Treeline 19-Jun-18
Adventurewriter 19-Jun-18
Branden 20-Jun-18
cnelk 20-Jun-18
NoWiser 20-Jun-18
sticksender 20-Jun-18
BOWUNTR 20-Jun-18
19-Jun-18
Lots of blood in the water with the recent Colorado applications... I know Wyoming lets you share points... wonder if this is a viable thing in Colorado.... I have the knowledge...skills...and gear... you have the points...

One issue I don't think has been brought up in all the other threads about app's, aging hunters and hunter recruitment is the dying skills sets...its one thing to get geared up with a tag it is a whole other universe to really know what to do and approach it all..

If those hunters don't make it to the field...those skills are never passed on. Yeah I know you can take someone and go in the field without a tag...but let's talk reality most won't do it unless it is someone really close and near and dear or someone who has helped them in the past ie; another skilled hunter.....

Thoughts???

19-Jun-18
I didn't think CO let you share your points. Is that a new development, have I misunderstood the system? If yes, I might be interested at some point as I have 12 points and will look to cash them in a few years. I'd gladly share my points with someone who knows an area well over using 12-15 points on a unit that I can draw solo. I do plan on doing that in WY as I hope to burn my points again next year and then share a buddy's points a couple years later and then look for someone who will share theirs in exchange for knowledge of the area, a decent camp, ATVs, etc.

19-Jun-18
They don’t allow it. And that’s all we need. 3 dollar pp’s and point sharing so everyone can sign up there mom, wife, sister, Uncle Eddie, Peggy Sue and everyone else they know. Pretty soon 0 point units will be 5 and everything else will be 20.

19-Jun-18
All for point sharing (averaging) for group applicants. I think Colorado is the only state that doesn’t average group applications.

From my perspective, it increases point creep to not allow it. Many guys will jump in with a group of buddies rather than continuing to hold out for those high point units and it will pull them out of the running plus allow families to hunt together by having the points to do so as a group.

That idiotic “points banking” was rediculous and should not be considered but averaging group apps would be a good thing.

19-Jun-18
Pretty sure the price of admission for points is going to see a jump UCS...

19-Jun-18
They don't allow it because they allow you to return your tag and keep your points. You can't allow both or else Grandma becomes the points mule so people with zero can hunt every year and she just returns the tag.

19-Jun-18
Treeline, it’ll jump for sure. But sharing will make it worse. A guy gets 10 people to apply with him. For simplicity after 5 years he puts in my himself. Next year he point shares with person 1 and had 3 average, next year with person 2, 3.5 points, next year with person 3, 4 points, and so on. The lengths guys go to hunt elk, you know this isn’t an extreme! Especially with 3 dollar points. Why would anybody be for point sharing in this example!?!?

19-Jun-18
Im ok with point sharing as long as one loophole is addressed:

Applicant Joe has 20 points, he offers to put in with a couple guys that have less points and are willing to be generou$ toward$ Joe. All three draw, Joe turns in his tag and is ready to "help" a couple more guys next year.

19-Jun-18
Not allowed and hope it never is

19-Jun-18
Remove the option to keep points if you turn in your tag across the board.

Go to 100% draw for NR elk and add more resident draw areas.

19-Jun-18
It would lead to buying or selling shared points. Why does somebody deserve to draw a tag more than me just because their buddy has a bunch of points? No thanks for many reasons.

19-Jun-18
I got a better one for ya.. what if the CPW said.. in 2019 you have to use your points or lose em', but only for elk, deer and pronghorn.. and if not drawn, no points awarded..Then in 2020 everyone starts at zero.. wouldn't that be fun to watch... It would be freak out city..

19-Jun-18
Remove the option to buy or sell points by removing the option to keep them if drawn.

If it is such a horrible option, why is Colorado the only state that does not use it?

I absolutely would have rather used my points for a good draw hunt with my son or friends rather than waiting to hunt alone in 2 for elk.

19-Jun-18
You know I up in the air...to prevent the grannie getting the tags there could be some sort of needs to be within 5 miles and prove it during the hunt.. and unless I got this wrong ( pretty sure I don't in AZ grannie can draw a tag and give it to a family member...that is CRAZY!!!! Pretty sure Treeline dumped a tons of antelope point this year to "point down' and hunt with someone else....

20-Jun-18
No point sharing!

From my perspective it will increase point creep way more then what we have already. Here is my reasoning and its not including having grandma apply for points also.

Why is there point creep?? Because there are more applicants then there are tags available. So now that we have thousands of applicants with double digit points, what happens when I share points with my brother and we hunt apply for 49 and draw? Instead of one applicant with 16 points drawing one tag, that applicant is essentially drawing 2 tags. Or lets say I apply for 66 with 3 others that have zero points? Now one applicant is basically drawing 4 tags. I'm not sure how that would not change point creep to point leap?

Anyway that's how I see it going and that's not taking into account applying someone just to use their points.

20-Jun-18
Wont happen.

The CPW wont make any significant to Pref Points in the next BGSS - i.e. Point Banking or Point Sharing

20-Jun-18
Lots of nonhunter family and friends building points in AZ and the same will happen in Colorado. When they share points and draw, it takes 2 tags out of the system even though only 1 gets used. It's a bad idea. Colorado has it figured out.

20-Jun-18
If they allowed point averaging, I'd have to apply every non-hunting family member and friend I could find. It'd be foolish not to, especially at only 56.00 per shill, plus the 3.00 per-species fee. Thousands would likely do the same, boosting the applicant pools, once again, by several fold more. Explain this potential windfall to CDPW and they might jump on it, just like the no-pay-up-front gig!

20-Jun-18
Being allowed to turn your tag in and keep your points is ridiculous... Lots of opportunity for abuse. I like point sharing and would consider using my worthless Colorado points if it was available. Ed F

• Sitka Gear