Jack Harris 30-Jul-18
carcus 30-Jul-18
Jack Harris 30-Jul-18
DMTJAGER 01-Aug-18
spike78 01-Aug-18
mattandersen 01-Aug-18
mano-a-mano 07-Aug-18
18-Jun-18
My main hunting bow is a 2010 Matthews z7. Replaced the sh#tty wide pretty wood handle with a focus handle right after I bought it. To say this bow has been very very good to me would be the understatement of the century. Smooth, Quiet, Fast, Reliable - killer. Easy to tune, and I am on my 3rd string and cables but it's time for my 4th - OR A NEW BOW?

I test drove a lot of bows last year - Matthews, Hoyt, and Elite.... Nothing even remotely impressed me enough to say the next quantum leap has arrived. I suspect it's not happening this year either. Just looking at bow reviews, same old BS crap... I feel compound bows have hit a functional "stalemate" for the most part, although marketing would try to tell me otherwise.

I am not going to quibble over 10-30 FPS, my bow is real fast at 65# and although there are bows that shoot maybe 30 FPS faster today, I don't feel those bows shoot as well because I tried them they are shorter brace heights, shorter ATA and far less forgiving and again - speed doesn't kill hemorrhaging does.

Is it me? Or - have we hit a wall with compound technology?

I am most likely going to put new cables and string on this bow shortly and hunt another year or two or more out of it, and still keep shooting my recurve and maybe that will excite me. I just can't justify a new bow - nothing out there seems worth it???

Am I being ignorant - or is there really no new "holy grail" of compounds out there this year and definitely not last year based on my test drives? I have looked at all the new bows specs for this year, shot a lot last year - why doesn't anything excite me?

18-Jun-18
I am shooting 9.3 GPI arrows and 125 gr VPAs... Best setup ever for this bow but probably brought the initial IBO speed from 315 down considerably never put on chrono. Total arrow weight with BH is 465gr.

18-Jun-18
Nothing earth shattering on the market, likely shoot the same '14 compound bow I have currently for quite awhile. I see no sense in a new one.

18-Jun-18
It’s all a matter of perspective. When you have a short DL, that 10-30 FPS you don’t quibble about...I do. Same thing goes for a short brace height. 6” may be “unforgiving” for someone with a 29 or 30” DL, but it certainly isn’t for someone that shoots 26”.

Ok, I’ll get off my rant. ;-). I think you may be on to something. Technology can only go so far with bows. To gain more speed, comfort has to be compromised.

I have a 2015 BowTech BTX-28, and a 2015 Elite Impulse 31. I’ve shot a bunch, looking for my last bow (I’ll soon be 65). I’ve found nothing I like as well. Except...the Xpedition Excursion 6. For me, that bow is a dream. Of course, when I decide to get one once the new years model comes out, it’ll probably be discontinued. lol!

18-Jun-18
You could try switching to a good long bow and learn to hunt all over again...

19-Jun-18
I feel just like you and have felt that way for some time. Just like cars. I went back to Oneida and (so far) this is the bow that changed it all for me. I also got everything off the bow. No sights, stabilizers or anything else (aside from a rest and nocking point. Life (for me) has improved since.

It's like buying a 69 road runner in 2018. You might find that the 69 is actually a whole lot better than the best 2018 out there.

19-Jun-18
Yeah, a ' 69 Road Runner is a better car than what's made today......except the terrible steering, god awful brakes, horrendous suspension, inefficient fuel management, excessive body flex and poor horsepower to displacement ratio. So at least the comparison to Oneida is accurate.

19-Jun-18
Why fix what isn't broken?

19-Jun-18

Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Everyone has their idea of what's exciting. For me, technology passed up my version of the right bow a long time ago. No doubt they will get faster, smoother, easier to keep in tune, quieter, etc..

I only give a quick glance if I see a new Challenger at the stop light. When a nice 1969 Roadrunner pulls up, I have to be careful not to strain my neck.

19-Jun-18
I still use my 2009 APA Black Mamba II. The APA bows have some key things over the American bows that would make me get another if I ever got in the market for a new one. The limb hanger built into the riser is priceless if you sit in a stand for long periods. I am surprised other bow manufactures haven't ripped off the idea yet.

19-Jun-18

JW's embedded Photo
JW's embedded Photo
Go shoot a Bowtech Realm X. I’ve had a pile of bows in the last 25 years and nothing comes close. Unbelievably smooth, forgiving, very fast and crazy accurate. Give one a try and you might be pleasantly surprised.

This is a group at 25 yards with a fixed broad head and (2) bare shafts @ 317fps...

19-Jun-18
Bowtechs are at the top of the pack, powershift technology is a great option to have, static yokes top and bottom, new limbs, for me its bowtech or nothing

19-Jun-18
I haven't ever shot bowtech - just figured between Matthews, Elite, and Hoyt - how much different could another bow be? I do find shooting my recurve to be more fun anyway - just need to get over that confidence hump and hunt with it... Been saying that for 3 years now LOL.

19-Jun-18
All of them excite me, my 07 Drenalin is what I like best but technologically I know that is inferior in many ways.

19-Jun-18
I went back to a Mathews Switchback XT. Just couldn’t find one I liked better. I think technology peaked several years ago.

19-Jun-18
08 bowtech guardian still killing just fine....I tried the experience and all the shop owner kept saying is how crazy fast it was....I walked out and haven’t been back

19-Jun-18
It is need vs want. If you want a new bow you will convince yourself the new ones are better. If you like your old bow and don't feel like you 'need' a new bow then you will struggle to find one that meets your expectations. I think there are still improvements with new bows but they are subtle. Shooting a few arrows on a bare bow won't blow your socks off, but if you get home, set it up and shoot it for a few weeks and then go back to your old bow you will wonder how you ever shot it for so long:)

Matt

19-Jun-18
Switchback XT is a great bow , wish I still had my Outback .

19-Jun-18
None have excited me since 2002

19-Jun-18
Nothing wrong with getting hung up on a bow for a long time... Just be damn sure it's a "good one"...

19-Jun-18
I agree with the OP. Seems like there hasn't been a ton of change lately. I'm actually ok with that and wondering what will be the next big thing. They've come along ways already.....the next big thing may be the thing that ruins it. Its a tricky spot, at some point I don't want these bows to get any faster or more efficient. Wont be a bow anymore at that point.

19-Jun-18
The wall was hit years ago.

19-Jun-18
My compound bow is longer ATA, faster at the same brace height, and weighs less than your Mathews. It also meets or beats advertised IBO (especially with heavy arrows), doesn't have a spongy back wall, and tunes like a dream with a static yoke. If you're happy with yours then by all means keep shooting it. Personally I'm finding myself lately with a trad bow in my hands much more than a compound. It's all about what makes YOU happy.

19-Jun-18
Have you shot one of the new oneidas boreal? They feel pretty stinkin good in hand!

19-Jun-18
Buying new bows all the time is addictive like a drug.

Is there any kind of a Bow Buying Anonymous support group out there...?

That Xpedition line are good shooters.

19-Jun-18
If your current bow is plenty fast and you shoot it well...why would you be looking for another bow? Looks like you have already found the best bow for you.

19-Jun-18
I agree with the OP. I am still shooting my Diamond Black Ice, circa 08. I don't want a different bow, I have loved this one since day one. I shoot a new bow at a shop every few years, nothing gets me aroused. Recurves and longbows are different, I want to shoot them all!

19-Jun-18
Just the price alone has me shy away from New bows. My older bows will kill just as good as a new brand x model. The last new bow I had was a Mathews Halon 32. I regretted it soon after buying it. It was quiet,smooth and dead in the hand. But I didn't shoot it any better then my older bows.

19-Jun-18
No compounds excite me. It ain’t the bow, it’s the injun.

19-Jun-18
I agree with Botsky: You could have definitely got hung on a "better bow"...

19-Jun-18
"Is it me? Or - have we hit a wall with compound technology?"

Jack, certain aspects of compound bow technology have hit walls, or maybe a better way to put it is that there aren't as many tech leaps and bounds to make anymore.

Engineering is always striving for continuous improvement, but the reality nowadays is the improvements may be subtle to the point that the end user doesn't readily see or experience them, and so they are met with skepticism. As such, convincing consumers that "its the best bow (we've) ever developed" becomes very difficult for marketing, especially considering how many archers these days are delving more into the technical side of archery. Now bubba can go on the internet to search forums and facebook for everything he needs to know on any bow out there. Technologies in today's bows are less of a mystery and more widely understood by the masses... that's just the way it is.

Where you can expect to see changes in bow technology I would predict are going to pertain to efficiencies within parts of the system, and materials selection/ use. Cam technologies and cable management will probably also see some new ideas/ improvements in the coming years. Think more efficient cam systems with less wasted energy resulting in better speed and feel at the shot/ post shot. Integration of carbon/ aluminum in riser designs to a greater extent than we are seeing now could happen as well. With this all said though, lighter, faster, and smaller isn't the "one size fits all" answer in archery. This in turn allows companies to focus on 1 (2 or 3) major overhauls or new designs each year within a specific bow category, while just tweaking others very slightly, be it functionally or aesthetically.

19-Jun-18
Prices will continue to go up, as there are enough guys that buy a new bow or 2 or 3 every year because they want the latest and greatest.

19-Jun-18
Jack go shoot the Bowtech Reign 7, my buddy Glenn who you met a few years back in Ohio who was always a Mathews guy shot one, loved it and bought one. He shoots year round in leagues and hunts. I've shot one too. It's very similar to my Bowtech Experience but a lot smoother draw, mine is a bit jumpy...but an efficient killer none the less.

19-Jun-18
Mathews z7 was one of the best most solid, stoutest bows Mathews ever built. I owned one and loved it.

Currently working with a 2018 Elite Ritual. Have been very impressed with it so far. My backup is an Elite Synergy. Also a bow I’ve been very pleased shooting and hunting with for the last couple of years.

I personally like to take advantage of technology, especially at my age.

19-Jun-18
There is nothing wrong with keeping a bow you like. Bows get incrementally better every year and if you need something to be >than 30fps faster than your bow to upgrade, you will be waiting a while if you expect the same level of harshness of cam.

It sounds like you are perfectly happy with your bow, keep it and blow your money on tags. :)

19-Jun-18
Waiting for that quantum leap...yet in other threads we all quibble about that tech has gone too far - oh the irony :)

I've got a Switchback XT and upgraded to a Bowtech Prodigy a year or two ago. It's quicker, quieter, dual static yokes...

19-Jun-18
The improvements are so subtle anymore that it only makes sense to buy a new bow if you just have the itch for a new one. I have been an Elite guy for the past 10 years and have either shot or owned most of them produced in that time. I love the old GT500's, but recently made the switch to the Ritual. Are there improvements with the Ritual? Sure. Are there improvements enough to warrant buying a $1000 new bow over picking up a $300 GT500? No. I went to the Ritual simply because I wanted a new bow. Those GT500's would have kept killing deer for the next 20 years no problem.

Bow technology has leveled off. No one really makes a bad bow. Lots of great bows out there from brand new to 10 years old (or older). Bow prices now are insane and I don't blame anyone for wanting to keep an older bow or pick up a used bow that is only a couple of years old for $500 or less.

19-Jun-18
Jack, I agree with your assessment that between Matthews, Hoyt, and Elite, all great bows, there isn't much difference. The one big difference in the top four bows is the twin yoke system in the Bowtech line. This was huge for me. Once I shot and tuned a Bowtech Assassin 7 years ago, I sold 4 Hoytes and an Elite, and started a quiver of Bowtechs. I now have Experiences. If I was looking for a new bow, I'd get a Bowtech Realm. Try shooting and tuning a twin-yoke system. Good Luck.

19-Jun-18
"why nothing exciting today from manufactures". Even the manufactures of Compound bow have seen the light. ie, now many have added the xbow to their line up to keep their production up and their name in the game.

I am with many here, the older 10 year old compound bows seem as good as the newer ones in most cases and the arrow released, kills an animal just as fast as anything on the market today.

19-Jun-18
I'm a Darton person. Hunter is Ex Vegas & this years dedicated targets is Maverick.

19-Jun-18
Exactly why should I get excited about " twin yoke system" ?

19-Jun-18
all the $$$ is in Xbows the last five or so years, and coming soon to your state the "airbow"

19-Jun-18
I hit a bit of apathy on liking a new bow so I built my own and killed an elk with it. That put the fun level up a bit.

19-Jun-18
"Exactly why should I get excited about " twin yoke system" ?"

They allow you to manipulate cam lean for perfect tuning. You really only need one yoke IMO but if one is good lots of people think two is better.

19-Jun-18
"They allow you to manipulate cam lean for perfect tuning. You really only need one yoke IMO but if one is good lots of people think two is better"

And does that require a bow press (which I do NOT have) ?

19-Jun-18
DEC I would agree from the surface its hard to justify the extra $700, but when it gets down to the fine details and truly engineered performance as a whole, therein lies the differences between the GT-500 and Ritual. Even if the overall feel is comparable between the two to you, the grip on the Ritual is markedly better than the old style Elite grip. That alone will help tremendously to promote consistent hand placement and accuracy.

Jack if you get a chance shoot some arrows through an Elite Ritual or Bowtech RealmX!

19-Jun-18

PAbowhunter1064's embedded Photo
Jack, Maybe you don't need a "new" bow, but rather a "new to you" bow? I've shot my trusty ol' 2011 Hoyt ProHawk for the past 7 years, but kinda had the itch to buy something newer. I can't afford or justify spending $1k+ for a new bow, especially when they hold such little resale value. That got me thinking, and I started hitting the classified section on another archery website, looking for what was out there. I always liked PSE bows, and remembered liking the feel of the BowMadness 34's. In no time at all, I picked this gem up for a mere $350...a 2016 that retailed for $899.99 less than 2 years ago.

19-Jun-18

I purchased some new accesories, strings & cables, and got a heck of a deal on an HHA single pin sight, and put it all together.

19-Jun-18

Dooner's Link
Jack, for me a bow press eventually became a no-brainer. My proshop was an hour drive away, and a major time-warp when I got there. If you're interested, I have attached a link to a great press. The Bowtechs are the most tunable bows on the market, and they are fast. Good Luck

19-Jun-18

I ordered some Beman ICS Classic 340 shafts, (cuz' they're made in America!), some new UBP arrow wraps, Bohning Heat vanes, and fletched up some arrows to match my "new to me" bow. All said and done, I have less than $800 invested in this whole setup, and it shoots like a dream. I wish I would've done this sooner, and the coolest thing is that I personalized this bow to ME. I shoot more often than I was, and the flame has been rekindled! Don't overlook the "used" bows that sell for a fraction of what the new ones do.

19-Jun-18
Depends on what you call a "wall". They've had very fast bows for some time now. But at that higher edges, mostly unforgiving and sons of guns to tune.

Many of the newer ones are a bit faster than even a year or three ago, but mostly have much better manners both shooting and tuning. WRT yokes I'll never own another that doesn't have at least one, they just tune so much better/easier. Two is better. But then if you just shoot to 20-30 yards out of a tree in the whitetail woods, tuning and fiddling with a new bow is likely unnecessary. It would have to be a real messed up pile for it not to work somehow.

The z7 was/is a decent bow. There are likely 8 or 10 out there now that are better by nearly any or all measures. Maybe even one or two that carry the Mathews name..... =D

19-Jun-18
I don't disagree Saddlereaper. That is why I dropped the coin for the new Ritual. Even though I loved my old GT500's, my Z28, my Answer, my Hunter, and most of the other Elites, the Ritual just is more refined. The riser technology, split limbs, and grip (ohhh that grip!) all make it a better bow. I keep referring to it as a perfected GT500. Still that being said for a lot of guys it is hard to justify that extra $700 over what was already an excellent bow that is older. For me, it wasn't hard to justify at all. Even my wife didn't complain when I spent the money ... which that alone is "winning" ... LOL.

19-Jun-18
The drawboard attachment to the EZ Green is nice to have as well.

19-Jun-18
Come on Jack, me thinks you are fishing these days for Fish and or ladies. FOCUS!

19-Jun-18
"Is it me? Or - have we hit a wall with compound technology?"

I think you may have hit a wall Jack! LOL. Just don't do it too many times as it starts to hurt.

Honestly, I agree with you. I have three Elites, a 2010, a 2015 and a 2016 and the oldest one shoots right with the newer ones, if not better. What I've noticed is the newer ones are much quieter and have less hand shock, but as far as hitting where I'm aiming, there's no difference.

19-Jun-18
DEC, how do you compare the Ritual to the Hunter?

19-Jun-18
I've only owned 4 elites a E500, Eforce, synergy XXL, and a pure, all really nice but tough to tune without yokes

19-Jun-18
I have a 15 elite, don’t think I will get rid of it for a few years.

19-Jun-18
"Come on Jack, me thinks you are fishing these days for Fish and or ladies. FOCUS! "

Yes to the fishing (Abaco soon) but met a "keeper" 2 years ago and at age 54 - I been "engaged" to her a year. No rush though.

I may go shoot a PRIME as well as BOWTECH - two bows I have yet to try. Next thing you know I will be yoke tuning on my own bowpress… (or just put new string and cables on this z7 and keep working on the recurve skills)

19-Jun-18
Good for you Jack! Best always!

20-Jun-18
Spike78 ... Ritual vs Hunter ... Overall I like the Ritual way better. The Hunter is a fine bow. I still own one actually, as well as a Z28. Sold one GT500 and trying to sell my other one. But Hunter is no doubt smooth as butter. The Ritual is stiffer but smooth. It is very similar to the draw cycle on a GT500, where as the Hunter and the Z28 were very gentile in how the poundage builds. The Ritual drops into the valley smoother though than the early Elites. The valley is still generous like the old Rev cams, but it doesn't drop as sharply. It is absolutely dead at the shot and quiet. It is an improvement over all of the others, IMO. But it does feel different to draw than a Hunter. Oh ... and the Ritual has that grip! I am telling you, this grip is the nicest design to come out of Elite yet. Everyone that I have spoke to or read comments from, loves the feel of the grip and how repeatable hand positioning is.

Not sure if that helps or not.

20-Jun-18
Sorry double post ... oops.

20-Jun-18
Try one of them testosterone enhancement pills and see if that changes anything! Could be you're just getting smarter and realize in your subconscious the bow you used last year and the year before will do just fine this year, too.. Part of aging is realizing you don't need the latest greatest model bow and there's nothing wrong with getting by with last year's model. Besides, they don't exactly give 'em away these days.

20-Jun-18
Bowtech Reign 6! Bow of the year 2 years in a row.

20-Jun-18
South farm I agree. I traded in my Hoyt carbon defiant for a Mathews Triax. It does everything they say. VERY quiet, dead in the hand, good draw cycle. Accurate. BUT! After the novelty wears off, it doesn’t shoot itself. It’s still just a gadget that relies on the person shooting it. I am no more accurate than I was with my last two or three bows. If I hadn’t gotten a fair price for the Hoyt it would not be worth the price. It is a cute little thing though.

20-Jun-18
Jack Harris.....for occasional work on your bow, a BowMaster or BowMedic portable press is a reasonable option, that can be bought for less than 50.00.

20-Jun-18

20-Jun-18
Try any PSE with the Evolve cam. I was absolutely positive I was going home with a new Triax a few months ago. I shot a new Evolve 31 and absolutely loved it. IMO there are on "bad" bows anymore. They are all pretty damn good, you just have to pick which flavor you like.

20-Jun-18
DEC is the grip permanent or changeable?

20-Jun-18
I think someone needs to figure out a new little blue pill for the older archery guys to bring the "excitement" back.

20-Jun-18

IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo

20-Jun-18
Ike, much better with the photo! Ha!

20-Jun-18
Good for you Jack Harris. I bought a 2010 D350 in November of '09. Since then I've test driven a bunch. 8 years later, it's still a swift killer provided I'm on my game. I haven't found one yet that feels like an extension like this bow ;)

Lol Glunt at Work. I feel the same way when I see a '69 GTX factory 4 speed. So much you could do with those. The HP-383's and the 440 Magnums alone were enough to make one cream his jeans. But a Hemi? Awe crap! I feel multiple orgasms coming on ;)

20-Jun-18

Tonybear61's embedded Photo
68 Olds all tricked out
68 Olds all tricked out
Old bows are like old cars, great to look at plenty of memories but in many ways the new ones work better.

20-Jun-18

Selfbow at 20 yds
Selfbow at 20 yds
Old bow probably shoots better than I do..

Still pull out the old Golden Eagle and Bear compounds when I shoot carp.

20-Jun-18
Why I went back to where I started, an old recurve. Kill more animals now than I did with my compound just have to practice more which for me makes it a year long activity.

20-Jun-18
I bought an Obsession Evolution in 2014. They may bury me with it. Most accurate and fastest bow I've ever owned. I see no reason to replace it. If anything, I may find another one on Ebay as a spare, but being a lefty, that's always hit or miss.

21-Jun-18
Spike78

The grip on a Ritual has 2 in-laid side plates held on via 1 screw. They are minimalist in nature so they can be removed or wrapped over if you so choose, or retro fitted with custom plates. I designed it that way intentionally :)

21-Jun-18
I agree with Matt P way above. There are some improvement but very subtle. I myself like Mathews bows and I have shot all the newer ones the last 5 years. None really impressed me much more than my 2013 ZXT until this year. The new Triax handle and feels very much like my ZXT until you shoot it. It is the most silent vibration free bow I have ever shot, was I impressed? Yes but not enough to buy it, I shoot my ZXT very well and that subtle change was not enough for me to spend another grand on a new bow. As most have said if you love what you have and it is a killer just keep it and put the money towards a hunt or something for the old lady to keep her happy! Shawn

21-Jun-18
I'm a weird one in that I greatly enjoy archery hunting, but I don't really enjoy archery. :) Shooting a bow is just practice to run sharp sticks through live animals. I don't really like the practice aspect. I hate setting up bows. I tend to get it set and leave it

I have a Mathews Heli-M, and while I like the looks and feel of the new Triax, I have no plans on buying anything new anytime soon. I just don't shoot enough or hunt enough to justify it.

I've promised myself that the next bow I buy will be an 80lber for a Cape Buff hunt. Since I'm a LONG ways from booking that hunt, seems like if I keep my promise, I'll be shooting the Heli-M for a while.

21-Jun-18
I'm similar to Bake. I hate setting up bows. I do not enjoy tuning. I don't like fletching arrows, etc. I don't have a lot of fun shooting my compound, not because of the drudgery of practice, but rather because there's not really any challenge in it anymore. I do, though, really enjoy shooting my recurve.

I'm still shooting my Bowtech Invasion which I think was a 2010 model year bow. It shoots great and I have absolute confidence with it. The only reason I'm considering getting a new bow is because I want a carbon bow for weight and warmth reasons, but I'll probably by last year's bow as pointed out by Bou'bound, that you can get a brand new (last year's) bow on ebay and save $500. That's 10 bottles of Balvenie 12 year, ie: worth it to me.

21-Jun-18
"no new compounds excite me - why?"

'Cuz they're BORING!!!

LOL...

Maybe you're due for some string-time?

21-Jun-18
I see very few improvements the past 10 years... and the last five even less change. I know I went through a period where I had to have the newest... newest fly rod, newest bow and newest gun. I finally figured out how much money and energy I was wasting purchasing and setting up new gear every year or two. Any good bow made in the last 50 years can and will kill big game. Most bows made in the last 10 years should be good for the remainder of a lifetime... or at least another 10-15 years of flinging arrows.

21-Jun-18
JADED ?

21-Jun-18
The newer bows are pushing the limit for ugliness, not interested although I'm not anti compound. A beautiful recurve plus the STAR aiming and non mechanical releases are a great solution, but not quite ready for the public although I have now manufactured 2000 releases and I'll be giving some of these away late this year.

21-Jun-18
Hahaha...some of u guys r like sticks in the mud! Of course the new bows r better!!! :) The new bows are awesome! Super smooth draw cycles, little to no hand shock, great back walls, higher tolerances, and super sweet Camo patterns. Additionally, the bows are incredibly accurate and consistent.

21-Jun-18
I have a Mathews Drenalin and a Heli’m. The Drenalin is the only bow I’ve ever owned that I’ll never sell. It’s kinda sloppy and forgiving of my form. This spring my buddy and I shot enough to kill bears with a single string, which we did. And although I enjoyed practicing with the recurves, I didn’t like hunting with it and probably never will again. Maybe if I got one of David’s releases I’d use it for spring bears again.

I shoot new bows just for fun and set some up for friends, but I not tempted or eager to buy one. I just turned sixty five yesterday, so maybe I’m sensitive to old things still be useful :)

21-Jun-18
I would shoot my bow just as much if bowhunting were outlawed tomorrow. I bowhunt because I love hunting and getting to do it with bows I love shooting makes it a pretty special thing. The strain in my shoulders, the weight of the string on my fingers, settling my self to concentrate on a spot and a smooth release, watching an arrow arc towards it's mark...excuse me, I need to go shoot a few arrows in the back yard.

22-Jun-18
Still love my 2016 Prime Rize, best shooting bow I have ever had!

22-Jun-18
Ambush, Happy Birthday!! And keep getting it done for a few more decades with the Drenalin and Heli'm, not to mention +20 year old Spitfires!

As per bows, I've settled in on a long run with a Prime Rival.

22-Jun-18
I do love the subject so I will comment again. I had a Oregon Black Knight before Bowtech bought them out. It was the fastest bow for (seemingly) ever, even after Bowtech bought them and kept making it. It took forever for anyone to even get close to the BK and that includes the Mathews version which was basically a B.S. story that was an attempted sell to anyone who was a Mathews fan. Not even close was their bow. Anyway... Here I am, back 15 years later and seeing bows that still are chasing the BK. Yes they are maybe 10% faster (big whoop) and yes they might have 1/2" more brace (big whoop) but basically.... They are minimally better than a bow that was made by a manufacturer that most people dont even remember.

Dont fall victim to marketing folks. Dont fall prey to ignorance and hype.

22-Jun-18
I said 10% faster than a BK. I should have said..... 3% If anyone made a bow that was 10% faster than the Black Knight, it would have been a crossbow.

22-Jun-18
"and super sweet Camo patterns" Anyone actually buy a bow because of the camo pattern?

22-Jun-18
I have watched 2 wives lean hard on a camo pattern PECO. Now-a-days?.... I am sure there are even more "women" being drawn to such window dressing. But... Dont ask/dont tell.

09-Jul-18
Went to my local shop with my 2010 Matthews Z7, with intention of trying out the TRIAX next to my current bow. Shot the z7 first set at 65#, haven't shot it since winter bow. Quiet, dead in hand, fast as expected. Shot the TRIAX at 60# and wasn't expecting much as I had done this last year vs the Halon 32.... However - something about it truly felt "better". Liked the valley, even quieter and deader in hand which I didn't think possible due to much shorter ATA and shorter brace height. Shot 5 more with my bow... Shot 5 more with TRIAX. I guess I was just "ready"... Soooooo… I custom ordered the standard camo but with black limbs which looks cool, and custom black and bright green string. Getting an IQ 3 pin sight, QAD Ultra rest, 4 arrow Matthews quiver and will pick her up in 2 weeks. Just have to decide on the new Matthews stabilizer, or the b-stinger (at half the price so probably will be the b-stinger). Will get her in about 2 weeks. Now I have a really good back up bow (just in case). Not gonna sell old faithful.

09-Jul-18
I shot the Triax and yes it is a great bow as much as I wanted to hate Mathews. I just got my Gearhead bow in and haven’t set it up yet but I’m hoping I made the right decision vs the Triax.

09-Jul-18
Spike, why do you want to hate Mathews?

09-Jul-18
PECO, I guess I just didn’t want what everyone has. Everyone has a lab so I got a Wirehair Pointing Griffon lol. Not really any great reason I just didn’t want to be part of the fan club. I think in reality smaller companies have just as good and maybe better. I shot a HeliM next to an Elite and it was an easy decision to go with the Elite. When I shot the Triax it was impressive no doubt and I was going to get it. I like the Gearhead because it’s just different. I drew mine back and holy crap I thought Elite had a solid backwall but I think this has it beat. I will say it is definitely harder to draw back in the beginning.

09-Jul-18
I have not looked at new bows in several years, despite a pro shop trying to convince me to do so. In 13, I bought a Faktor 34. Think it was $1000 plus all the accessories, close to $1500 all in. A year later I bought the same bow, discontinued at I believe $500, NIB. So I now have two bows with exact specs and accessories. I shoot them better than any other bow I ever had in 42 years at this sport. The new bows may have a few FPS on mine. They may have a smoother draw though that’s subjective. And they may have some other marketing attributes. But in my view, not much has really changed. Also I’m a longer ATA preference guy vs shorter, which limits the market for me. I consider myself very avid in this sport. I can afford new bows every year. Am I going to drop a couple grand plus for two bows (including a back up) when the technology is barely creeping forward, fat chance.

09-Jul-18
I still shoot a 1999 Mathews MQ1...Have yet to find another bow that shoots as well or smoother than that one. It cost me $998.38 new. Still have the receipt. That included a Mathews quiver...Had to replace the limbs once, but Mathews warranted them...

09-Jul-18
Those Gearhead bows are different. The Safari series is quite sexy, although I don't like the grip hanging out behind the riser.

09-Jul-18
PECO the grip is surprisingly very nice and they sell different ones along with a slider to make your draw length perfect. It truly looks tactical when you see it in person. The neat thing is that everything can be contained in between the riser so nothing can get bumped while hunting. I bought a Copper John sight that instead of sticking in front of the riser it goes in reverse so your not aiming as far in between the peep and pin. Since it doesn’t stick out of bow less to snag in the woods. If you can shoot it well it truly is a hunting bow and that’s what they designed it for.

09-Jul-18
Precisely. I’ve never heard of a shorter sight radius being desirable, at least from an an accuracy perspective. I’ve seen and handled these bows. If you like them, go for it. I’ll pass

09-Jul-18
You guys are correct as I read the sights are good until about 40 yards which is more then max for me here in the Northeast. This is strictly a hunting bow as I don’t do any 3D or competition.

09-Jul-18
I had never heard of or seen a Gearhead, so I looked them up. Pretty cool looking weapon! Well I put my stock in Matthews for the 3rd bow in a row, hopefully the Triax is as good to me as my z7 has been.

09-Jul-18
I think a lot of paranoia out there.... go to the cross bow site, and and I also like those but they are getting there nose out of joint, over the speed the of their bows, and the guy that is worried about it, is from cross bow magazine..................

Compound and cross bows are never going to be guns, use and have fun with what you want................................

I also love to shoot my long bow, so maybe someday they will bring back a primitive season,,,, but I do not seet it

10-Jul-18
I was using a 2003 Hoyt cybertec. Until last year. My new halon 32 has me very excited.

10-Jul-18
I picked up a Bowtech Realm for an amazingly big deal. Best bow I have ever shot.

10-Jul-18
I have a Bowtech Realm and I just left a Mathews Halon 32 in Africa as a tip. I love new bows. I am literally excited to go to the bow shop today and find one to replace the Mathews.

New bows are expensive, no doubt.

Divorces are more expensive, my wife of 33 years will not let me have a girlfriend, so a new bow it is.

Life is good have fun!

10-Jul-18
They're pretty much cookie cutters

11-Jul-18
After shooting rattling junkies realm I'm working some more overtime and a new realmX in the flat dark earth has been ordered, I didn't think I would be buying a new bow just yet, but these things are nice!

11-Jul-18

Missouribreaks's Link

19-Jul-18
Jack Harris, If you really want to feel excitement in bowhunting. You will know what excitement is when you make your first bow kill with your recurve.

30-Jul-18

Jack Harris's embedded Photo
First 20 yard 3 shot group with a broadhead
First 20 yard 3 shot group with a broadhead
Well I shot the TRIAX, and it excited me enough to take the plunge! She is already dialed in with my 15-25 yard pin, and it seems that although this is only a 60# bow, she likes the same heavier 340 spine shafts and VPA broadheads that my 65# Z7 did. No need to change my arrows. The top arrow is a 125gr VPA, the two arrows just under it at 20 yards are field points. No more shooting groups with this bow! Just have two more pins to set on the 3-pin IQ sight (love this sight already - so easy to adjust). Also the IQ is already showing me that after about 9 arrows, my grip starts to change and hand torque could set in.

30-Jul-18
Nice Rig! Feel a noticable difference from you z7?

30-Jul-18
"Nice Rig! Feel a noticable difference from you z7?" Yes - despite being more compact with much shorter ATA, it's a tad smoother on the draw, even more dead in hand, a tad quieter and at 5# less draw weight, a bit faster. I would have had to invest in new strings and cables to stay with the z7, so I guess it really was "time" after all.

01-Aug-18
Are I incorrect in saying modern compound bows have for what ever the reasons/reasons hit he peek of their USABLE performance envelope? Not unlike F1 or other race cars that they can make go much faster but the drivers or in our case archers are not physically able to control them.

01-Aug-18

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
I have owned quite a few bows in my time from Bear to Parker to Pearson to Elite but non have the wow factor of my new Gearhead. This bow is legit and very practical due to its size. I can say that I may never go to another bow company. This thing turned heads at the archery shop. I took a gamble buying without trying and it does not disappoint.

01-Aug-18
Jack you better be shooting that recurve! Boone camp OHIO is traditional only this year!

07-Aug-18
It really gets down to what you like and what feels right. Let me tell you how its been exciting for me. Try buying a bow for someone else. I have had the joy of shopping with and for my kids and as they grow I have had to repeat the exercise annually for the last several years. I have tested many bows at several shops at all price ranges. I really think price has no bearing any more as most modern bows are as good as the archer. What works for one doesn't work for the other (e.g. had to be purple, light weight, adjustable, for my daughter) so you really start noticing the differences more as part of determining what each kid likes vs what they actually shoot best vs what you might like and what shot best for you. The Hoyt Defiants were fun to shoot (and I had never like Hoyts jumpiness); one was scary fast and if I was just target shooting for fun I would have got it just for the sheer awe of shooting something that fast. I'm sure the novelty would have worn off but it was a blast trying it out at the shop. The other had a nice smooth draw and was amazingly accurate and shootable (compared to my past impression of hoyt) though I could feel the hand shock (not as dead as advertised). Of course, like others say, my current old bow is just as accurate so nothing to be gained. For me the old matthews used to feel like an upside down bat and I didn't like that; the new ones feel very balanced. Still one of the best dead in hand experiences. Way too many moving parts to adjust for my taste. I can appreciate the tech behind it all but that doesn't make me like it more than other bows that feel just as good to shoot. One of my boys has a carbon bow. Great bow for him but it just feels too light for me to hold steady. Weigh it down and/or crank up the weight to provide some tension. Just felt unnatural to me at his draw weight. When I want light, I use my recurve. If you haven't shot a carbon bow, try it, you might like it. No vibration. I really like my sons PSE Brute Force (yup mid range bow). Fast as my bowtech bow, just as accurate (or better), quiet, easy smooth pull back, long forgiving valley, tunable. Soon as he gets a bit taller I'm buying him a new bow just so I can take this one away from him :O). It may not be "new" tech but it really feels good to shoot and both he and I can really group arrows out to quite some distance (he wants to try 100yd shots now). Short version: you never now what's going to tickle you. Just go out and keep trying the new equipment (at all price ranges) because its fun even if it doesn't excite you. Eventually something might spark your interest. I am still waiting to try out some of the unusual offerings like the sling shot or some of those really short bows. I actually think the next up for me is trying and buying all the kids recurves. I think I got them addicted this summer and that is exciting all by itself.

• Sitka Gear