setting.

I like this Combo Camp for late Spring/Summer scouting trips.

My 22ft Toy Hauler for those September bow elk hunts, it has a nice 110 gallon water tank and a Push button built in Generator, nice if the early heavy wet snow hits.

Good luck, Robb

22-Oct-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
When it gets that bitter single digit frigid Cold I stay inside in a nice Cabin or depending my state hunting, a kool Condo setting.

I don't mind driving a few extra miles to hunt so I can be comfy and not Miserable from freezing temps! haha

22-Oct-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo

22-Oct-18

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Thanks again for the Kind words of support.

I appreciate ya'll taking the time viewing.

#LovinLife,

Robb

• Sitka Gear