longbeard 19-Jun-18
Eric Vaillancourt 19-Jun-18
drycreek 19-Jun-18
nutritionist 20-Jun-18
Wayniac 20-Jun-18
Eric Vaillancourt 21-Jun-18
Bou'bound 21-Jun-18
19-Jun-18
I purchased 122 acres in Litchfield County a few months ago and am new to food plots. The land is almost all forest. I have cleared and limed a few spots. I liked according to the soil samples I sent in to UCONN.

The lime has been down for 2 months. I have sprayed round up and also brought in some top soil.

Any suggestions on what to plant for this area or next steps?

Thanks for any and all ideas.

19-Jun-18
Pat is your huckleberry !

19-Jun-18
Eric tell us what your strategy is first. Are you a bow hunter? and do you want early season plots? All season plots? How big are each of the plots?

19-Jun-18
Congrats! I will follow along as I know nothing of your area. Do know you will become addicted. Best wishes.

19-Jun-18
I am a bowhunter. Truth be told I likely won’t shoot any deer on this property. I prefer to watch them at home verses hunt them where I live. The plot I am working on now is about a half acre. I also have a logging Road that I am working on that is about 600 yards long by 15' wide. It won’t get as much sun as the other plot.

The purpose of the plots is to attract wildlife for viewing. I intend to put in 4-5 more plots as time allows.

19-Jun-18
I live a long way from CT, but I figure clover will work in your roads. I've had no trouble growing clover in some pretty shaded areas as long as the ground is right, (ph neutral and not sandy).

20-Jun-18
Step 1 get a soil test Step 2, come up with a long term plan. step 3 consider what you want to plant next year as anything planted this year will affect next year.

If you want to learn, i have written 2 books with a third on the way. I have numerous videos to help on youtube as well as social media. I also offer for $20 per year private seminars for people every other week covering any topic one can imagine.

I spend pretty much most of my hours awake consulting with people. So, if you need help, feel free to reach out to me.

20-Jun-18
Another CT resident here - good luck with your acreage. You're up in Bear and Moose areas, right? Some good sized bucks have been taken out of Litchfield county too.

Though I am not overly educated on food plots, I'd suggest a mix of early and late season food sources - that way if you ever decide to hunt it, it's available.

Also - consider leaving and/or planting some cover type structure if not much exists.. that will keep the animals coming in, or offer them shelter from adjacent properties that may be hunted hard.

Good luck!

21-Jun-18
I am in moose and bear country. I have plenty of cover. There are also two ponds and a stream running through the property.

21-Jun-18
Soybeans attract deer great

• Sitka Gear